- Photographic equipment, 547 results
- image making equipment, 547 results
- Kodak Canada Ltd., 409 results
- Kodak camera, 312 results
- Photography--Studios and dark rooms, 267 results
- Built Environment (hierarchy name), 266 results
- Single Built Works (hierarchy name), 265 results
- single built works (built environment), 265 results
- Cameras (photographic equipment), 264 results
- Photography (process), 235 results
North and Central America
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
North and Central America
North and Central America
4955 Archivistische beschrijving results for North and Central America
4 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- [ca. 1908]
Hotel Europe is a six-story heritage building located at 43 Powell Street (at Alexander) in the Gastown area of Vancouver, British Columbia. The building was commissioned by hotelier Angelo Calori and built in 1908 - 1909 by Parr and Fee Architects. Situated on a triangular lot, the building is designed in the flatiron style. It was the first reinforced concrete structure to be built in Canada and the earliest fireproof hotel in Western Canada. Contractors had to be brought in from Cincinnati, Ohio for the necessary expertise; the Ferro-Concrete Construction Company began this project six years after constructing the first tall concrete building in the world.
With funding from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the building was renovated in 1983 as affordable housing with A. Ingre and Associates as the project designers. The residential units are now managed by the Affordable Housing Society. A beer parlour formerly existed below the ground floor, which included areaways extending underneath the above sidewalks. To prevent a cave-in from the weight of pedestrians and above ground traffic, the City of Vancouver filled the areaway in with pea gravel at a cost of $215,000, which presumably can be easily removed in the event of future restoration.
The Hotel Europe was one of the filming location for the suspense movie The Changeling. In it, the building houses the Seattle Historical Society, but the hotel sign can be seen on the right side facade of the building in some takes. Some scenes are set on its spectacular roof terrace.
- [June] 1985
The Burnaby Jamatkhana is located on a 1.4 ha site in a residential suburb of Vancouver. The building concept was generated by Islamic architectural principles. Thus, building is totaly symmetrical, with a plan composed of two squares.
- [ca. 1970]
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Ladner Pioneer Library in Ladner, B.C. Established in 1930, the Fraser Valley Regional Library System was the first of its kind in North America. Today it is the largest public library system in British Columbia, with 24 community libraries serving 650,000 people in its service area. The article was published in Canadian Architect yearbook, 1964, p. 48-49. Architects on the project were Richard B. Archambault, J. Blair Macdonald and Barry V. Downs.
- [December] 1985
Award of Excellence CA Magazine December 1985
The complex consists of a 356 room hotel with restaurant and a convention facilities, retail stores, offices,apartments, and recreational and social amenities.
- [November] 1979-[October] 1992
Folder contains photographic prints of the University of British Colombia Museum of Anthropology. Photographs range in date from November 1979 up to October 1992. Many of the photographs have captions on the back with information about the architecture of the building.
- 1970, 1972
Interior and exterior views of a large hospital and laboratory for instruction in health sciences at McMaster University, including construction views showing the exposed girders and views of the finished building.
- [ca. 1980]
Exterior views of the high-rise concrete library building, two interior views showing concrete coffered ceilings and one view of the book stacks.
Clark, Clive H.
- [April] 1983; [April] 1984
Exterior and aerial views of the mid-rise office complex, with long atrium and pedestrian bridges connecting the buildings and parking lot. The building is clad in steel. Featured in an article on the atrium in Canadian Architect magazine April 1983, and in July 1984.
Panda Associates Photography
- Oct. 1984
Interior and exterior views of the loading docks, offices, parking lot and entraceway including design features such as red columns and windows which resemble Japanese screens. A sticker on the back of one of the photographs gives the building name, architect, engineer and contractors.
- Nov. 1985
Photograph showing a model of the building and area. The Centre is the home office of the Peel District School Board and is located at 5650 Hurontario St. The building won the Design Excellence Award from the Ontario Association of Architects in 1984. (http://www.peel.edu.on.ca/facts/facts/edcentre.htm) A sticker on the back of the photograph gives the name and address of the architects, and the name of the building project as follows: "Shore Tilbe Henschel Irwin Peters Architects, Engineers. 4 New Street, Toronto, Ont. M5R 1P6. H.J.A. Brown Education Centre, Mississauga, Ontario."
- January 30, 1958; [February] 1958
Exterior views of the office building, showing the glass and porcelain curtain wall of the front entrance and the glass sign next to the entrance. The wall has a double skin: the windows are double-plate sealed units with metal-faced panels providing air space.
- Oct. 1988
Images of the model for the former Ontario Association of Architects headquarters at 50 Park Road Toronto, Ontario. The modernist building was designed by John C. Parkin, and served as the home of the OAA from the building's completion in 1954 until 1992. The building is now occupied by DTAH, a landscape design company.
- [August] 1967
Photographs of an A-frame precase concrete cooling tower. Submitted for an award from the Prestressed Concrete Institute. The first photograph has a caption adhered to the back with information about the award of excellence from the Prestressed Concrete Institute.
- [October] 1992
The Éperon building was constructed to complement the existing historic architecture of the area, and was built to match the proportions of the Royal Insurance Company building that was previously on the site. The building matches the roof lines of the other structures on the Rue de la Commune, and the tower building (pictured) is an easily identifiable element in the museum complex.
- [November] 1965
- [March] 1958
Exterior view of church entrance, with huge ceramic mural executed by Claude Vermette, and interior view of a decorative panel "Blessed Virgin Mary" designed by J. C. Charuet. Additional interior view of round altar in the centre of the church.
Exterior views of the hotel buildings in winter and summer.
- [ca. 1963]
Photographs of the interior and exterior of the church, designed in brick with irregular lines.
Payne, Chris F.
- [September] 1958
In the Canadian Architect article in which this image was published, the building design is discussed as an example of a sensitive revival of past architecture with a modernist aesthetic.
Associated Commercial Photographers Ltd.
- [ca. 1980]
Photographs of exterior of School of Architecture, with detail views of the decorative column supporting the walkway below the main entrance, and the bridge leading to the entrance.
- [ca. 1966]
Photographs at street level of the building, partial views.
- [ca. 1966]
Photographs of the exterior of the pavilion. One of the photographs has text printed at the lower margin reading " 'Man and Flight' is the theme of Air Canada's striking red and white pavilion at Expo. Plywood-clad cantilevered blades fan out from a central support column to form a dramatic roof." The verso of that photograph is stamped "Plywood Manufacturers of B.C. Photograph".
Plywood Manufacturers of B.C.
- [December] 1983
This photograph was taken to illustrate an article in Canadian Architect magazine's December 1983 issue. Architects Vecsei and Panzini were given an Award of Excellence for their proposal to redevelop the mansion for commercial use while preserving the original structure.
- 4 October 1957
Photographs of the interior and exterior of an office building and attached factory located in Scarborough, primarily the office portion with a curtain wall and exposed exterior columns.