- Sept 1971
6 black and white photographs of the exterior of the residence of Herwig Pimiskern located in Whistler, British Columbia.
6 black and white photographs of the exterior of the residence of Herwig Pimiskern located in Whistler, British Columbia.
Folder contains 4 black and white photographs of the interior of a private residence in West Vancouver, British Columbia. Folder also includes 1 colour photograph of an aerial view of the residence.
Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.
Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.
Aerial view of the apartment tower, showing Humber river and nearby Old Mill Inn. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the architect as Raymond Mandel, and the photographer as Jack Mitchell.
Canadian Housing Design Council Award Winner 1971
"A small house which is carefully screened from street traffic by the retention of trees. Multi-levels and open planning add interest. A good lesson in planning particularly in regard to space and light." Owners; Mr & Mrs R. Dodson.
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Kiyooka residence in Vancouver, B.C. A residence for artist Roy Kenzie Kiyooka and his wife Monica Kiyooka. Winner ward for residential design 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. The designer of the residence was Mrs. Monica Kiyooka.
Caption on verso: "A delightful house which takes full advantage of a forest-river orientation...an open, stepped, plan with soaring spaces."
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Extract from jury report: "... materials and form relate sympathetically to the tall trees retained on the site... a sensitive siting and solution for a house which makes the most of the natural amentities of forest and stream".
CHDC Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971
Verso: "An excellent mixed-use complex of housing, shops, restaurants, theatre and hotel space which relates well to its urban setting and serves as a catalyst for the improved development of the area." Developer of the project was Confederation Life Assurance Co. of Toronto, Ontario. Designers were Norman S. Jones, MRAIC of Vancouver and James A. Murray, FRAIC of Toronto, Ontario.
The folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Dogwood Gardens at 5850 177b Street is an 86 unit complex in the heart of Cloverdale. This complex boasts many great features for families including an outdoor pool, clubhouse, fish pond, putting green, playground, plenty of gardens and greenspace. Close to shopping, transit, restaurants, schools and parks.
Dogwood Gardens was the Canadian Housing Design Council winner of the award for Residential design in 1971. Caption on verso: "A fine example of medium density housing. The random placing of blocks around four activity areas offer unit variety and identity with special inner spaces. Although a number of different materials and forms are used this is done with great skill and there is a consistant and unified whole to the housing."
Hotel Europe is a six-story heritage building located at 43 Powell Street (at Alexander) in the Gastown area of Vancouver, British Columbia. The building was commissioned by hotelier Angelo Calori and built in 1908 - 1909 by Parr and Fee Architects. Situated on a triangular lot, the building is designed in the flatiron style. It was the first reinforced concrete structure to be built in Canada and the earliest fireproof hotel in Western Canada. Contractors had to be brought in from Cincinnati, Ohio for the necessary expertise; the Ferro-Concrete Construction Company began this project six years after constructing the first tall concrete building in the world.
With funding from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the building was renovated in 1983 as affordable housing with A. Ingre and Associates as the project designers. The residential units are now managed by the Affordable Housing Society. A beer parlour formerly existed below the ground floor, which included areaways extending underneath the above sidewalks. To prevent a cave-in from the weight of pedestrians and above ground traffic, the City of Vancouver filled the areaway in with pea gravel at a cost of $215,000, which presumably can be easily removed in the event of future restoration.
The Hotel Europe was one of the filming location for the suspense movie The Changeling. In it, the building houses the Seattle Historical Society, but the hotel sign can be seen on the right side facade of the building in some takes. Some scenes are set on its spectacular roof terrace.
Award of Excellence CA Magazine December 1985
The complex consists of a 356 room hotel with restaurant and a convention facilities, retail stores, offices,apartments, and recreational and social amenities.
This photograph was taken to illustrate an article in Canadian Architect magazine's December 1983 issue. Architects Vecsei and Panzini were given an Award of Excellence for their proposal to redevelop the mansion for commercial use while preserving the original structure.
Exterior views of a multi-storey townhouse complex, showing yards and parking. The stacked residences have a bachelor apartment or garage under the two storey housing units above.
Photographs of the exterior of a building under construction, and two interior views looking out through the steel support beams, designed with 3 cubes balanced on their points on a rectangular concrete base. The idea was licensed from Dutch architect Piet Blom by Toronto entrepreneur Ben Kutner. Designed from prefabricated steel and glass, the houses were supposed to take advantage of otherwise unusable property space in Toronto like laneways and rooftops. The house has since been abandoned and the cubes are used for commercial signage.
Exterior views of Victorian row houses originally built in the 1880s, altered in 1981. The house was first owned by Alfred Hoskin, a barrister, and is referred to in the Canadian Architect magazine issue for October 1985 as "Hoskin House".
Two story residence designed by Barton Myers for his own use in Toronto's Yorkville area. The house fills a narrow urban lot, approximately 25 x 188 feet. There is a central courtyard with greenhouse roof. An article on the house was published in the April 1972 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.
Leather edged cover, detached binding. Contains photographs and pressed flowers. Lengthy notations in black ink. More of a journal with photographs. Vast majority of pages are blank.
Themes of photographs include early trains and railways, portraits, scenic views.
Includes some loose photographs and pressed flowers; also includes printed photographic reproductions from journals adhered to pages;
Sites include: Catalina Isl, Mualon Bay.
Folder contains 2 b&w photographs of the Currie residence in Claremont, Ontario. Detail view of upper storey windows, clad in cedar shingling. Exterior view of backyard during winter, brick chimney and cedar shingling visible.
The house Cormier built for himself (1930-31) in the Golden Square Mile, an elegant Montréal neighbourhood. Cormier experimented with a variety of styles in the house: Art deco on the facade, monumental on one side and more modernist in the back. Cormier created most of the furniture, with remaining pieces acquired at the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris
Photographs of the neighbourhood of Île des Soeurs, including row houses and apartment high rises designed by various architects. Aerial views are also included in the file.
Photograph of the interior of the house. Owned by Andre Benjamin Papineau. Federal heritage building; art gallery. House was build for Montreal architect Andre Benjamin Papineau is located on a river edge. Materials of the house; fieldstone, red cider. Furniture designed be Papineau, except chairs.
Interior and exterior views of a house renovation. The tall Victorian home was clad in grey shingle and pale wood, and the interior space was opened up and rounded statement walls painted green complement exposed metal piping. Views of dining room, kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom.
Photograph of the rear garden area of an unknown residential building near Dundas and Sherbourne Streets in Toronto. A paved walkway separates the building from the rear entrances to neighbouring homes and apartments.
Exterior view of a mid-rise apartment building, in red brick, located at 25 Henry Terrace in Toronto. The building is constructed of four blocks, attached by elevated walkways, and houses residential apartments as well as a Catholic school.
Exterior views of a high-rise residential apartment building. One interior view of pool area. Some photographs are stamped with the photographer's name: Fiona Spalding Smith.
Canadian Housing Design Council Winner, Award for Residential Design 1971. " An outstanding example of how a simple design ('L" shape) can be set to achieve maximum privacy and capture the joys of site and sun".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owners: Mr. & MRS. B.C. Cobanli. Extract from jury report: " An exelent open-planned house... sky lights allow light to flood into rooms; cosy alcoves and depressed floors offset wide open speces".
Folder contains 4 b&w photographs of the Dalby residence in Vancouver, B.C. This water front home was built on a rock ledge to avoid disturbing the natrual gorwth and to necessitate little rock blasting. The architect was Fred Thornton Hollingsworth.
Folder contains 6 black and white photographic prints of the Danto Residence. The concept of the Danto house was a grand staircase-- a series of terraces following the slope of the site. Architect was Arthur Erikson.
Schiffer, Fred S.
This dense 100 unit public housing project will provide for single parent families and low income larger families. The idea is to integrate families with similar needs and life styles and to help to minimize stresses associated with public housing.
CA Magazine May 1972
Folder contains 3 b&w photographs of the Smith Residence in South Delta, B.C. The architect was John Kay who is known for his organic architecture. Photographs are from CA Magazine September 1970.
Folder contains 3 b&w photographs of the John Grinnell Residence of Vancouver, B.C. The residence was the 1964 Massey award.The architecture firm responsible for the project was Thompson, Berwick, Pratt & Partners, Architects, Engineers, Planners.
Folder contains 1 b&w photograph of the National design award 1964 winner from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Caption on verso: "A splendid plan which takes advantage of a fine site. Circulation within the house is very good and the outside areas are practically and attractively handled." The architects were Hartley Barnes & Arajs of Kelowna, B.C. The builder as M. Ulansky of Kelowna, B.C.
Century 21 Photographers Ltd.
Recipient of the 1970-71 Design in Steel Award from the American Iron and Steel Institute.
This building was portrayed as the "Phoenix Foundation" in the TV series, MacGyver.
Fully renovated in 1990.
This building was built from the top down. The core was built first then steel was hung from cables at the top and floors were added all the way down. The first floor starts at the fourth level. Over the years the cables have stretched so that today a pencil might roll off your desk if you're not paying attention.
Converting to 180 condominiums by mid-2005.
Known as the Westcoast Transmission Building from 1969-2000 and Duke Energy Building from 2000-2004.
Address was changed from 1333 to 1383 West Georgia in 2005 following conversion to condos.
Photograph of a design concept drawing for the McMurrich Street Condominiums, a joint venture by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Belmont Construction Company Limited. A piece of paper is taped to the back of the photograph.
Interior and exterior views of a single family dwelling, a Queen Anne Victorian townhouse with third storey addition and 1960s interior remodeling. Rounded, stuccoed walls and wood panneling can be found in the interior.
Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.
Exterior views of a high-rise apartment building with concrete balconies, and one photograph of the model. One photograph of the streetcorner (in colour) shows a 3-dimensional geometrical sign.
Aerial views of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, a group of townhouses clustered around interior loop roads buffered from adjacent traffic arteries by higher density apartments containing street level retail arcades and with a linear promenade park strip along its entire length. The images were reproduced in an article on the St. Lawrence neighbourhood in the June 1981 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Photoprint of model buildings. 1 photograph is airview of the constructed buildings. Verso: The Canadian Architect Magazine 1985 Award of Exellence to James A. Murray, Norman Hotson, Alfred C. Roberts. B&W. photograph of the buildings and York Quay Park at lake Ontario.
This yellow paper photo album, "Mercury deluxe Album Snapshots", is printed in blue, and held by a blue plastic binder. The photographs show examples of early-20th century residential architecture, and are captioned "Santos (Brasil) 1950 new suburb" and "2nd house we lived in, in Cuba."
Mercury Photo Service Ltd.
Red leather cover. Spine detaching from cover. Black pages.
Themes include portraits, houses and churches, farm life, early cameras, early cars, early trains, early bikes, steamboats, waterscapes.
Includes a photograph of the steamboat Argyle [formerly The Empress of India, built in 1876; rebuilt/renamed in 1899/1902 (conflict among sources); renamed Frontier in 1912]. See < maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca > search "Argyle steamboat".
File consists of 48 photographs of the interior and exterior of a Montreal home built of straw bales with a stucco surface. The home at 2203 Lartigue was designed by architect Julia Bourke, the homeowner, and built in 1998. Views include the kitchen, dining room, exterior, living room, details, and portraits of the architect.