- residential structures, 188 results
- Built Environment (hierarchy name), 188 results
- Single Built Works (hierarchy name), 188 results
- single built works (built environment), 188 results
- Dwellings, 183 results
- Houses, 84 results
- multiple dwellings, 41 results
- Apartment houses, 40 results
- Architecture, 36 results
- Architecture, Domestic, 36 results
North and Central America
- Within the logic of TGN,
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
North and Central America
- UF North America
- UF Central America
North and Central America
188 Archival description results for North and Central America
- [May] 1996
Photographs of the exterior of a building under construction, and two interior views looking out through the steel support beams, designed with 3 cubes balanced on their points on a rectangular concrete base. The idea was licensed from Dutch architect Piet Blom by Toronto entrepreneur Ben Kutner. Designed from prefabricated steel and glass, the houses were supposed to take advantage of otherwise unusable property space in Toronto like laneways and rooftops. The house has since been abandoned and the cubes are used for commercial signage.
Photograph of the rear garden area of an unknown residential building near Dundas and Sherbourne Streets in Toronto. A paved walkway separates the building from the rear entrances to neighbouring homes and apartments.
- [July] 1981, [August] 1987
Interior views of a remodelled 3-storey, semi-detached Victorian home, showing hallways with transom windows, stairwells, kitchen banquettes, shower stalls, and one exterior view of a Juliet balcony.
- [May] 1985
Exterior views of the mid-rise condominium complex in the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood, with central courtyard and street-level shopping arcade. One interior view of shopping concourse and one aerial view of area prior to development.
- [October] 1987
Interior and exterior views of a house renovation. The tall Victorian home was clad in grey shingle and pale wood, and the interior space was opened up and rounded statement walls painted green complement exposed metal piping. Views of dining room, kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom.
- [December] 1985
Award of Excellence CA Magazine December 1985
The complex consists of a 356 room hotel with restaurant and a convention facilities, retail stores, offices,apartments, and recreational and social amenities.
- [February] 1989
This building features western Red Cedar as its main material and reveals it's flexibility. In the Blackcomb style, this material is extremely durable and can withstand the variable conditions of the mountain.
- [ca. 2003]
Project binder describing the construction of Minton Hill House, a private residence for a single occupant in Quebec's Eastern Townships. The binder contains information on the architect, client, and consultants as well as a brief description of the landscape and the design influences. Floorplans and elevations are included as well as photographs of the finished residence.
Affleck + de la Riva Architects
- [ca. 1971]
Canadian Housing Design Council Award Winner 1971
"A small house which is carefully screened from street traffic by the retention of trees. Multi-levels and open planning add interest. A good lesson in planning particularly in regard to space and light." Owners; Mr & Mrs R. Dodson.
- [ca. 1971]
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Kiyooka residence in Vancouver, B.C. A residence for artist Roy Kenzie Kiyooka and his wife Monica Kiyooka. Winner ward for residential design 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. The designer of the residence was Mrs. Monica Kiyooka.
Caption on verso: "A delightful house which takes full advantage of a forest-river orientation...an open, stepped, plan with soaring spaces."
- [ca. 1971]
Canadian Housing Design Council Winner, Award for Residential Design 1971. " An outstanding example of how a simple design ('L" shape) can be set to achieve maximum privacy and capture the joys of site and sun".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Extract from jury report: "... materials and form relate sympathetically to the tall trees retained on the site... a sensitive siting and solution for a house which makes the most of the natural amentities of forest and stream".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owners: Mr. & MRS. B.C. Cobanli. Extract from jury report: " An exelent open-planned house... sky lights allow light to flood into rooms; cosy alcoves and depressed floors offset wide open speces".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owner: Mr. & Mrs. HP Brasso. Extract from jury report: "A large house on a magnificent site... the planning, materials and form are well used to support the grand nature of the interior spaces and vistas to the sea".
- (ca. 1965)
Verso: This attractive residence, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Douglas Barnett of Burnaby BC, earned an Award of Excellence for its designers Fred Thornton Hollingsworth and Barry Vance Downs in the recently concluded Canadian Wood Design Awards program of 1965. According to the judges, "traditional West Coast Materials, in the form of rough cedar boards, with carefully selected finishes, have provided an elegant and empathetic dwelling." The awards program was sponsored by the National Design Council and the Federal Department of Industry in association with the Canadian Wood council.
- [January] 1965
Credit photograph to Fred S. Schiffer, Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society.
The architect was inspired by the Japanese style SUKIYA, which means to bring harmony to a composition of disparate materials found in the rough.
Schiffer, Fred S.
- [January] 1971
Folder contains 4 b&w photographs of the Dalby residence in Vancouver, B.C. This water front home was built on a rock ledge to avoid disturbing the natrual gorwth and to necessitate little rock blasting. The architect was Fred Thornton Hollingsworth.
- [January] 1965
Folder contains 6 black and white photographic prints of the Danto Residence. The concept of the Danto house was a grand staircase-- a series of terraces following the slope of the site. Architect was Arthur Erikson.
Schiffer, Fred S.
- (ca. June 1980)
Folder consists of 5 b&w photographic prints of the Era Townhouses in Vancouver, B.C. The architecture firm on the project was Hawthorn Mansfield Towers Architects of Vancouver. The owner of the townhouses project was Werner Kahn. The project received an honour award from Canadian Architect magazine in June 1980.
- [ca. 1959]
Filberg House is an ethereal, glass-walled pavilion with undulating 14-foot ceilings and views that stretch across mountains, water and a seemingly infinite sky. The residence, hailed in a 1961 issue of Canadian Homes magazine as ''the most fabulous house in Canada,'' was an important early project of Arthur Erickson, the globe-trotting Vancouver architect whose recent work includes the Museum of Glass that opened last July in Tacoma, Wash.
- [June] 1980
File consists of 1 b&w photograph of the Forbes Residence in Vancouver, B.C. Architect was James K.M. Cheng. Appears to have been used in the June 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
- [February] 1965
Folder contains 3 b&w photographic prints of the Forrest Residence in Vancouver, B.C. The residence was designed by Thompson, Berwick, Pratt & Partners, Architects Engineers Planners. In a website pertaining to the photographer Selwyn Pullan, it features the architecture of numerous west-coast architects."His shot of Ron Thompson Forrest residence in West Vancouver makes it look like a living creature about to spring into the sky."
"As a body of work, his photos of Vancouver's modern architectural movement are a one-of-a-kind treasure trove, the primary photographic history of the heyday of Vancouver modernism."
- [May] 1972
This dense 100 unit public housing project will provide for single parent families and low income larger families. The idea is to integrate families with similar needs and life styles and to help to minimize stresses associated with public housing.
CA Magazine May 1972
- [July] 1966
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Graham Residence in West Vancouver, B.C. featured in CA Magazine July 1966. Architect was Arthur Erikson. The architectural marvel that Arthur Erickson has credited with kick-starting his career is in danger of being torn down. "The David Graham house in 1963 launched my reputation as the architect you went to when you had an impossible site, Erickson is quoted as saying in 1988's The Architecture of Arthur Erickson."
- [September] 1970
Folder contains 3 b&w photographs of the Smith Residence in South Delta, B.C. The architect was John Kay who is known for his organic architecture. Photographs are from CA Magazine September 1970.
- [ca. 1908]
Hotel Europe is a six-story heritage building located at 43 Powell Street (at Alexander) in the Gastown area of Vancouver, British Columbia. The building was commissioned by hotelier Angelo Calori and built in 1908 - 1909 by Parr and Fee Architects. Situated on a triangular lot, the building is designed in the flatiron style. It was the first reinforced concrete structure to be built in Canada and the earliest fireproof hotel in Western Canada. Contractors had to be brought in from Cincinnati, Ohio for the necessary expertise; the Ferro-Concrete Construction Company began this project six years after constructing the first tall concrete building in the world.
With funding from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the building was renovated in 1983 as affordable housing with A. Ingre and Associates as the project designers. The residential units are now managed by the Affordable Housing Society. A beer parlour formerly existed below the ground floor, which included areaways extending underneath the above sidewalks. To prevent a cave-in from the weight of pedestrians and above ground traffic, the City of Vancouver filled the areaway in with pea gravel at a cost of $215,000, which presumably can be easily removed in the event of future restoration.
The Hotel Europe was one of the filming location for the suspense movie The Changeling. In it, the building houses the Seattle Historical Society, but the hotel sign can be seen on the right side facade of the building in some takes. Some scenes are set on its spectacular roof terrace.
Folder contains 1 b&w photograph of the National design award 1964 winner from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Caption on verso: "A splendid plan which takes advantage of a fine site. Circulation within the house is very good and the outside areas are practically and attractively handled." The architects were Hartley Barnes & Arajs of Kelowna, B.C. The builder as M. Ulansky of Kelowna, B.C.
Century 21 Photographers Ltd.
- [October] 1964
Folder contains 7 b&w photographs of the Lloyd Residence, Vancouver, B.C. The tightly planned house of 1,120 square feet was designed for private outdoor living on a standard city lot. Large individual rooms were made possible by placing hall-ways with a small central passage core. A large wooden deck opens off the living room overlooking the main front garden and reflecting pool. Architecture firm responsible for the project was Erikson/Massey Architects of Vancouver, B.C. Each of the photographs contains a caption with information about the residence.
- [October] 1977
Recipient of the 1970-71 Design in Steel Award from the American Iron and Steel Institute.
This building was portrayed as the "Phoenix Foundation" in the TV series, MacGyver.
Fully renovated in 1990.
This building was built from the top down. The core was built first then steel was hung from cables at the top and floors were added all the way down. The first floor starts at the fourth level. Over the years the cables have stretched so that today a pencil might roll off your desk if you're not paying attention.
Converting to 180 condominiums by mid-2005.
Known as the Westcoast Transmission Building from 1969-2000 and Duke Energy Building from 2000-2004.
Address was changed from 1333 to 1383 West Georgia in 2005 following conversion to condos.
- Sept 1971
6 black and white photographs of the exterior of the residence of Herwig Pimiskern located in Whistler, British Columbia.
- [November] 1964
5 black and white images of the photographic studio of professional photographer Selwyn Pullan in West Vancouver, British Columbia.
- [ca. 1968]
Folder contains 2 b&w photographs of the Currie residence in Claremont, Ontario. Detail view of upper storey windows, clad in cedar shingling. Exterior view of backyard during winter, brick chimney and cedar shingling visible.
- [May] 1963
Interior views of a townhouse designed by Jerome Markson (owner & architect), showing living room with fireplace and wood panneled ceiling, and exterior views of brick patio in the rear of the house.
Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design 1971. Extract from jury report: "Subtle and beautifully proportioned forms and openings frame the views and the sense of exhilaration is heighened by cantilevered spaces and decks". Owners: Mr & Mrs David Catton.
This yellow paper photo album, "Mercury deluxe Album Snapshots", is printed in blue, and held by a blue plastic binder. The photographs show examples of early-20th century residential architecture, and are captioned "Santos (Brasil) 1950 new suburb" and "2nd house we lived in, in Cuba."
Mercury Photo Service Ltd.
- [ca. 1968]
Black and white photographs of the exterior of a home, taken at night and during the day. Stamp on back of photograph with architect's name, Jerome Markson. Markson was awarded a 25 Years Award in 1993 for his work on the Moses residence by the Ontario Association of Architects and Canadian House and Home magazine.
- December 1981
Exterior view of single-storey row houses, in winter. A sticker on the back of the photograph reads: "Honorable Mention/ Heritage Village/ Highway #7/ Unionville, Ontario/ Napev Construction Ltd.,/ Sievenpiper, Architects". Residential complex for senior citizens, part of the larger Unionville Home Society campus. See http://www.uhs.on.ca/
- [October] 1995
New concrete garage at base of Victorian home.
- [February] 1957
Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.
- [September] 1957
Exterior views of a multi-storey townhouse complex, showing yards and parking. The stacked residences have a bachelor apartment or garage under the two storey housing units above.
- [ca. 1967]
Exterior view of a house at 4 Old George Place in Toronto. The style is influenced by Japanese, West Coast Canadian and Native Canadian architecture, with sloping rooflines and durable materials that integrate with a natural setting. The structure is made of red brick, interspersed with cedar sections and glass panes.
- [May] 1988
Aerial views of the Gothic Revival castle located at 1 Austin Terrace in Toronto, and a small colour photograph of the base of the Baldwin steps, named for the original landowner and former premier of Ontario Robert Baldwin, a public pathway which connects two sections of Spadina Road and is often used by visitors to the historic castle.
- [April] 1973
Two story residence designed by Barton Myers for his own use in Toronto's Yorkville area. The house fills a narrow urban lot, approximately 25 x 188 feet. There is a central courtyard with greenhouse roof. An article on the house was published in the April 1972 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
- [ca. 1970]
Photograph of the front lawn and porch of a house on Broadview Avenue. A concrete footpath has been laid from the sidewalk to the front porch, designed to circle around the base of a tree in the way.
Photograph of the extension built onto the back of the Georgian heritage property. The addition won the Award for Residential Design in 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Text on the back of the photograph gives extracts of Jury report.
Photograph of the yard and patio of a 1940s residential building renovated in the 1970s. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: Winner of the Award for Residential Design. Extract from Jury report: "This is an alteration to a fairly standard house of the 1940's, enlarged and changed so that very little of the original remains. The result is a virilic and strong arrangement of forms and colours with well-flowing spaces beautifully realted to out-door patios and terraces."
- [October] 1981
Exterior views of a high-rise residential apartment building. One interior view of pool area. Some photographs are stamped with the photographer's name: Fiona Spalding Smith.
- [July] 1980-1984
Folder consists of a number of photographs of the False Creek townhouses and the surroudning urban landscape. Many of the photographs contain caption and information for articles on the back.
- [September] 1986
Photoprint of model buildings. 1 photograph is airview of the constructed buildings. Verso: The Canadian Architect Magazine 1985 Award of Exellence to James A. Murray, Norman Hotson, Alfred C. Roberts. B&W. photograph of the buildings and York Quay Park at lake Ontario.
- [September] 1971 - [October] 1984
Folder contains 4 black and white photographs of the interior of a private residence in West Vancouver, British Columbia. Folder also includes 1 colour photograph of an aerial view of the residence.
Photographic reproduction of an architectural elevation on postcard backing. The original stucco cottage built in 1853 was renovated twice by the original owner, Paul Kane. It was owned by the Kane family until 1903, then it was briefly used as a church hall by the Evangelical Church of the Deaf. The property was leased by the Church-Isabella Residents Co-operative Inc. in 1985 and incorporated into a larger residential development.
(Information taken from Toronto Historical Board plaque on property.)