Title and statement of responsibility area
Kodak stereo transparencies
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1959] (Creation)
- Image Arts
Physical description area
82 photographs : stereo transparencies, col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Name of creator
Founded in 1802 on Silver Street in Waterbury, CT, Abel Porter & Co. began by producing brass and copper items and sewing hardware. Under the new partnership of Leavenworth, Hayden & Scovill of 1811, the company continued to produce brass buttons, including a military contract to produce civil war artillery buttons.
Having been already set up for the production of metal items, J.M.L Scovill and W.H. Scovill began manufacturing silvered plates in 1839, shortly after the presentation of Daguerreotype photography. In about a year, Scovill plates were of equal quality to plates manufactured in Paris.
The Scovills became notable suppliers of photographic supplies after opening a New York storefront in 1846, which carried a full line of cameras, photographic equipment and supplies.
The Scovill company continued to grow; it was incorporated as Scovill Manufacturing Company in 1850 and acquired the American Optical Company in 1867. This broadened their manufacturing line to include the box cameras and stereoscopes produced by American Optical.
Some organizational change followed when, in 1889, an officer took over the company, changing the name to Scovill & Adam's. The company's name changed again, to The Scovill & Anthony Company, when it merged with the E. & H.T. Anthony Company in 1902.
In 1907, this handle was abbreviated to "ANSCO". The company continued to produce photographic equipment under that brand name until 1928, when they merged with the German manufacturer, Agfa.
Scope and content
Item consists of 82 Kodachrome and Anscochrome stereo colour transparencies, fragments of developed 35mm colour film, and a paper index. The paper index indicates that the images are of Fort York, Kaplan Kids - Vancouver, Miami - 1958 - Greenes, Bobby's Birthdays, The House, The Family, Friends + Relatives, Cities - Ottawa Montreal Quebec, Winter - Hockey, Grey Cup - 1956, Golf Partners, Balfour Beach - The Pachters, Bank of Commerce Building, Friends and Relatives - Neufelds - Edmonton - Naplaus Vancouver.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Items are from the PPCM donation, accession number 2013.002.
Moved to the Historical Photographic Processes Collection in 2019
Standard number area
Name access points
- School of Image Arts (Subject)