- Built Environment (hierarchy name), 265 results
- Single Built Works (hierarchy name), 265 results
- single built works (built environment), 265 results
- residential structures, 188 results
- Dwellings, 183 results
- Houses, 84 results
- <single built works by specific type>, 83 results
- high-rise buildings, 65 results
- multistory buildings, 65 results
- <single built works by form: height>, 65 results
North and Central America
- Within the logic of TGN,
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
North and Central America
- UF North America
- UF Central America
North and Central America
265 Archival description results for North and Central America
Photograph of the yard and patio of a 1940s residential building renovated in the 1970s. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: Winner of the Award for Residential Design. Extract from Jury report: "This is an alteration to a fairly standard house of the 1940's, enlarged and changed so that very little of the original remains. The result is a virilic and strong arrangement of forms and colours with well-flowing spaces beautifully realted to out-door patios and terraces."
- [December] 1980
Photograph of a design concept drawing for the McMurrich Street Condominiums, a joint venture by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Belmont Construction Company Limited. A piece of paper is taped to the back of the photograph.
Exterior view of a luxury condominium development on Bay Street. A piece of paper taped to the back of the photograph gives the property developers as The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Revenue Properties Limited.
Photograph of the extension built onto the back of the Georgian heritage property. The addition won the Award for Residential Design in 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Text on the back of the photograph gives extracts of Jury report.
- [October] 1985
Exterior views of Victorian row houses originally built in the 1880s, altered in 1981. The house was first owned by Alfred Hoskin, a barrister, and is referred to in the Canadian Architect magazine issue for October 1985 as "Hoskin House".
- [Jan 1970]
Photograph of a series of semi-detached houses. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: National Design Award 1969. The photographer's stamp gives the studio as: N. & H. Studio.
N. & H. Studio
- [ca. 1970]
Photograph of the front lawn and porch of a house on Broadview Avenue. A concrete footpath has been laid from the sidewalk to the front porch, designed to circle around the base of a tree in the way.
- [November] 1987
Colour photographs, many adhered to a paper backing, of the exterior and interior of a private residence in Toronto, showing the renovations to the two storey brick home. Views include backyard deck, fireplace, doorhandles and stair rails.
- [November] 1984; [July] 1986
1 photograph of the exterior of the office building and another of the interior lobby area. The interior view has been cut and adhered to a clear plastic backing, and bears the photographer's stamp for Applied Photography Ltd.
Applied Photography Ltd.
- [November] 1986
Illustrations of the office building at 95 Wellington Street West, and one photograph of the site plan. Stamp on verso of photographs gives the architectural firm as Pellow Architect. The building is part of the Toronto-Dominion Centre complex in downtown Toronto.
- [ca. 1966]
Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.
- [January] 1969; [March] 1971
Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.
- [October] 1981
Exterior views of a high-rise residential apartment building. One interior view of pool area. Some photographs are stamped with the photographer's name: Fiona Spalding Smith.
- [December] 1980
This two-building townhouse complex was completed in 1976. The design received a Canadian Architect Award in 1980, and Canadian Housing Design Council Award in 1983.
Panda Associates Photography
- [ca. 1965]
This folder consists of photographs of the Bowen Island residence. Situated on two acres of a rocky island near Vancouver, the house consists of four connecting pavilions, design to give privacy to the owners while accommodating servants, guests and grandchildren. The design is Massey Medal winner of 1965. The review article was published in Canadian Architect in February 1965, p. 55. There are some B&W photos and a drawing plan of the residence.
Leather edged cover, detached binding. Contains photographs and pressed flowers. Lengthy notations in black ink. More of a journal with photographs. Vast majority of pages are blank.
Themes of photographs include early trains and railways, portraits, scenic views.
Includes some loose photographs and pressed flowers; also includes printed photographic reproductions from journals adhered to pages;
Sites include: Catalina Isl, Mualon Bay.
- [ca. June 1958]
Height approx. 263.0m, completed 1968. Building is located at 110 Yonge Street in Toronto. View of the main entrance. This building was designated a heritage property in 1990.
Panda Associates Photography and Art Services
- [May] 1988
Aerial views of the Gothic Revival castle located at 1 Austin Terrace in Toronto, and a small colour photograph of the base of the Baldwin steps, named for the original landowner and former premier of Ontario Robert Baldwin, a public pathway which connects two sections of Spadina Road and is often used by visitors to the historic castle.
- [ca. 1968]
Folder contains 2 b&w photographs of the Currie residence in Claremont, Ontario. Detail view of upper storey windows, clad in cedar shingling. Exterior view of backyard during winter, brick chimney and cedar shingling visible.
- [December] 1962
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.
- 1971- [May] 1972
The folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Dogwood Gardens at 5850 177b Street is an 86 unit complex in the heart of Cloverdale. This complex boasts many great features for families including an outdoor pool, clubhouse, fish pond, putting green, playground, plenty of gardens and greenspace. Close to shopping, transit, restaurants, schools and parks.
Dogwood Gardens was the Canadian Housing Design Council winner of the award for Residential design in 1971. Caption on verso: "A fine example of medium density housing. The random placing of blocks around four activity areas offer unit variety and identity with special inner spaces. Although a number of different materials and forms are used this is done with great skill and there is a consistant and unified whole to the housing."
- [May] 1973
Interior and exterior views of a high-rise office tower and lower-level shopping concourse, designed in glass and concrete. One view of courtyard outside the building. Shopping area shows a Mappins retail store and a telephone booth.
- [ca. 1971]
Canadian Housing Design Council Award Winner 1971
"A small house which is carefully screened from street traffic by the retention of trees. Multi-levels and open planning add interest. A good lesson in planning particularly in regard to space and light." Owners; Mr & Mrs R. Dodson.
- [June] 1981
Exterior view of a mid-rise apartment building, in red brick, located at 25 Henry Terrace in Toronto. The building is constructed of four blocks, attached by elevated walkways, and houses residential apartments as well as a Catholic school.
- [May] 1996
Photographs of the exterior of a building under construction, and two interior views looking out through the steel support beams, designed with 3 cubes balanced on their points on a rectangular concrete base. The idea was licensed from Dutch architect Piet Blom by Toronto entrepreneur Ben Kutner. Designed from prefabricated steel and glass, the houses were supposed to take advantage of otherwise unusable property space in Toronto like laneways and rooftops. The house has since been abandoned and the cubes are used for commercial signage.
- [September] 1957
Exterior views of a multi-storey townhouse complex, showing yards and parking. The stacked residences have a bachelor apartment or garage under the two storey housing units above.
- [February] 1957
Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.
Photograph of the rear garden area of an unknown residential building near Dundas and Sherbourne Streets in Toronto. A paved walkway separates the building from the rear entrances to neighbouring homes and apartments.
- [ca. 1964]
View of a bridge in the park. Photograph is stamped on the back: "This is the property of Raymond Moriyama, Architect." E. T. Seton Park is located in the Central Don area of the West Don River valley, south of Eglinton Avenue East. The parkland was acquired from the Flemingdon Development Corporation in the 1960's for the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo, which was eventually built in the Rouge Valley. Beginning July 1, 1965, the Province of Ontario leased the north-east corner of the park from the former Metropolitan Toronto for ninety-nine years to operate the Ontario Science Centre.
- [November] 1985
Illustration of a bridge, with various other sketches of bridges around the borders of the image and the text: "(Colour illustration from the cover of the forthcoming issue of Architectural Monographs: 5 Michael Graves.)" The original drawing is graphite and crayon on yellow paper, done in 1978, in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The bridge was designed as a replacement for a vehicular bridge spanning the Red River, connecting Minnesota and North Dakota.
- [May] 1961; [April] 1967
Photographs of the exterior of a planned community in Toronto, with both high rise and townhouse structures. Views of the highrise block under construction. One interior view of a living room and dining room inside one of the two-storey townhouses.
- [ca. 1967]
Exterior view of a house at 4 Old George Place in Toronto. The style is influenced by Japanese, West Coast Canadian and Native Canadian architecture, with sloping rooflines and durable materials that integrate with a natural setting. The structure is made of red brick, interspersed with cedar sections and glass panes.
- [July] 1958
Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.
matte gsp with white border. Aerial view of bridge, river, and two shorelines. Recto caption in white, bottom left of image: "(0130-876A-8)(10-10-31-9A)(12-1500) GEO. WASHINGTON BRIDGE N.J. N.Y."
- [January] 1957
Photographs of the exterior of the single storey elementary school building. 16 classrooms and offices are grouped around a central auditorium. View of entrance mural above main entrance painted by Adrian Vilandré. The building has a light steel structural frame with brick veneer and tongue-and-groove boards for exterior finishing. All windows are double-glazed, ceilings are perforated fibreboard, flooring is vinyl asbestos tile.
Studio Alain Enrg.
- [ca. 1968]
Black and white photographs of the exterior of a home, taken at night and during the day. Stamp on back of photograph with architect's name, Jerome Markson. Markson was awarded a 25 Years Award in 1993 for his work on the Moses residence by the Ontario Association of Architects and Canadian House and Home magazine.
- [September] 1986
Photographs of the architect's models. This building was given an Award of Merit by the Governor General's Awards for Architecture in 1990, and an Award of Excellence by the Ontario Association of Architects Awards in 1988.
Applied Photography Ltd.
- [September] 1986
Views of the Harbourfront boardwalk or promenade, stretching 2 1/2 miles along Toronto's waterfront. One of the photos has been edited using a white wash. Also views of condominium developments along the quay, and contact prints include images of York Quay Centre, Power Plant Gallery at Harbourfront Centre, and Spadina and Bathurst Quays.
matte gsp with white border. Depicts an aerial view of harvard stadium, surrounding city and river landscape. Recto caption, bottom edge of image: "(0135-885-0-8)(2-25-32-1P)(12-2000) HARVARD STADIUM, BOSTON, MASS."
- [September] 1986
One small colour photograph in which the sign "Hotel Admiral" is visible on the roof of the building. The two black and white prints show the hotel under construction. The building was purchased by Radisson and became the Radisson Admiral Hotel.
- [October] 1987
Interior and exterior views of a house renovation. The tall Victorian home was clad in grey shingle and pale wood, and the interior space was opened up and rounded statement walls painted green complement exposed metal piping. Views of dining room, kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom.
- [July] 1968
Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.
- [May] 1963
Interior views of a townhouse designed by Jerome Markson (owner & architect), showing living room with fireplace and wood panneled ceiling, and exterior views of brick patio in the rear of the house.
Folder contains 1 b&w photograph of the National design award 1964 winner from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Caption on verso: "A splendid plan which takes advantage of a fine site. Circulation within the house is very good and the outside areas are practically and attractively handled." The architects were Hartley Barnes & Arajs of Kelowna, B.C. The builder as M. Ulansky of Kelowna, B.C.
Century 21 Photographers Ltd.
- [September] 1985; [September] 1986
Architect's model and exterior view of finished high rise residential condominium located at 480 Queens Quay West in Toronto, designed with stepped levels and walls of glass windows.
- [April] 1966
Photograph of the interior of the house. Owned by Andre Benjamin Papineau. Federal heritage building; art gallery. House was build for Montreal architect Andre Benjamin Papineau is located on a river edge. Materials of the house; fieldstone, red cider. Furniture designed be Papineau, except chairs.
Matte print with white border. Depicts an aerial view of Washington including monuments, shoreline, and bridge. Recto caption, bottom of image area: "013-851A-8)(8-1-32-2P)(12-800) Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C."
- [February] 1987
Small photograph adhered to clear plastic showing exterior of a skyscraper, sometimes referred to as the "Inside-Out Building" because many of its pipes and conduits are exterior to the building. The building was the topic of a critique of office buildings with exposed structures in the February 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine titled "Exposing High Tech". The Llyod's building is sometimes
- [May] 1985
Exterior views of the mid-rise condominium complex in the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood, with central courtyard and street-level shopping arcade. One interior view of shopping concourse and one aerial view of area prior to development.
matte gsp with white border. Aerial view of university campus and surrounding buildings, river. Recto caption, bottom left: "(0132--885-20-8)(5-25-32-1P)(12-2000) Mass. Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass."