- [October] 1995
New concrete garage at base of Victorian home.
New concrete garage at base of Victorian home.
Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.
Photograph of the Sutton Place Hotel, taken from the corner of Bay and St. Joseph Streets, looking South on Bay Street. Two car dealerships are visible on opposite sides of the street, advertising car brands Imperial, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Valiant.
Jowett, Henry Roger
Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.
Exterior views of a multi-storey townhouse complex, showing yards and parking. The stacked residences have a bachelor apartment or garage under the two storey housing units above.
Exterior view of a house at 4 Old George Place in Toronto. The style is influenced by Japanese, West Coast Canadian and Native Canadian architecture, with sloping rooflines and durable materials that integrate with a natural setting. The structure is made of red brick, interspersed with cedar sections and glass panes.
Aerial views of the Gothic Revival castle located at 1 Austin Terrace in Toronto, and a small colour photograph of the base of the Baldwin steps, named for the original landowner and former premier of Ontario Robert Baldwin, a public pathway which connects two sections of Spadina Road and is often used by visitors to the historic castle.
Two story residence designed by Barton Myers for his own use in Toronto's Yorkville area. The house fills a narrow urban lot, approximately 25 x 188 feet. There is a central courtyard with greenhouse roof. An article on the house was published in the April 1972 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
This two-building townhouse complex was completed in 1976. The design received a Canadian Architect Award in 1980, and Canadian Housing Design Council Award in 1983.
Panda Associates Photography
Exterior view of a luxury condominium development on Bay Street. A piece of paper taped to the back of the photograph gives the property developers as The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Revenue Properties Limited.
Photograph of the front lawn and porch of a house on Broadview Avenue. A concrete footpath has been laid from the sidewalk to the front porch, designed to circle around the base of a tree in the way.
Photograph of the extension built onto the back of the Georgian heritage property. The addition won the Award for Residential Design in 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Text on the back of the photograph gives extracts of Jury report.
Photograph of the yard and patio of a 1940s residential building renovated in the 1970s. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: Winner of the Award for Residential Design. Extract from Jury report: "This is an alteration to a fairly standard house of the 1940's, enlarged and changed so that very little of the original remains. The result is a virilic and strong arrangement of forms and colours with well-flowing spaces beautifully realted to out-door patios and terraces."
Interior and exterior views of the building. This office building has a 'green roof', which reduces the amount of energy required to heat and cool the building. It also has an extensive shopping mall at the ground floor and an arboretum with a waterfall at the Queen Street entrance. The double-decker elevator cabs are found inside the atrium, which stretches the entire height of the building.
Source: City of Ottawa website at www.ottawa.ca
Applied Photography Ltd.
Maquette of two office towers with landscaping, shot in colour and black and white. A sticker on the verso of one of the photographs lists the two towers and The North American Life Centre and The Xerox Tower, to be located at the North-West corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.
Exterior views of a high-rise residential apartment building. One interior view of pool area. Some photographs are stamped with the photographer's name: Fiona Spalding Smith.
Folder consists of a number of photographs of the False Creek townhouses and the surroudning urban landscape. Many of the photographs contain caption and information for articles on the back.
Photoprint of model buildings. 1 photograph is airview of the constructed buildings. Verso: The Canadian Architect Magazine 1985 Award of Exellence to James A. Murray, Norman Hotson, Alfred C. Roberts. B&W. photograph of the buildings and York Quay Park at lake Ontario.
Folder contains 4 black and white photographs of the interior of a private residence in West Vancouver, British Columbia. Folder also includes 1 colour photograph of an aerial view of the residence.
Exterior views of terminal building after conversion to multi-purpose building, from the water and interior views of south atrium with shopping concourse. One architectural drawing with caption: Architectural rendering of Terminal Warehouse façade when Queen's Quay Terminal at York is completed. One reprint of a newspaper photo of the terminal building when still in use as railroad terminal and offices of CN Rail.
Photographic reproduction of an architectural elevation on postcard backing. The original stucco cottage built in 1853 was renovated twice by the original owner, Paul Kane. It was owned by the Kane family until 1903, then it was briefly used as a church hall by the Evangelical Church of the Deaf. The property was leased by the Church-Isabella Residents Co-operative Inc. in 1985 and incorporated into a larger residential development.
(Information taken from Toronto Historical Board plaque on property.)
Interior and exterior views of a high-rise office tower and lower-level shopping concourse, designed in glass and concrete. One view of courtyard outside the building. Shopping area shows a Mappins retail store and a telephone booth.
View of a bridge in the park. Photograph is stamped on the back: "This is the property of Raymond Moriyama, Architect." E. T. Seton Park is located in the Central Don area of the West Don River valley, south of Eglinton Avenue East. The parkland was acquired from the Flemingdon Development Corporation in the 1960's for the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo, which was eventually built in the Rouge Valley. Beginning July 1, 1965, the Province of Ontario leased the north-east corner of the park from the former Metropolitan Toronto for ninety-nine years to operate the Ontario Science Centre.
Views of the Harbourfront boardwalk or promenade, stretching 2 1/2 miles along Toronto's waterfront. One of the photos has been edited using a white wash. Also views of condominium developments along the quay, and contact prints include images of York Quay Centre, Power Plant Gallery at Harbourfront Centre, and Spadina and Bathurst Quays.
Architect's model for the Scotiabank office tower at the corner of King and Yonge Streets in downtown Toronto. The design incorporates the historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 story high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.
Architect's model for a hotel tower on the South side of Queen Street, situated across from Nathan Phillips Square and Toronto City Hall. Published in an article in Canadian Architect magazine indicating this was the winning design. The location is now home to the Four Seasons Sheraton Hotel.
Exterior views of Victorian row houses originally built in the 1880s, altered in 1981. The house was first owned by Alfred Hoskin, a barrister, and is referred to in the Canadian Architect magazine issue for October 1985 as "Hoskin House".
Colour photographs, many adhered to a paper backing, of the exterior and interior of a private residence in Toronto, showing the renovations to the two storey brick home. Views include backyard deck, fireplace, doorhandles and stair rails.
One small colour photograph in which the sign "Hotel Admiral" is visible on the roof of the building. The two black and white prints show the hotel under construction. The building was purchased by Radisson and became the Radisson Admiral Hotel.
Photographs of the exterior of the single storey elementary school building. 16 classrooms and offices are grouped around a central auditorium. View of entrance mural above main entrance painted by Adrian Vilandré. The building has a light steel structural frame with brick veneer and tongue-and-groove boards for exterior finishing. All windows are double-glazed, ceilings are perforated fibreboard, flooring is vinyl asbestos tile.
Studio Alain Enrg.
The house Cormier built for himself (1930-31) in the Golden Square Mile, an elegant Montréal neighbourhood. Cormier experimented with a variety of styles in the house: Art deco on the facade, monumental on one side and more modernist in the back. Cormier created most of the furniture, with remaining pieces acquired at the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris
Photographs of the exterior of the building, as well as interiors of L'Escapade and Caf' Conc' (dining areas). The 38 floor hotel is known today as the Marriott Chateau Champlain Hotel.
The interior of the hotel was designed by David T Williams (New York) and Earle A Morrison (Vancouver).
This photograph was taken to illustrate an article in Canadian Architect magazine's December 1983 issue. Architects Vecsei and Panzini were given an Award of Excellence for their proposal to redevelop the mansion for commercial use while preserving the original structure.
Height approx. 263.0m, completed 1968. Building is located at 110 Yonge Street in Toronto. View of the main entrance. This building was designated a heritage property in 1990.
Panda Associates Photography and Art Services
Photographs of the architect's models. This building was given an Award of Merit by the Governor General's Awards for Architecture in 1990, and an Award of Excellence by the Ontario Association of Architects Awards in 1988.
Applied Photography Ltd.
In the Canadian Architect article in which this image was published, the building design is discussed as an example of a sensitive revival of past architecture with a modernist aesthetic.
Associated Commercial Photographers Ltd.
Exterior view of a high rise residential building. A piece of paper adhered to verso gives details of the Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design that this building received in 1971. Extract from Jury report: "The jury admired the planning approach which resulted in the living groups formed by the plan of this building. It is a good, competant structure which is clean in appearance, positive and strong. Its relationship to the street is very good." Designer: Elmar Tampold, J. Malcolm Wells Architects. The building is located at the corner of Bloor Street and Madison Avenue in Toronto and is a co-ed housing complex for post-secondary students, founded by the Estonian community in Toronto.
Photograph of the exterior of a high rise apartment building that has been retrofitted by Westeel. The new exterior cladding is advertised as thermally efficient and durably constructed, and was featured in a Spec Sheet for Preformed Metal Siding in Canadian Architect magazine for July 1985.
Photograph of a design concept drawing for the McMurrich Street Condominiums, a joint venture by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Belmont Construction Company Limited. A piece of paper is taped to the back of the photograph.
Exterior perspective view of apartment building, night scene. Built shortly after the Second World War, Regent Park was a leading-edge design, providing affordable housing to 7,500 people.
Architect's model and exterior view of finished high rise residential condominium located at 480 Queens Quay West in Toronto, designed with stepped levels and walls of glass windows.
Photographs of the exterior of a planned community in Toronto, with both high rise and townhouse structures. Views of the highrise block under construction. One interior view of a living room and dining room inside one of the two-storey townhouses.
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.