Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Library Department
Physical description area
less than 0.25 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The library was established, with William Willcox appointed as the Librarian. It was located in two rooms on the ground floor of the Ryerson Hall (Normal School) building and was used mainly for meetings. Its first order of 1000 volumes of books was placed in 1949. In 1954 Margaret Culp was appointed Head Librarian, with the library collection growing to 7000 volumes in 1956. Philip McLeod was appointed Head Librarian in 1957. In 1958 the Library Collection grows to 8,000 books and 200 periodicals while small collections of photographic slides and paperbacks are added to the holdings. Students are given their first orientation by staff. In 1960, Barbara Knox was appointed Head Librarian, and in 1961 the Library issues its first statement of objectives. In 1962 Margaret MacGregor is appointed Head Librarian. In 1963 the library is relocated to the newly completed Howard Kerr Hall and its collection grows to 15000 volumes. In 1965 Arthur Paulaitis was appointed Head Librarian. In 1966 the Library moved to the MGM building at the corner of Gould and Victoria Sts, and by 1967 the library had 6 librarians on staff. In 1968 the library moved again to the Business building on Victoria Street. In 1971 the library's first collection development policy is created, and by 1972 it had 90 000 volumes with specialized collections such as periodicals on microfilm and government documents are established. In 1974 the Library is renamed the Learning Resources Centre and John North is appointed as its new Director and the Donald Mordell Learning Resources Centre is officially opened on the site of the old MGM building. In 1976, the Ryerson Archives, established in 1971, becomes affiliated with the Library and in 1977 two new special collections are established within the Library - the Energy Centre and the Third World Learning Resources Centre. In 1979 the Ryerson Library becomes the first library in North America to operate its circulation on the DOBIS/LIBIS on-line computer system. In 1990 Richard Malinski is appointed Chief Librarian.
Scope and content
GIS stands for Geographic Information System.
The Library's Geospatial Map & Data Centre collaborated with the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies to participate in global GIS Day, promoting the field and sharing information. Ryerson first hosted this event in 2014.
The file contains notices of the event taking place in the Library.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accurals are expected annually.