Stuk RG 114.38 - Oakham House dogs

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Oakham House dogs

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Object

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Stuk

referentie code

RG 114.38

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • ca. 1850 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    Thomas, William, 1799-1860

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

2 cast iron dogs
4 pp. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

Two cast iron retriever dogs used as horse ties when the house was built in 1848.
The dogs were designed by architect William Thomas to hitch horses to and were located in front of his Oakham House residence. Thomas lived in the house until his death in 1860. The house was sold to John McGee and then in 1899 the house, along with the dogs, was sold to the Society for Working Boys - a home for disadvantaged youth in Toronto. When Ryerson University acquired the building in 1959, the dogs, originally located at the building’s Church Street entrance, were no longer there. They had been removed to the new location of the boys' home. Ryerson retrieved the dogs in 1982 and the Toronto Historical Board wanted the pair to be mounted in their historical place in the front of the house. In the interest of protecting them from vandalism they were placed inside the house, by then the Student Centre, and in 2010 adopted by the Archives.

Also included are correspondence and related material to the "Name the Dogs" contest held by the Archives to celebrate the Dog's move to the Archive holdings.

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

Associated materials

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Status

Niveau van detaillering

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Taal van de beschrijving

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres