Victoria

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Victoria

Victoria

Equivalent terms

Victoria

Associated terms

Victoria

13 Archival description results for Victoria

13 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Victoria, Dominion Astrophysical Observatory

Completed in 1918, by the Canadian Government this observatory was proposed and designed by John S. Plaskett in 1910 with the support of the International Union for Cooperation in Solar Research, when the 72-inch aperture telescope was constructed, it was planned to be the largest telescope in the world but delays meant it saw first light after the Hooker 100-inch telescope.
The Centre of the Universe is the public interpretive centre for the observatory. The centre features interactive exhibits about astronomy, the work of the observatory and its parent organization, the NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics. There are also tours of the telescope and programs in the planetarium and video theatre.
The folder consists of one b&w photograph of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. On verso: "new housing for 16in. telescope operated by Dominion Astrophysical Observatory on top of Little Saanich Mountain near Victoria, B.C. is constructed of fir plywood structural assemblies. Architect was James Langford, Chief Architect with Department of Public Works, while Roger Kemble of Kemble-Webber Architects, Vancouver, was the consultant. Johnson Construction Ltd., of Victoria, were the general contractors.

Fulker, John

Victoria, BC Legislature

1893 Legislative Buildings, Victoria, B.C
British High Victorian Gothic, mid-nineteenth century Italianate and American Richardsonian Romanesque styles.
Three photographs depicts the House of commons before renovation.

Fulker, John & Barnard

Royal Roads University

File contains a certificate from Royal Roads University Chair and Chancellor J. Peter Meekison to commemorate Chancellor Bloomberg's installation.

Royal Roads University

File contains a certificate and letter sent by Royal Roads University President and Vice-Chancellor Dr. Allan Cahoon to commemorate President Lachemi's installation.

University of Victoria

File contains a letter and a certificate sent by University of Victoria Chancellor Shelagh Rogers, President Jamie Cassels, and Board of Governors chair Tracy Redies to commemorate President Lachemi's installation.

Victoria, Centennial Square Project

Mayor Roderick Finlayson's first objective after his election to office in January of 1878 was to erect a city hall. Overriding the opinions of the townsfolk who considered the whole idea an unnecessary extravagance, $10,000 was allocated and a competition announced for plans. The winner was John Teague. City Hall was to contain a corn market, surveyors' quarters, apartments for the assessor, a jail, a police court, a council chamber, committee rooms, and a museum gallery. The final form was a rectangular block, now comprising the south wing of the present City Hall. A good example of the Second Empire style, it is built in red brick with a tin mansard roof. The 1881 addition consisted of a small wing on the south-west corner for the Fire Department. In 1891 City Council approved a bylaw for the borrowing of $35,000 for the completion of the northeast addition. The new wing added to the existing building constitutes the present City Hall as it is seen today. In 1891, the main entrance was moved to the base of the tower block at the center of the Douglas elevation. The facade is divided into three bays, the projecting center bay carries the thrust of the 140-foot-tall brick and stone tower block. The entrance is further accented by a balustrade over the indented porch. On May 6, 1891, C.E. Redfern was awarded the contract for the installation of the clock which had been manufactured by Messrs. Gillet & Johnson of Croydon, Surrey, England. Four 500-pound dials each 706 inches in diameter and the 2,170 pound bell had to be lifted into place. The clock requires winding once a week. Since 1891 there have been no major alternations, except those connected with the Centennial Square project in 1963. At this time the interior was completely renovated and an International Style addition was constructed at the west end. This was carried out by the architectural firms of Wade, Stockdill, Armour & Partners and R.W. Siddall & Associates, under the direction of Rod Clack, city architectural consultant and director of special planning projects.
Architect: John Teague
Additions: Wade, Stockdill, Armour, R.W. Sidall, R. Clack

http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/Architecture/ma/urban_planning/centennial_square/city_hall.html
The focal point is a fountain, its balustraded rim reminiscent of pieces from Oscar Niemeyer's Brazilia scheme (1958), and the mosaic concrete totems by local artist J.C.S. Wilkinson. The fountain was a centennial gift to the City from neighbouring municipalities.
This folder also contains photographs of the Civic Square in Victoria, B.C from June 1965.

Fulker, John

British Columbia album

Black cover embossed with "photographs" in gold, bound with black string. Black pages. Notations in white ink. Photographs mounted using black photo corners. A few loose photographs. Many photographs missing.

Sites include: St. Mary's River, the Rockies, Kicking Horse River, Arrow Lakes, Harrison Lake, Stanley Park, Vancouver Tennis Clubhouse in Shaugnessy Heights, Rose Gardens in the Empress Hotel Grounds, Canadian National Park Wainwright, Saskatchewan wheat fields,

Locations include: Calgary, Field, Nakusp, Vancouver, the Malahat,

Themes include: portraits, scenic landscapes and waterscapes, gardening, early cars, animals, early tractors, rural farm life, wheat harvesting, houses, churches, early ferries.

Notable: President Harding in Stanley Park, 1923.