Title and statement of responsibility area
Vocational Training schools and Training and Re-establishment Institutes
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
51 cm of textual records
34 cm of textual records (7 o/s ledgers)
22 cm of published materials
4 cm of graphic materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Toronto's Training and Re-establishment Institute was located in the vacated Department of Education buildings on Gould Street (RCAF Training School during the War). TRIT, as it became known, offered technical, matriculation, and commercial training courses. They included architectural drafting, mechanical drafting, plastering, bricklaying, plumbing, steam fitting, sheet metal, painting and decorating, Sign painting, carpentry, mill work, cabinet making, upholstery, wood finishing, electrical construction, electrical maintenance, radio broadcast technicians, industrial electronic technicians, radio servicing technicians, radio announcing and broadcasting, radio commercial operators, radio and electrical appliance servicing, chefs, bakery, horology, gem setting, graphic arts, machinist, tool making, welding, forging, women's tailoring, dressmaking, homemaking, practical nursing, photography, motor winding, stationary engineering, barbering, hairdressing and beauty culture, telegraphy, refrigeration and air conditioning, piano tuning and repair, and printing trades. The School of Photography and the School of Graphic Arts were singular to Toronto.
The training ended in 1947, with many of the courses being rolled over into the new Ryerson Institute of Technology, which opened in 1948.
The vocational and matriculation rehabilitation of Canada's war veterans was undertaken by Canadian Vocational Training - a Dominion-provincial organization under the direction of the Dominion Department of Labour. Every province had some degree of program for the training of returning veterans.
Ontario offered technical training, matriculation, commercial, agriculture, and mining training with centre is Toronto, London, Hamilton, Kitchener, Windsor, Fort William, Brockville, Prescott, Kingston, North Bay, Ottawa, Guelph, Kemptville, and Haileybury.
Scope and content
The record group contains records created during the period of 1937-1947 relating to vocational training for Canada's returning war veterans. There are some War training records as well. The bulk of the materials relates to the Toronto Training and Re-establishment Institute located at 50 Gould Street in the old Department of Education offices and buildings. Materials include books, photographs, reports, catalogues, brochures, books, objects, and textual records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Records under review. Contact the Archives for information on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See F 849; F 858.