- [May] 1971
The gas works building located at 251 Front St., built in 1887-1888, belonged to the Consumers Gas Company and produced gas for light fixtures. It was known as Purifying House No. 2. The file contains an image of the interior of the building being gutted. The basilica-style interior space is evident in the empty room. In 1985, The Canadian Opera Company purchased the buildings north of the lane and commenced an comprehensive $10 million restoration program with Bregman, Hamann and Arcop Associates. It would later house the Imperial Oil Opera Theatre and the Joey and Toby Tanenbaum Opera Centre.