Completed in 1918, by the Canadian Government this observatory was proposed and designed by John S. Plaskett in 1910 with the support of the International Union for Cooperation in Solar Research, when the 72-inch aperture telescope was constructed, it was planned to be the largest telescope in the world but delays meant it saw first light after the Hooker 100-inch telescope.
The Centre of the Universe is the public interpretive centre for the observatory. The centre features interactive exhibits about astronomy, the work of the observatory and its parent organization, the NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics. There are also tours of the telescope and programs in the planetarium and video theatre.
The folder consists of one b&w photograph of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. On verso: "new housing for 16in. telescope operated by Dominion Astrophysical Observatory on top of Little Saanich Mountain near Victoria, B.C. is constructed of fir plywood structural assemblies. Architect was James Langford, Chief Architect with Department of Public Works, while Roger Kemble of Kemble-Webber Architects, Vancouver, was the consultant. Johnson Construction Ltd., of Victoria, were the general contractors.