9 Archival description results for Recreation centers
9 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- [April] 1985
Photographs of the interior and exterior of the pink brick building, designed as a series of 5 separate buildings. Views include a theatre with hardwood and granite floors, hallways, stairwells, an indoor pool area with coffered ceiling, outdoor track, and aerial views of the building.
Folder contains three photographic prints of the Chateau Whistler Resort. CAPTION verso:
An artist's impression of what the Chateau Whistler Resort will look like when it opens in late 1989 at Whistler, BC. Canadian Pacific Hotels Corporation is investing $50 million in construction of the 400 room luxury resort facility. It features a year round resort hotel. Chateau Whistler Resort's facilities inclde four outdoor and two covered tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and other recreational facilities, including plans for an 18 hole golf course.
- [ca. 2003]
Project binder describing the construction of the Côte Saint Luc Sports and Recreation Center in Quebec. The binder contains information on the architect, client, and consultants as well as a brief description of the landscape and the design influences, including the architects' incorporation of an existing pool pavilion adjacent to the building site. Floorplans and elevations are included as well as photographs of the finished building.
Affleck + de la Riva Architects
- [June] 1965-[November] 1966
Mayor Roderick Finlayson's first objective after his election to office in January of 1878 was to erect a city hall. Overriding the opinions of the townsfolk who considered the whole idea an unnecessary extravagance, $10,000 was allocated and a competition announced for plans. The winner was John Teague. City Hall was to contain a corn market, surveyors' quarters, apartments for the assessor, a jail, a police court, a council chamber, committee rooms, and a museum gallery. The final form was a rectangular block, now comprising the south wing of the present City Hall. A good example of the Second Empire style, it is built in red brick with a tin mansard roof. The 1881 addition consisted of a small wing on the south-west corner for the Fire Department. In 1891 City Council approved a bylaw for the borrowing of $35,000 for the completion of the northeast addition. The new wing added to the existing building constitutes the present City Hall as it is seen today. In 1891, the main entrance was moved to the base of the tower block at the center of the Douglas elevation. The facade is divided into three bays, the projecting center bay carries the thrust of the 140-foot-tall brick and stone tower block. The entrance is further accented by a balustrade over the indented porch. On May 6, 1891, C.E. Redfern was awarded the contract for the installation of the clock which had been manufactured by Messrs. Gillet & Johnson of Croydon, Surrey, England. Four 500-pound dials each 706 inches in diameter and the 2,170 pound bell had to be lifted into place. The clock requires winding once a week. Since 1891 there have been no major alternations, except those connected with the Centennial Square project in 1963. At this time the interior was completely renovated and an International Style addition was constructed at the west end. This was carried out by the architectural firms of Wade, Stockdill, Armour & Partners and R.W. Siddall & Associates, under the direction of Rod Clack, city architectural consultant and director of special planning projects.
Architect: John Teague
Additions: Wade, Stockdill, Armour, R.W. Sidall, R. Clack
The focal point is a fountain, its balustraded rim reminiscent of pieces from Oscar Niemeyer's Brazilia scheme (1958), and the mosaic concrete totems by local artist J.C.S. Wilkinson. The fountain was a centennial gift to the City from neighbouring municipalities.
This folder also contains photographs of the Civic Square in Victoria, B.C from June 1965.