Title and statement of responsibility area
Promotional film packages and stills
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Attributions and conjectures: Title of series based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[films produced 1924-2005] (Creation)
- Toronto Film Society
Physical description area
18 boxes of photographs and promotional material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Toronto Film Society was founded as "the Toronto Film Study Group" in 1948 by Dorothy and Oscar Burrit, and is one of Canada's oldest film appreciation societies. The "Summer Series" of film screenings the association presented began in a converted coachouse at 321 Church Street (the then home of photo agency Panda photography). The gorup was officially renamed the Toronto Film Society in 1950, and designated as a not for profit organization for the "study and apprecaition of film as an art". The original focus of the society was the screening of lesser known, non-commercial, independant, banned, or foreign films and eventually grew to include their preservation and restoration. As of 2013, the society ran serveral film screening series, showing films of all genres, produced from the 1920's to the 1960's, and membership was open to the general public.
Scope and content
The series consists of promotional packages and film stills (press kits) put together by various Canadian, American and international film production companies and collected by the Toronto Film Society.
Immediate source of acquisition
The series was part of a donated by Shirley Huges, Vice President of the Toronto Film Societ, in March 2009.
Original (alphabetical) arrangement kept, as complied by Donor.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Some material in French.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Toronto Film Society (Subject)