Item RG 114.38 - Oakham House dogs

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Oakham House dogs

General material designation

  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

RG 114.38

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • ca. 1850 (Creation)
    Creator
    Thomas, William, 1799-1860

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cast iron dogs
4 pp. of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Two cast iron retriever dogs used as horse ties when the house was built in 1848.
The dogs were designed by architect William Thomas to hitch horses to and were located in front of his Oakham House residence. Thomas lived in the house until his death in 1860. The house was sold to John McGee and then in 1899 the house, along with the dogs, was sold to the Society for Working Boys - a home for disadvantaged youth in Toronto. When Ryerson University acquired the building in 1959, the dogs, originally located at the building’s Church Street entrance, were no longer there. They had been removed to the new location of the boys' home. Ryerson retrieved the dogs in 1982 and the Toronto Historical Board wanted the pair to be mounted in their historical place in the front of the house. In the interest of protecting them from vandalism they were placed inside the house, by then the Student Centre, and in 2010 adopted by the Archives.

Also included are correspondence and related material to the "Name the Dogs" contest held by the Archives to celebrate the Dog's move to the Archive holdings.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres