47 Archival description results for Religious structures
8 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- [after 1904]
Cyanotype image of a church on a country road, with a child standing in driveway. Gate to church is closed. Inscription handwritten in black ink on recto "English Church." Paper is very thin. Dated 1904 because same handwriting as 2008.001.1881.
- [after 1904]
Cyanotype image of a church with its surrounding grounds. Looks like a swing set in background. Inscription handwritten in black ink on recto "Presbyterian Church." Paper very thin. Dated 1904 because same handwriting as 2008.001.1881.
- [after 1904]
Cyanotype image of a church and its grounds. Neighbouring houses in background. Power lines and poles are obvious in picture. Inscription handwritten in black ink on recto "Methodist Church." Paper very thin. Dated 1904 because same handwriting as 2008.001.1881.
Lantern slide, glass B&W slide in wood frame. Image framed in black. Sticker of a Y on wood frame. Printed on the slide "J. Levy & Cie Sucrs de Ferrier P.F. & Soulier - Paris." No information as to origin of image. Image of a cathedral or basilica, surounded by houses and/or buildings. View from above.
Lantern slide, glass B&W slide in wood frame. Image framed in black. Handwritten on sticker on glass "Baptistery Pisa." Printed on sticker on glass "T.H. McAllister, Manuf'g Optician, 49 Nassau Street." Image of the baptistery of the Cathedral of Pisa in Italy. It is round domed building, very ornately decorated. It is located in the Piazza dei Miracoli, near the Cathedral and the leaning Tower.
Lantern slide, wood frame with glass positive B & W slide. Handwritten in ink on a sticker on the slide "6266 St. Stephen's Vienna Levy & C. Suc. de Perrier P.F. & [blank]". Another sticker has the words printed on it "Manufactured for T.H. McAllister, New York." Image is of a church, almost an ariel view.
Lantern slide, glass B&W slide in wood frame. Image framed in black, and shaped like an circle. Y sticker on wood frame. Image of the interior of St Giles-without-Cripplegate Anglican church in London, England. It shows the tombs of Ben Johson, Edmond Spencer, John Milton and Samuel Butler. When the church was built it stood without (outside) the city wall, near the Cripplegate. The church is dedicated to St Giles, patron saint of beggars and cripples. It is one of the few medieval churches left in the City of London, having survived the Great Fire of 1666.
Matte print mounted on thin white paper, mounted on thicker mottled brown car. Photo depicts the interior of a 13th century Cicesterian monastery, converted to a Protestant nunnery. Photograph shows wood seating, stained glass windows, and painted walls and vaults. Verso inscription in pencil, top centre: "Wienhausen Klosterrcirche."
Matte print mounted on thin white paper, which is mounted on mottled light brown card. Image depicts the interior of a building, lower level, with stone walls, arched window openings, and arched ceilings. A wooden staircase is seen in the background. Verso inscription in pencil, upper centre: 'Wienhausen Unterer Kreuzgary." (Wienhausen, lower cloister)
Matte print on crosshatched/textured paper, ounted on grey paper, mounted on larger thick brown card. Copy from same negative as 2008.001.612. Depicts the interior of a building, perhaps a lower level, with stone walls, arched window openings, and arched ceilings. A wooden stircase is seen in the background. no inscriptions.
- [ca. 1971]
In 1971 a feasibility study investigated the possibility of demolishing the existing church and placing it in the body of a multi-storied high rise complex designed by Arthur Erickson. Although the redevelopment was supported by the majority of the
congregation, it was opposed by the public, and after much lobbying, in 1976 the cathedral was named a
Heritage building in the municipality of Vancouver and the Province of British Columbia. Architecture firm on the project was Erikson/Massey Architects of Vancouver, B.C.
1 photograph of the interior of Queens Avenue United Church in New Westminster, British Columbia.
- [March] 1958
1 black and white photograph of the interior of Saint Richard's Anglican Church in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
Item consists of brown, textured, hardcover, leather-bound album with decorative flower detailing on cover. Leather has worn off the spine. Pages are an off-white colour with decorative gold embossing and illustrative floral detail. Photographs slide in between two pieces of card that make each page and hold them in place.
Photographs are mostly portraits of one or two figures taken in studios across England, primarily around London, in towns and cities that include Brighton, Luton, Woburn, Tavistock, Bedford, Northampton and London. One photograph was made at J. C. Waler & Co. at 147 Yonge Street, Toronto.The address written inside the cover of the album is 61 High Street Ridgmont Bedford. Some notes and captions are written under and on the back of a few of the photographs in pencil and black ink. Inserted in the front page of the album are two loose pages with personal notes dated 1847 and 1881.
Studio names include: Chenhall & Son, The American Photo Co., W. Hall & Son, Powell Studios, T. Miller - Artist, Photo Artist - Lewes,
Names: W, M, Francis, T.G. Roberts The County Tea Exchange and Provision Warehouse [address was 45 & 46 High Street]
Matte borderless print mounted on thin white paper, then mounted on large brown card with deckled edges. Depicts a large church on a hill with surrounding town and landscape. Verso inscription, top left, in pencil: "Siena, S. Dominico." upper right, "N 29."
Matte borderless print mounted on slightly larger white paper, then mounted on brown card with deckled edges. Depicts a coutyard and collonnade of a large basilica. Verso inscription, pencil, top centre: "Rom. Kreuzgang S. Paolo fuori le mura." The basilica was constructed around 395 and has been restored many times since the 4th century, and it has been declared a national monument by the Italian government.
Matte print with white border, mounted on blue striped card. Depicts the interior of a church/cathedral, including altar with cross and candles, paintings, stained glass, relief sculpture, organ pipes, statuary, and ornaments hanging from the domed ceiling.
Matte print mounted on white paper, then mounted on large dark green card. Depicts the exterior of a stone church, with tile roof and clock on tower. Clock reads 2:00. no inscriptions.
Matte print with white border, mounted on brown card. Depicts a relief sculpture on the interior wall of a church. Sculpture includes various figures kneeling and standing, crests, text pantels in latin, columns and architectural elements. At the top of the frame, arches from the ceiling can be seen. At the bottom, top of door frame and seats are visible.
matte print mounted on white paper, mouned on large brown card. Depicts interior of church building perhaps cloisters on lower level as in 2008.001.612. Stained glass windows and arched ceilings are shown. Signature under bottom right corner of image seems to have been erased.
Matte print mounted on white paper and brown card with deckled edges. Depicts a roadway leading to a building with tile roof. Surrounding landscape inludes evergreen trees, bushes, etc. Verso inscription in pencil, upper left: "S. Miniato, of Florenz, N 23."
Matte print mounted on white paper and mottled yellow-brown card. Depicts church interior with wooden sculpture of the Christ figure laid on top of a painted sarcophagus. Verso inscription, pencil, upper centre: "Wienhausen Christussarkophag." The sculpture is made of oak and dates to the 13th century.
- [March] 1968
Interior and exterior views of a brick church building. A central rose window with icon of Mary and Child are photographed both front and back. Other photographs include views of the nave and altar, and decorative panels depicting the Stations of the Cross.
- [March] 1958
Interior church decoration, featuring metal letters adhered to the wall with phrases such as "God is Love". Views of altar and worship space, located at 41 Chatsworth Drive near Lawrence and Yonge Streets in Toronto.
- [February] 1958
Photograph of a nineteenth century clapboard church with bell tower which was removed from its location (pictured) due to the rising waters of the St. Lawrence seaway. (Information from typewritten caption pasted on verso.) The area being submerged was one of the earliest settled in Upper Canada and a key battle site during the War of 1812. This church was preserved as part of Upper Canada Village (Morrisburg, Ontario), a restored historic village operated as a museum and recreation area.
Capital Press Service
- [March] 1958
Exterior view of church entrance, with huge ceramic mural executed by Claude Vermette, and interior view of a decorative panel "Blessed Virgin Mary" designed by J. C. Charuet. Additional interior view of round altar in the centre of the church.
- [March] 1958
Black and white photograph of the interior of Shaunessy Height United Church in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- [ca. 1850-1992]
File consists of stereographs and stereo sets depicting religious statues, icons, dreams, angels/ghosts, buildings, artwork, and processions. Christianity is predominant focus, also include select Hindu and Shinto images.
8 Stereoscopic photographs by Kilburn Brothers, in association with James M. Davis
2 Stereoscopic photographs by C. Bierstadt
8 Stereoscopic photographs by Underwood & Underwood
2 Stereoscopic photographs by Strohmeyer & Wyman
12 Stereoscopic photographs by Littleton View Co.
9 Stereoscopic photographs by Keystone View Co.
2 Stereoscopic photographs by J. Elliot
3 Stereoscopic photographs by International Stereoscopic View Co.
2 Stereoscopic photographs by C. E. Goodman
2 Stereoscopic photographs by Robinson
1 Stereoscopic photograph by American Stereoscopic Co.
1 Stereoscopic photograph by The Canada View Co.
1 Stereoscopic photograph by Thorwalsden
1 Stereoscopic photograph by E. & H. T. Anthony & Co.
2 Stereoscopic photographs by Geo. G. Johnson
2 Stereoscopic photographs by T. W. Ingersoll
2 Stereoscopic photographs by Quaker Oats Co.
1 Stereoscopic photograph by Griffith & Griffith
3 stereoscopic photographs by F. G. Weller
1 stereoscopic photograph by G. Keller
1 stereoscopic photograph by Whiting View Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by London Stereoscopic and Photographic Company
80 Stereoscopic photographs by unidentified publishers
1 series called "Sunday School Lessons 1912" by Underwood & Underwood (Series #1)
1 series called "Sunday School Lessons 1913" by Underwood & Underwood (Series #2)
1 series called "Sunday School Lessons 1914" by Underwood & Underwood (Series #3)
1 series called " Travel Lessons on the Old Testament" by Underwood & Underwood, authored by Rev. Wm. Byron Forbush (Series #4)
1 series called " Travel Lessons on the Life of Jesus" by Underwood & Underwood, authored by Rev. Wm. Byron Forbush (Series #5)
- [ca. 1850-1992]
File consists of stereographs depicting structures and scenes from Greece and Turkey, such as temples and mosques.
4 stereoscopic photographs by Underwood & Underwood
6 stereoscopic photographs by Keystone View Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by H.C. White Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by E.J. Wardwell & Co.
7 stereoscopic photographs by unidentified publishers