North and Central America

Taxonomy

Code

1000001 Map of North and Central America

Scope note(s)

  • Within the logic of TGN,

Source note(s)

  • Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Equivalent terms

North and Central America

  • UF North America
  • UF Central America

Associated terms

North and Central America

4955 Archival description results for North and Central America

4 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Canada's 125th Anniversary at Building #5 and Kodak PhotoCD

File contains two identical photographs featuring an image of a group of employees standing with a Canada flag outside in the parking lot of Building #5. A flag in the foreground indicates the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation of Canada. The third photograph features an image of the Kodak PhotoCD compact disc with PhotoCD Player and remote, likely taken for advertising purposes.

Kodak Canada Inc.

Emulsion kettle

Item is a 48 gallon copper kettle with a silver-plated liner. It was installed in building #3 of the Kodak Heights plant in 1915 for making photographic emulsion for black and white paper and was used until 1974. The kettle was used to make the first photographic emulsion produced in Canada and was referred to as the "making kettle".

Kodak Canada Inc.

No. 1 Autographic Kodak Junior

Item is a folding camera with black bellows and brown leatherette covering and strap; for 2.25" x 3.25" exposures on No.A - 120 film. The camera was made by the Canadian Kodak Co. but the ball bearing lens was patented by the Eastman Kodak Co. in 1910 and 1913.

Kodachrome Type A for Ciné-Kodak

Packages of Cine-Kodak Kodachrome Type A 16mm motion picture film for artificial light. The larger box is unopened, and contains a magazine for loading the film into the camera, as well as 50 ft of film. It is stamped with a use-by date Dec 1946. The smaller box has been opened. It contains 100 ft of film in a small black cannister as well as a folded sheet with instructions. This box is stamped "Simpsons Cameras Toronto" in blue on the back, and with a use-by date of Apr 1943. Both films were manufactured in Rochester, NY but have stickers indicating they are to be returned to Canadian Kodak Co. Limited in Toronto for processing.

Eastman Kodak Company

Kodak auto-release

Item is an auto-release shutter mechanism for still cameras, which allowed one to take self pictures. By hooking the shoulder of the cable shutter release from the camera into the extended spring clip, an additional 10 second period was available to take the picture after pushing up the release lever. Instructions are attached.

Eastman Kodak Company

Kodak Complete Outfit of Transparent Oil Colors package

Item consists of a Kodak Complete Outfit of Transparent Oil Colours kit, including oil paints, Instructions for Using Kodak Transparent Oil Colors, and How to Use The Complete Outfit of Kodak Transparent Oil Colors, with a glass palette and application tools in a wooden case. They could be used for coloring contact prints and enlargements.

Image Arts

Kodak FunSaver

Item consists of a Kodak FunSaver Pocket Camera. It is a 35mm one-time use camera, sealed in original packaging. It is a commemorative Olympic edition.

Canadian Kodak Co., Limited

Kodak Max Waterproof

Item consists of Kodak Max Waterproof one-time-use, 35mm, 27 exposure camera with Kodak Max film, for outdoor use. New in box. Develop before July 2000.

Canadian Kodak Co., Limited

Kodaslide Projector Model 1A

Item consists of a Kodaslide Projector Model 1A. The item is an improved model of the Kodaslide Projector (produced 1937-1940), the first Kodak slide projector to project 50 x 50 mm glass-mounted transparency slides. Along with improvements made by the Kodaslide Projector Model 1 (produced 1939 to 1947), the first model to accept Kodachrome transparencies in Kodaslide Ready-Mount, the Kodaslide Projector Model 1A provided a sharper, brighter projection and featured a 150-watt lamp, a 4-inch Kodak Projection Ektanon f3.5 Luminized Lens, and single-element heat-absorbing glass as an added measure to help protect the transparency slides during projection.

Image Arts

Kodascope Eight Model 70

Item consists of a Kodascope Eight Model 70 8mm motion picture film projector. On the reverse, the projector has a dial for slower to faster projection, and a switch with options Off, Motor and Lamp. It has a grey metal body, and is for use with slow burning film only. On the front of the projector is a threading knob. It has a 1 inch f/1.6 lens.

Image Arts

2 Darkroom lights

Item consists of two darkroom lights. Each has a wooden base holding a metal cylinder that surrounds a darkroom bulb. The power cord is thread through the wooden base to connect to the bulb. Only one still has a bulb. The inside of both metal cylinders has been painted white.

Image Arts

Kodak Zoom 8 Reflex Model I

Item consists of a Kodak Zoom 8 Reflex Camera Automatic. It is a motion picture camera that shot 25 ft reels of silent Regular 8mm film at 16 frames per second. It used a clockwork motor that required winding about every 40 seconds. It allowed for about 2 minutes of filming before the reel would need to be flipped so that the other side of the film could be exposed. When released in 1960, the Zoom 8 Reflex retailed for $190.

Cine-Kodak Eight Model 20

Item consists of a Cine-Kodak Eight Model 20 motion picture camera. It was the first camera produced to use 8mm film. It is a simple, spool loading camera, powered by clockwork with a spring motor. It has a Kodak Anastigmat 13mm, f3.5 fixed focus lens, a newton finder in the handle, and runs at 16fps. The body is metal covered with black leather.

Kodak Instamatic M9

Item consists of a Kodak Instamatic M9 movie camera. It is an 8mm camera with an attached folding pistol grip. The body is brown and made of metal and plastic. It has a f/1.8 9.5-45mm Kodak Zoom Lens.

Kodak Cine Automatic Turret Camera f/1.9

Item consists of a Kodak Cine Automatic Turret Camera f/1.9. It is a motion picture camera that uses double 8mm film and has a lens turret featuring a Kodak Normal Ektanar 13mm f/1.9 lens, a Kodak Wide Angle Ektanar 6.5mm f/1.9 lens, and a Kodak Telephoto Ektanar 24mm f/1.9 lens.

Kodak Instamatic M4

Item consists of a Kodak Instamatic M4. It is a super 8 film cartridge camera that was released at the same time as the Instamatic M2, and M6, as well as the projectors Instamatic M50, M70, M80, M90 and M100 when Kodak first launched the Super 8 mm film format. Super 8mm film was the same as standard 8mm film, but was loaded into a plastic cartridge that could contain 50 feet of film. The image area of Super 8 film was 50% larger than standard 8mm because of a new design of picture vs. sprocket hole, and the cartridge format allowed for movie cameras to become easy enough for anyone to use.

Cine-Kodak Model B

Item is a Cine-Kodak Model B, the follow-up model of the Cine-Kodak which was the first 16mm camera. It has a cast aluminum body, hand crank and spring motor. The use of a tripod was required to allow varying speeds and single frames to be taken.

Eastman Kodak Company

Kodak XL 55

Introduced by Kodak in 1971, XL (eXisting Light) was incorporated with Super 8 to use their new High Speed Ektachrome Super 8 colour film and was designed to be able to film in as low light conditions as possible. The lens aperture is F1.2 compared to the super 8 normal of F1.8 and the film intermittent mechanism film pulldown speed was increased to allow a shutter open angle of 230 degrees compared to a typical 160 degrees previously. No light was diverted away from the film for a reflex viewfinder or TTL metering. The Kodak XL cameras had a unique "binocular" shape allowing easy two handed shooting.

Eastman Kodak Company

Revolving stereoscope viewer (A. Mattey)

Item is a wooden tabletop stereoscope with binocular viewer made with 50 built in glass stereographs of landscapes from Quebec and Montreal, factories and vernacular photography. Top of the stereoscope can open for additional light. Inside the object is a revolving metal belt (patented by Alexander Beckers) holding the stereographs that can be turned by the circular handles on the outside of the viewer.

Written on object: 76/Unis-France Stereoscopes Mattey-Paris/3.

Stereographs, Klondike

File consists of stereographs depicting scenes from the Klondike, such as landscapes and mining camps.

2 stereoscopic photographs by Keystone View Co.
3 stereoscopic photographs by Underwood & Underwood
1 stereoscopic photograph by Universal View Co
9 stereoscopic photographs by Kilburn Brothers, in association with James M. Davis
1 stereoscopic photograph by Griffith & Griffith
1 stereoscopic photograph by T. W. Ingersoll
1 stereoscopic photograph by A. C. Co.
7 stereoscopic photographs by unidentified publishers

Stereographs, South America (Chile, Venezuela, Brazil & Argentina)

File consists of stereographs and stereographic sets depicting scenes, famous location,s and structures from South America, such as theaters, docks, and cities.

8 stereoscopic photographs by Keystone View Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by Underwood & Underwood
1 stereoscopic photograph by H. C. White Co.
1 stereoscopic photograph by an unidentified publisher
1 set of 15 stereoscopic photographs by Whiting View Co.

pan american expo

print mounted on balck mat board. Depcits a view of a roadway lined with columns and statuary with pedestrians walking between. This is a view of the lincoln parkway entrance to the pan american exposition grounds, built for the exposition of 1901 in Buffalo NY. Verso inscription "Pan American Exposition 1903, The Pan American Exposition 1903, compliments of MR. Luther Cand."

Cottage album

Black textured soft cover. Black pages with photographs hand cut and mounted with glue. Many of the last pages are blank.
Photographs are amateur family snapshots taken at various locations including houses and a log cabin. There are landscapes and pictures of the family and children participating in various activities, including fishing, canoeing, horseback riding, and other cottage types of activities. There are also images taken in a photobooth, and photos of the family dog.

Shields, Lorne

Graham's Scientific Breeding School

Item consists of a photograph mounted on light grey card with dark grey borders. Image shows a group of ment standingon the steps to a light brick building. Each man has a number written on his chest (handwritten on negative) and the words "PHOTO BY/ BERT'S/ JAN 8-17." appears also handwritten to the right of the group. At the top edge of the photo, probably also added to the negative, "GRAHAM'S SCIENTIFIC BREEDING SCHOOL K.C.MO." Handwritten in pencil on verso, "$10.00".

Bert's

Potrait of man and two women

Item is a beige coloured card with photograph of a young man and two women, the women wear puff-ball sleeves and the youngest wears a belt around her waist in the popular fashion for the time. At the bottom right, in gold letterpress, "G.F. Castleden/ Old Photo. Stand/ MOOSOMIN, N.W.T." On the verso, in pencil, initials have been added over the approximate place of the sitters. The girl on the left has the initials, "E.A.C", the man, "S.J.C." and the woman on the right, "M.E.C."

Portrait of a man and two women

Item consists of a grey card with oval photograph of a man with dark suit and hat seated at centre, with two women standing behind him, each holding a pair of gloves. The woman on the left wears a checkered blouse with plain dark skirt, and the blouse is puffed out in the "S" curve fashion. The woman on the right wears a dark coloured dress with matching belt and a velvet(?) collar. At bottom right, embossed, "Jas. Mason/ PENETANG &/ ELMVALE".

Mason, James H.

Portrait of Rosa, Ashton and Cecil

Item is a pink cabinet card with photograph of three children in studio with fur covered chair and fur rug on the floor. The boy on the right wears a corduroy suit and leans against a table with his hand on an album. The girl in the centre has her arms crossed. The boy on the left is seated on the fur with portraits placed next to him and at his feet. At the bottom of the card, in black letterpress, "W. W. Bennett, - Photographer./ THESSALON, ALGOMA." On verso, handwritten in ink, "Rosa Ashton & Cecil".

W.W. Bennett, - Photographer

Portrait of two children

Item is a beige card with photograph of two children, a girl seated on a wicker chair and a boy standing next to her. The edge of a painted scene is visible on the right, with column and vines. On verso, a sticker affixed upside down reads "FENNER & CO.,/ Photographers,/ No. 146 Yonge Street,/ TORONTO."

Fenner & Co.

[Portrait of women and baby in a family group]

Item is a brown bi-fold card with an embossed design with shield and helmet on the front left flap, beneath which is the photographer's name in letterpress: "A.E. Lyon/ Photo./ Charlottetown, P.E.I." Inside, a photograph is adhered to the card showing three women in a studio, one holding a baby. All 4 are identified by a handwritten note on the inside of the right flap.

Lyon, A.E.

Portrait of L. Carey

Item is a cabinet card photograph of a young woman with blue collar overpainted, affixed to yellow cardstock. On verso, in black letterpress, centred: "L. ROBIRA,/ Late with Theo. LILIENTHAL./ Photographer,/ 245 ROYAL STREET,/ NEW ORLEANS./ Duplicates may be had at any time." In purple pen, handwritten above: "L. Carey/ April 25, 1886". And at top left corner, handwritten in pencil, "400".

L. Robira, Photographer

Dr.'s at Mcgill

Item is a portrait of man with long grey beard. Text below photograph reads, 'Wm. Notman & Son - Montreal'. Inscription in blue ink on back of card reads, 'Drs at McGill'. Text on back of card reads 'W. Notman Montreal 1876 also at Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, & St. John, N.B.'

William Notman & Son

Dr.'s at McGill

Item is a portrait of man. Text below photograph reads, 'Wm. Notman & Son-Montreal.' Inscription in blue ink on back of card reads, 'Dr.'s at McGill'. Text on back of card reads, 'W. Notman Montreal 1876 Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, & St John, N.B.'

William Notman & Son

[Portrait of a Young Woman]

Item consists of a sepiatoned black and white portrait of a young woman. The portrait is circular with a soft edge. The woman has her hair tied up around her head and is looking off to the left. She is wearing a black dress with a white lace collar and a long necklace that falls out of the frame. The photograph is housed a card. The card is yellowed with an embossed emblem on the top left on the front. Also on the front, on the bottom right, is the name of the photographer "A.R. Ward 289 Yonge St. Toronto". 289 Yonge Street is located right at Yonge and Dundas in Toronto. There is a translucent paper inside the card to further protect the photograph.

Ward, A. R.

[Portrait of a Boy]

Item consists of a black and white photograph of a young boy. The young boy is wearing a formal suit and tie, and is looking off to the right. The photograph was shot in H.E. Peagam's studio in Toronto, Ontario. H.E. Peagam was photographer that had a studio at 32 Temperance Street in Toronto in 1893, and one at 254 Yonge Street in Toronto 1901 - 1922. The portrait of the boy is cut into an oval (measuring approx. 5 x 7 cm) and has a small even white border. The oval photograph is pasted onto a black piece of card measuring 9.25 x 13.25 cm. On the bottom right of the card is embossed with "H.E. Peagam, Toronto, ONT"

H.E. Peagam

Vancouver, 131 Water Street / Gaslight Square

Project 200 was an initiative to restore Vancouver's most rundown areas. This project complete by 1975, is a 3 building complex that maintains the continuity of the street's facades. Shops are located on the ground level with offices above. The 6 oriel windows are a unique addition to the brick facade.

Canadian Architect

Vancouver, 4001 Mt. Seymour Pkwy

Winner of 1974 CHDC. Jury comments: "Sensitivity to form, exellent siting with good circulation combine to create both unit and community scale very appropriate to the setting. Neighbourhoods are visually identified by use of colour changes. Although these houses are attached, there isa walkway from front to back for each unit plus a separate basement entry.

Roaf, John

Vancouver, 7235 Arbutus Place

Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owner: Mr. & Mrs. HP Brasso. Extract from jury report: "A large house on a magnificent site... the planning, materials and form are well used to support the grand nature of the interior spaces and vistas to the sea".

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Bank of Canada

The building is 58.9 m.high with 15 stories. The exterior of the building is clad with precast finished with concrete panels and
columns. Bronze was used for all building metals. The Greek cross floor design allows for six corner offices per floor.

Fulker, John

Vancouver, 550 W Hastings st.

This large scale model built by Stephan Dye of Grafotto Studios Inc, is the proposal for the 550 W Hastings renewal of the original Toronto Dominion temple bank. The project includes a 400 room hotel and shopping complex. Alternative name is bank charrette. A proposal drawing of the interior and exterior view of 550 W Hastings st., Vancouver BC. This heritage building is originally the Toronto Dominion bank. It was originally to be demolished however the Heritage Committee of Vancouver sought to rescue the facade of this bank and incorporate it into a project that would include a shopping complex and a 400 room hotel.

Spectva Colour

Vancouver, Bayles house

Credit photograph to Fred S. Schiffer, Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society.
The architect was inspired by the Japanese style SUKIYA, which means to bring harmony to a composition of disparate materials found in the rough.

Schiffer, Fred S.

Victoria, BC Legislature

1893 Legislative Buildings, Victoria, B.C
British High Victorian Gothic, mid-nineteenth century Italianate and American Richardsonian Romanesque styles.
Three photographs depicts the House of commons before renovation.

Fulker, John & Barnard

Bowen Island, residence

This folder consists of photographs of the Bowen Island residence. Situated on two acres of a rocky island near Vancouver, the house consists of four connecting pavilions, design to give privacy to the owners while accommodating servants, guests and grandchildren. The design is Massey Medal winner of 1965. The review article was published in Canadian Architect in February 1965, p. 55. There are some B&W photos and a drawing plan of the residence.

Pullan, Selwyn

Whistler, Chateau Whistler Resort

Folder contains three photographic prints of the Chateau Whistler Resort. CAPTION verso:
An artist's impression of what the Chateau Whistler Resort will look like when it opens in late 1989 at Whistler, BC. Canadian Pacific Hotels Corporation is investing $50 million in construction of the 400 room luxury resort facility. It features a year round resort hotel. Chateau Whistler Resort's facilities inclde four outdoor and two covered tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and other recreational facilities, including plans for an 18 hole golf course.

Canadian Architect

Vancouver, East Asiatic Centre

The East Asiatic House, built in 1963 at 1201 West Pender Street in Vancouver was architect Gerald Hamilton's first largescale exercise in New Formalism. Hamilton broke away from the typical single slab tower, instead framing a low banking pavilion with two adjoining office blocks. Sculptural wall panels of white marble create a richly textured effect and seem to float above the emerald green arched columns of the ground floor. The building's raised podium allowed an intimate front courtyard several feet above street level, the sense of calm repose accentuated by extensive plantings, fountains, and the requisite abstract sculpture.

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Edgemont Terrace

Folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Edgemond Terrace in Vancouver, B.C. The architects on the project were Wilding & Norman S. Jones, M.A.I.B.C., President.

Mr. Jones received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of British Columbia in 1957. Later he was awarded the B.C. Electric Post Graduate Fellowship for study in Europe. Mr. Jones became a registered member of the Architectural Institute of B.C. and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in May 1960. He has been in private practise continuously
since that time.

Awards and Recognitions:

Canadian Housing Design Council Awards
Edgemont Terraces, North Vancouver, BC

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Emily Carr School of Art

Folder consists of 6 photographic prints of the Emily Carr School of Art. The Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design is located on Granville Island, a highly successful urban precinct on the waterfront in the heart of Vancouver. The building context ranges from the small scale of single-story shops to the industrial scale of a concrete plant and the superscale of a major high-level bridge which spans over the island. The natural context of the waterfront adds a marine character to the island and the buildings which occupy it, which has both industrial and recreational dimensions.

The fundamental design problem for the building was an urban one. The building program required 60 000 square feet of studios and associated spaces, including a library and large lecture theatre, and 255 parking stalls located across the street from existing college facilities. Because subsurface conditions make building a parking garage entirely below grade impracticable, the fundamental problem was to position a college building on top of a three-story parking garage while at the same time addressing the varying scales and pedestrian-oriented character of Granville Island.

The disposition of the building volumes mediates the building?s bulk and the impact of the parking garage on the surrounding streets. The library is located at ground level, screening the garage and providing a public amenity at street level. The remaining program components are located above street level and grouped around a double-height glazed concourse space.

As is typical of construction on Granville Island, corrugated metal cladding is used for insulated walls, services are generally left exposed, and detailing is direct.

Architect: Patkau Architects / Toby Russell Buckwell and Partners.

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Era townhouses

Folder consists of 5 b&w photographic prints of the Era Townhouses in Vancouver, B.C. The architecture firm on the project was Hawthorn Mansfield Towers Architects of Vancouver. The owner of the townhouses project was Werner Kahn. The project received an honour award from Canadian Architect magazine in June 1980.

Bryan, Jack

Vancouver, False Creek

Folder consists of a number of photographs of the False Creek townhouses and the surroudning urban landscape. Many of the photographs contain caption and information for articles on the back.

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Filberg house

Filberg House is an ethereal, glass-walled pavilion with undulating 14-foot ceilings and views that stretch across mountains, water and a seemingly infinite sky. The residence, hailed in a 1961 issue of Canadian Homes magazine as ''the most fabulous house in Canada,'' was an important early project of Arthur Erickson, the globe-trotting Vancouver architect whose recent work includes the Museum of Glass that opened last July in Tacoma, Wash.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/arts/art-architecture-canada-s-most-fabulous-house-makes-a-comeback.html?sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Scott, Simon

Vancouver, Forbes residence

File consists of 1 b&w photograph of the Forbes Residence in Vancouver, B.C. Architect was James K.M. Cheng. Appears to have been used in the June 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.

Canadian Architect

Kelowna, Caravel Hotel

Folder contains 1 b&w photograph of the interior of the Caravel Hotel in Kelowna, B.C. The photo appears to have been taken for the November 1965 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Graham residence

Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Graham Residence in West Vancouver, B.C. featured in CA Magazine July 1966. Architect was Arthur Erikson. The architectural marvel that Arthur Erickson has credited with kick-starting his career is in danger of being torn down. "The David Graham house in 1963 launched my reputation as the architect you went to when you had an impossible site, Erickson is quoted as saying in 1988's The Architecture of Arthur Erickson."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ouno/3551583809/ http://blog.ounodesign.com/2009/05/20/goodbye-arthur-erickson/

Fulker, John

Vancouver, Granville Island

The folder consists of various photographs of Granville Island, B.C. The design and master plan for the redevelopment of Granville Island in the 1970s was visionary and defining. The formerly dilapidated industrial site was transformed into a vibrant and livable community, which set a worldwide precedent for mixed-use waterfront environments. Today, HBBH continues its urban design work on Granville Island, working with the Government of Canada to ensure the Island remains a lively and productive community.

Fulker, John; Koppers, & MSL Productions

Results 4501 to 4600 of 4955