File 2005.003.2.07 - Kodak

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Kodak

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

File

Repository

Reference code

2005.003.2.07

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1910- ca. 2005] (Creation)
    Creator
    Kodak Canada Inc.

Physical description area

Physical description

6.5 cm of published material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1900-)

Administrative history

Canadian Kodak Ltd., which became Kodak Canada Inc. in 1979, manufactured photographic films, papers and equipment for over a century in Toronto, Ontario. The company formed the Canadian branch of the successful Eastman Kodak Company, and officially opened its doors in 1900 at 41 Colborne Street under the direction of John G. Palmer. The company expanded and moved to 588 King Street West in 1908, but already plans were underway for an expansive complex to the north of the city. In 1912, Canadian Kodak purchased 25 acres of farmland near Weston Road and Eglinton Avenue to build a major manufacturing facility known as Kodak Heights. By 1925, there were over 900 employees working in seven buildings at Kodak Heights. Over the years, the company earned a reputation for having a cooperative and supportive relationship with its employees, adopting many of the successful practices in place at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. In 1940, an Employee's Building was constructed to accommodate the activities of the flourishing Recreation Club, the Department Mangers' Club, and the Kodak Heights Camera Club. During the 1990s, the rise of digital media began to have a serious impact on manufacturing programs at Kodak facilities around the world, causing the Eastman Kodak Company to reduce its production of traditional print photography by one third globally. The company chose to focus on digital products, which did not require the extensive facilities used in the production of traditional photographic materials. On December 9, 2004, Kodak Canada Ltd. informed its employees that manufacturing operations in traditional film products would cease entirely at Kodak Heights. The company's facility faced the same fate as many of its foreign counterparts in England, Australia and France, being completely abandoned and demolished shortly after closure in 2005. Kodak Canada still maintains a sales and support office in downtown Toronto, while the manufacture of traditional photographic chemistry has returned to Rochester.

Name of creator

(1888 -)

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1922-)

Biographical history

Wilhelm E. Nassau was born in Vienna, Austria in 1922, where he attended public and secondary school. He became seriously interested in film and photography in 1939, when he obtained his first 9 1/2 mm amateur movie camera. From 1940-1942, he attended the Vienna Staatliche Graphische Lehreun Versuchsanstalt, eventually earning a Masters Degree in Photography. Later, he obtained a secondary diploma in Electronic Engineering from a Vienna technical college, specializing in Television.

From 1942 - 1944, Nassau worked as a technician developing colour photography processes and on various feature film productions in Germany. In 1945, he worked for the Psychological Warfare Branch of the British 8th Army, shooting film and photographs.

After the war, Nassau found work at a researcher and photographer for the Third Man, a film production by the London Film Company in 1948. Similar awssignements followed and in 1956 Nassau began work for the newly established Austrian State Television. After coming to Ottawa, Ontario in 1959, Nassau worked for the CBC, CTV and. later, for ABC in Vermont.

In 1969, Wilfren Laurier University (then the Waterloo Lutheran University) hired Nassau to spearhead the development of an Audio-Visual department, where he developed courses in Film Study, Radio and Television Arts and Photograhpy. He also headed the development of the Telecollege program; televised lecture courses for distance education.

Nassau holds a Masters Degree in Near Eastern Archeology and an honorary Doctorate from Wilfred Laurier University.

He has produced many documentaries for various museums in canada and abroad, and acts as a consultant for the National Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa and the Glass Museum in Baernbach, Austria.

Nassau is a Life Member of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers and the Canadian Society of Cinematographers. He is also a Charter Member of the Photographic Historical Society of Canada. He currently lives in Waterloo and works as a volunteer for the Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery.

Name of creator

(1911-)

Biographical history

Beginning in 1911 as the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, in Waterloo, Ontario. Non-denominational courses began to be offered in 1914. The school changed it's name to the Waterloo College of Arts in 1924, becoming the Waterloo Lutheran University in 1959, shortly before the Lutheran church discontinued it's sponsorship of the university. Finally, Wilfrid Laurier University was established in 1973, with the Wilfrid Laurier University Act.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

File contains users guides and information on motion picture equipment produced by Kodak and all it's subsidiaries.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area