Title and statement of responsibility area
Leica 1 (A)
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[manufactured between 1925 and 1930] (Creation)
- Leica Camera
Physical description area
1 piece of photographic equipment : camera ; 13x6.5x6 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
Item is a 35mm Leica camera. This pre-war model, produced from 1925 to 1930 was the first commercially produced Leica and the first mass produced 35mm camera of high quality. The non-interchangeable Leitz Elmar lens is f. 3.5 50mm with a focal plan shutter. The Leica company (a combination of the last name Leitz and the word Camera), had an unexpected role in WWII Germany; Ernst Leitz II, director of the Leica company from 1920 to 1956, began hiring young Jewish workers in his Wetzlar lens factory shortly after Adolf Hitler took control of Germany. The interns, an estimated 50 overall, were trained and sent to work in the company's New York offices, saving them from the Nazi regime's Anti-Jewish Legislation.
Item is in good working condition but show faily heavy use marks, like brassing and surface scratches , the leather covering had been replaced and shows a flaw at the back.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Serial number: 20115.
Item is from the Wilhelm E. Nassau/Wilfrid Laurier University donation, accession number 2011.018. Moved to the Heritage Camera Collection in 2013.
Item was purchsed by WLU for their museum.