- Dwellings containing two or more complete residential units, each usually occupied by separate households.
- Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- UF multiple dwelling
- UF dwellings, multiple
- UF multiple-unit dwellings
41 Archival description results for multiple dwellings
1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms
- [ca. 1966]
Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.
- [January] 1969; [March] 1971
Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.
- [December] 1962
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.
- [ca. 1970]
Aerial view of the apartment tower, showing Humber river and nearby Old Mill Inn. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the architect as Raymond Mandel, and the photographer as Jack Mitchell.
- [December] 1985
Award of Excellence CA Magazine December 1985
The complex consists of a 356 room hotel with restaurant and a convention facilities, retail stores, offices,apartments, and recreational and social amenities.
- [June] 1981
Exterior view of a mid-rise apartment building, in red brick, located at 25 Henry Terrace in Toronto. The building is constructed of four blocks, attached by elevated walkways, and houses residential apartments as well as a Catholic school.
- [October] 1981
Exterior views of a high-rise residential apartment building. One interior view of pool area. Some photographs are stamped with the photographer's name: Fiona Spalding Smith.
- [December] 1980
Photograph of a design concept drawing for the McMurrich Street Condominiums, a joint venture by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Belmont Construction Company Limited. A piece of paper is taped to the back of the photograph.
- [February] 1971
Interior and exterior views of a single family dwelling, a Queen Anne Victorian townhouse with third storey addition and 1960s interior remodeling. Rounded, stuccoed walls and wood panneling can be found in the interior.
- [July] 1958
Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.
- 1965, [April] 1970
Exterior views of a high-rise apartment building with concrete balconies, and one photograph of the model. One photograph of the streetcorner (in colour) shows a 3-dimensional geometrical sign.
- [ca. 1981]
Aerial views of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, a group of townhouses clustered around interior loop roads buffered from adjacent traffic arteries by higher density apartments containing street level retail arcades and with a linear promenade park strip along its entire length. The images were reproduced in an article on the St. Lawrence neighbourhood in the June 1981 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
- [May] 1972
This dense 100 unit public housing project will provide for single parent families and low income larger families. The idea is to integrate families with similar needs and life styles and to help to minimize stresses associated with public housing.
CA Magazine May 1972
- [September] 1985; [September] 1986
Architect's model and exterior view of finished high rise residential condominium located at 480 Queens Quay West in Toronto, designed with stepped levels and walls of glass windows.
- [May] 1961; [April] 1967
Photographs of the exterior of a planned community in Toronto, with both high rise and townhouse structures. Views of the highrise block under construction. One interior view of a living room and dining room inside one of the two-storey townhouses.
- [Jan 1970]
Photograph of a series of semi-detached houses. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: National Design Award 1969. The photographer's stamp gives the studio as: N. & H. Studio.
N. & H. Studio
- [April-June] 1981
Photographs of the exterior of an apartment complex, including aerial views, walkways between buildings and construction views. Two illustrations show the proposed central green space between buildings and the placement of the apartments on a map.
- (ca. 1975-1979)
Folder consists of 4 photographic prints of the outside of the Bayshore Apartment complex. The building is attributed to Henriquez and Partners Architects, 322 Water Street, Vancouver, B.C.
- September 1959
Exterior perspective view of apartment building, night scene. Built shortly after the Second World War, Regent Park was a leading-edge design, providing affordable housing to 7,500 people.
- [July] 1966
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Graham Residence in West Vancouver, B.C. featured in CA Magazine July 1966. Architect was Arthur Erikson. The architectural marvel that Arthur Erickson has credited with kick-starting his career is in danger of being torn down. "The David Graham house in 1963 launched my reputation as the architect you went to when you had an impossible site, Erickson is quoted as saying in 1988's The Architecture of Arthur Erickson."
Winner of 1974 CHDC. Jury comments: "Sensitivity to form, exellent siting with good circulation combine to create both unit and community scale very appropriate to the setting. Neighbourhoods are visually identified by use of colour changes. Although these houses are attached, there isa walkway from front to back for each unit plus a separate basement entry.
- [April] 1966
Folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Edgemond Terrace in Vancouver, B.C. The architects on the project were Wilding & Norman S. Jones, M.A.I.B.C., President.
Mr. Jones received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of British Columbia in 1957. Later he was awarded the B.C. Electric Post Graduate Fellowship for study in Europe. Mr. Jones became a registered member of the Architectural Institute of B.C. and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in May 1960. He has been in private practise continuously
since that time.
Awards and Recognitions:
Canadian Housing Design Council Awards
Edgemont Terraces, North Vancouver, BC
- [July] 1980-1984
Folder consists of a number of photographs of the False Creek townhouses and the surroudning urban landscape. Many of the photographs contain caption and information for articles on the back.
- [May] 1972
Exterior view of a high rise residential building. A piece of paper adhered to verso gives details of the Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design that this building received in 1971. Extract from Jury report: "The jury admired the planning approach which resulted in the living groups formed by the plan of this building. It is a good, competant structure which is clean in appearance, positive and strong. Its relationship to the street is very good." Designer: Elmar Tampold, J. Malcolm Wells Architects. The building is located at the corner of Bloor Street and Madison Avenue in Toronto and is a co-ed housing complex for post-secondary students, founded by the Estonian community in Toronto.
- [July] 1985
Photograph of the exterior of a high rise apartment building that has been retrofitted by Westeel. The new exterior cladding is advertised as thermally efficient and durably constructed, and was featured in a Spec Sheet for Preformed Metal Siding in Canadian Architect magazine for July 1985.
Photographic reproduction of an architectural elevation on postcard backing. The original stucco cottage built in 1853 was renovated twice by the original owner, Paul Kane. It was owned by the Kane family until 1903, then it was briefly used as a church hall by the Evangelical Church of the Deaf. The property was leased by the Church-Isabella Residents Co-operative Inc. in 1985 and incorporated into a larger residential development.
(Information taken from Toronto Historical Board plaque on property.)