Item RG 0.04.39 - The Memorial Church Port Ryerse Plate

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

The Memorial Church Port Ryerse Plate

General material designation

  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

RG 0.04.39

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [1795-1812] (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 plate: off-white ceramic with gold trim ; 2 cm x 23 cm x 23 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Scope and content

One commemorative plate with a church illustration and the inscription"The Memorial Church Port Ryerse." The church was most likely an Anglican Memorial Church (United Empire Loyalist) established by Port Ryerse's founding father Samuel Ryerson (1752-1812) and his brother Joseph Ryerson (1761-1854).

"The quaint historic village of Port Ryerse is located west of Port Dover and sits high on a hill overlooking the north shore of Lake Erie. It is a small community imbued with history dating back to the early beginning of our illustrious province. Village founding father Loyalist Samuel Ryerse (1752-1812) arrived in 1795 at the mouth of Young's Creek in Woodhouse Township.

The Ryerse family had originally lived on a farm located in the heart of Manhattan, New York, on land later occupied by the World Trade Center.

Samuel’s brother, Joseph Ryerson (1761-1854), followed in 1798. Historians will be familiar with Joseph’s youngest son, the Rev. Adolphus Egerton Ryerson, acknowledged founder of Ontario's public school system and for whom Ryerson University is named.

Together, Samuel and Joseph established a thriving and vibrant port community. Unfortunately, all that was built was soon lost; the village was razed by the Americans during the War of 1812. "

Source: https://www.ontariohistoricalsociety.ca/index.php/45-ohs-news-blog/181-historic-ontario-village-of-port-ryerse-pays-tribute-to-its-african-canadian-roots

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The plate was donated in 2012 by library staff member Kevin Manuel

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres