Title and statement of responsibility area
Victoria, Centennial Square Project
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[June] 1965-[November] 1966 (Creation)
- Fulker, John
Physical description area
15 photographs : b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
Mayor Roderick Finlayson's first objective after his election to office in January of 1878 was to erect a city hall. Overriding the opinions of the townsfolk who considered the whole idea an unnecessary extravagance, $10,000 was allocated and a competition announced for plans. The winner was John Teague. City Hall was to contain a corn market, surveyors' quarters, apartments for the assessor, a jail, a police court, a council chamber, committee rooms, and a museum gallery. The final form was a rectangular block, now comprising the south wing of the present City Hall. A good example of the Second Empire style, it is built in red brick with a tin mansard roof. The 1881 addition consisted of a small wing on the south-west corner for the Fire Department. In 1891 City Council approved a bylaw for the borrowing of $35,000 for the completion of the northeast addition. The new wing added to the existing building constitutes the present City Hall as it is seen today. In 1891, the main entrance was moved to the base of the tower block at the center of the Douglas elevation. The facade is divided into three bays, the projecting center bay carries the thrust of the 140-foot-tall brick and stone tower block. The entrance is further accented by a balustrade over the indented porch. On May 6, 1891, C.E. Redfern was awarded the contract for the installation of the clock which had been manufactured by Messrs. Gillet & Johnson of Croydon, Surrey, England. Four 500-pound dials each 706 inches in diameter and the 2,170 pound bell had to be lifted into place. The clock requires winding once a week. Since 1891 there have been no major alternations, except those connected with the Centennial Square project in 1963. At this time the interior was completely renovated and an International Style addition was constructed at the west end. This was carried out by the architectural firms of Wade, Stockdill, Armour & Partners and R.W. Siddall & Associates, under the direction of Rod Clack, city architectural consultant and director of special planning projects.
Architect: John Teague
Additions: Wade, Stockdill, Armour, R.W. Sidall, R. Clack
The focal point is a fountain, its balustraded rim reminiscent of pieces from Oscar Niemeyer's Brazilia scheme (1958), and the mosaic concrete totems by local artist J.C.S. Wilkinson. The fountain was a centennial gift to the City from neighbouring municipalities.
This folder also contains photographs of the Civic Square in Victoria, B.C from June 1965.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Digital images are available.
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Digital copies only. Original records are not accessible/viewable using the equipment in the reading room. Digital copies may be viewed onsite.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
John Fulker, Photographer.
Verso: photographer stamp, inscriptions.
Centennial Square project, Victoria, B.C. Canadian architect, 1966 Nov., v. 11, p. 55-60.