Title and statement of responsibility area
Kodak Canada Corporate Archives and Heritage Collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Attributions and conjectures: Supplied by cataloguer.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kodak Canada Inc.
Physical description area
29 m of textual records.
36 m of photographs (ca. 7,500 b&w, ca. 7,600 col., ca. 13,000 negatives, ca. 34,000 slides, 867 COL. transparencies).
8 audiocassettes. - 1 audio reel. - 4 film reels. - 11 optical discs. - 183 videocassettes. - 2 video reels.
ca. 350 architectural drawings.
35 ad ledgers.
11 m published material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Canadian Kodak Ltd., which became Kodak Canada Inc. in 1979, manufactured photographic films, papers and equipment for over a century in Toronto, Ontario. The company formed the Canadian branch of the successful Eastman Kodak Company, and officially opened its doors in 1900 at 41 Colborne Street under the direction of John G. Palmer. The company expanded and moved to 588 King Street West in 1908, but already plans were underway for an expansive complex to the north of the city. In 1912, Canadian Kodak purchased 25 acres of farmland near Weston Road and Eglinton Avenue to build a major manufacturing facility known as Kodak Heights. By 1925, there were over 900 employees working in seven buildings at Kodak Heights. Over the years, the company earned a reputation for having a cooperative and supportive relationship with its employees, adopting many of the successful practices in place at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. In 1940, an Employee's Building was constructed to accommodate the activities of the flourishing Recreation Club, the Department Mangers' Club, and the Kodak Heights Camera Club. During the 1990s, the rise of digital media began to have a serious impact on manufacturing programs at Kodak facilities around the world, causing the Eastman Kodak Company to reduce its production of traditional print photography by one third globally. The company chose to focus on digital products, which did not require the extensive facilities used in the production of traditional photographic materials. On December 9, 2004, Kodak Canada Ltd. informed its employees that manufacturing operations in traditional film products would cease entirely at Kodak Heights. The company's facility faced the same fate as many of its foreign counterparts in England, Australia and France, being completely abandoned and demolished shortly after closure in 2005. Kodak Canada still maintains a sales and support office in downtown Toronto, while the manufacture of traditional photographic chemistry has returned to Rochester.
Name of creator
Name of creator
Scope and content
The Kodak Canada collection contains records and artifacts from the Kodak Heights manufacturing facility in Toronto, as well as the historical collection belonging to the Kodak Heritage Collection Museum. The collection consists of photographs, negatives, advertising records, magazines, pamphlets, daily record books, recipe books, cameras and other photographic equipment produced by Kodak Canada Inc., or other Kodak plants around the world. The collection includes a small selection of financial records, blueprints for Kodak facilities in Canada, and other corporate ephemera, as well as photographs of events, buildings and individual employees that illustrate the social life of the company.
Immediate source of acquisition
In the spring of 2005 many of Kodak Canada's corporate records were donated to the Ryerson University Library to form the core collection of the new Special Collections department. Along with the photo files, trade circulars and record books that helped inform the business operations at Kodak Heights, Ryerson also received the contents of the Kodak Heritage Collection Museum. The museum was established in 1999 in anticipation of the company's centennial, but was short-lived, closing its doors when Kodak Heights ceased operations.
This collection was originally arranged according to material type and efforts are currently underway to re-connect the records to their original locations and purposes through browseable hierarchies. A complete finding aid to the collection is available and more materials have yet to be added to the descriptive series.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Digital images of some of the advertisements in the collection are available.
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid to the collection is available.
Gordon Meinecke fonds
Yvonne Flavelle-Arthur Hurill fonds
Nicholas and Marilyn M. Graver collection [Kodak publications]
Kodakery and Studio Light magazines
Heritage Camera Collection
Accruals: 2008.007. Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata