Theaters

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Theaters

Equivalent terms

Theaters

Associated terms

Theaters

104 Archival description results for Theaters

104 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Montreal, La Comédie-Canadienne theatre

Photographs of the renovation of the former Radio-City cinema in Montreal. It was purchased by Gratien Gélinas for La Comédie-Canadienne in 1957 and renovated by André Blouin.

La Comédie-Canadienne was active from 1958-1969. The company produced Canadian and Québecois theatre, dance and music productions. The company closed down in 1973 and its theatre became the permanent home of the of Theatre du Noveau Monde (http://www.tnm.qc.ca).

Taillefer, Paul

Victoria, Centennial Square Project

Mayor Roderick Finlayson's first objective after his election to office in January of 1878 was to erect a city hall. Overriding the opinions of the townsfolk who considered the whole idea an unnecessary extravagance, $10,000 was allocated and a competition announced for plans. The winner was John Teague. City Hall was to contain a corn market, surveyors' quarters, apartments for the assessor, a jail, a police court, a council chamber, committee rooms, and a museum gallery. The final form was a rectangular block, now comprising the south wing of the present City Hall. A good example of the Second Empire style, it is built in red brick with a tin mansard roof. The 1881 addition consisted of a small wing on the south-west corner for the Fire Department. In 1891 City Council approved a bylaw for the borrowing of $35,000 for the completion of the northeast addition. The new wing added to the existing building constitutes the present City Hall as it is seen today. In 1891, the main entrance was moved to the base of the tower block at the center of the Douglas elevation. The facade is divided into three bays, the projecting center bay carries the thrust of the 140-foot-tall brick and stone tower block. The entrance is further accented by a balustrade over the indented porch. On May 6, 1891, C.E. Redfern was awarded the contract for the installation of the clock which had been manufactured by Messrs. Gillet & Johnson of Croydon, Surrey, England. Four 500-pound dials each 706 inches in diameter and the 2,170 pound bell had to be lifted into place. The clock requires winding once a week. Since 1891 there have been no major alternations, except those connected with the Centennial Square project in 1963. At this time the interior was completely renovated and an International Style addition was constructed at the west end. This was carried out by the architectural firms of Wade, Stockdill, Armour & Partners and R.W. Siddall & Associates, under the direction of Rod Clack, city architectural consultant and director of special planning projects.
Architect: John Teague
Additions: Wade, Stockdill, Armour, R.W. Sidall, R. Clack

http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/Architecture/ma/urban_planning/centennial_square/city_hall.html
The focal point is a fountain, its balustraded rim reminiscent of pieces from Oscar Niemeyer's Brazilia scheme (1958), and the mosaic concrete totems by local artist J.C.S. Wilkinson. The fountain was a centennial gift to the City from neighbouring municipalities.
This folder also contains photographs of the Civic Square in Victoria, B.C from June 1965.

Fulker, John

Stereographs, South America (Chile, Venezuela, Brazil & Argentina)

File consists of stereographs and stereographic sets depicting scenes, famous location,s and structures from South America, such as theaters, docks, and cities.

8 stereoscopic photographs by Keystone View Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by Underwood & Underwood
1 stereoscopic photograph by H. C. White Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by an unidentified publisher
1 set of 15 stereoscopic photographs by Whiting View Co.

Isabel Bader Theatre

File consists of 43 images of the Isabel Bader Theatre on the University of Toronto campus. Views include exterior shots of the theatre, stage and seating, entryway and stairwell, and entrance. Designed by Lett-Smith Architects.

Burley, Robert

Results 101 to 104 of 104