Title and statement of responsibility area
Review of Journalism
General material designation
- Textual record
[formerly] Ryerson Review of Journalism.
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- School of Journalism
Physical description area
45 cm of published materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1949 Journalism and Publishing was offered during the 1949-1950 school year as a second year option by the School of Graphic Arts and in April, 1950 Ryerson Principal H.H. Kerr announced the introduction of a three-year diploma course in Journalism and Publicity. In 1950-51 two streams offered by the School of Graphic Arts- “Journalism and Publicity” and “Publishing and in 1951-52 three streams offered by School of Graphic Arts: “Practical Journalism,” “Printing and Publishing” and “Printing and Management.” In 1959-60 “Journalism” and “Print Management” split into two distinct academic programmes, although headed by the same director. In 1965-66 the Communications Department formed under Ted Schrader- grouped together Journalism, RTA, Photographic Arts and Graphic Arts Management and in 1970-71 the Communications Department was discontinued. That Department became the Division of Applied Arts. In April, 1972 Academic Standards Council approved degree status for Journalism, granting a Bachelor of Applied Arts and in Oct. 20, 1989 Academic Council approves adding a fourth year to the Journalism program. In 2000 the degree named changed from a Bachelor of Applied Arts to the Bachelor of Journalism.
Scope and content
Started in the Spring of 1984 as a yearly publication by the School of Journalism, it became a twice yearly publication in 1995 with Spring and Summer editions. In 2011 it switched to summer and winter editions. In 2013 the RRJ began publishing only one edition again. The editors of the journal are all Ryerson Students.
In May of 2021 a renaming committee recommended that the names of both the Ryersonian and the Ryerson Review of Journalism should be changed. The School Council unanimously approved these motions. Ryerson was removed from the name of the magazine.
These changes are in line with the University's announcement of its intention to change the name of the University in time for the 2022-2023 school year. This change was one of 22 recommendations put forward by the Standing Strong Taskforce whose mandate was to to develop principles to guide commemoration at the university and to respond to the history and legacy of Egerton Ryerson within the context of the university’s values.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright held by publisher.