Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Architectural drawing
- Moving images
Other title information
Ryerson Library and Archives (RULA) was the name of the Library between 2008 and 2018.
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1948 - ? (Creation)
- Library Department
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Library was established, with William Willcox appointed as the Librarian. It was located in two rooms on the ground floor of the Ryerson Hall (Normal School) building and was used mainly for meetings. Its first order of 1,000 volumes of books was placed in 1949. In 1954, Margaret Culp was appointed Head Librarian, with the library collection growing to 7,000 volumes in 1956. Philip McLeod was appointed Head Librarian in 1957. In 1958, the Library Collection grows to 8,000 books and 200 periodicals while small collections of photographic slides and paperbacks are added to the holdings. As well, students were given their first orientation by staff.
In 1960, the fourth Head Librarian appoint is Barbara Knox, and in 1961 the Library issued its first statement of objectives. In 1962, Margaret MacGregor is appointed Head Librarian. In 1963 the Library is relocated to the newly completed Howard Kerr Hall and its collection grows to 15,000 volumes. In 1965, Arthur Paulaitis was appointed Head Librarian. In 1966, the Library moved to the MGM building at the s/w corner of Gould and Victoria Sts, and by 1967 the library had 6 librarians on staff. In 1968 the library moved again to the Business building (later named Victoria Building) on Victoria Street.
In 1971, the Library's first collection development policy is created, and by 1972 it had 90 000 volumes with specialized collections such as periodicals on microfilm and government documents are established. In 1974, the Library is renamed the Learning Resources Centre and John North is appointed as its new Director, replacing Arthur Paulaitis, and the Donald Mordell Learning Resources Centre is officially opened on the site of the old MGM building. In 1976, the Ryerson Archives, established in 1971, becomes affiliated with the Library and in 1977 two new special collections are established within the Library - the Energy Centre and the Third World Learning Resources Centre. In 1979, the Ryerson Library becomes the first library in North America to operate its circulation on the DOBIS/LIBIS on-line computer system.
In 1990, Richard Malinski is appointed Chief Librarian, replacing John North.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Records under review. Contact the Archives for information on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Accruals are ongoing.