The industrial building and offices has a steel frame, bolted in the factory area, and bolted and welded in the office area. The curtain wall of windows in the office area is accented by exposed exterior columns. This architectural detail (the columns) was originally developed by the architects for a school building, to aid in the addition of a second storey. The building has concrete floors throughout and a steel roof deck.
Exterior views of the main Ontario Division Building office located at 800 Bay Street in Toronto. A Toronto Dominion branch bank is located on the main floor of the building, with a sign visible in one of the photographs. Interior view with workers seated at rows of desks.
Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.
The Joseph Shepard Building is located in the urban core of the North York region of Toronto. The fourteen-storey, modern office complex is pyramidal in form with stepped massing and an asymmetrical plan. The building's walls are clad in rust-red and brown clay brick and have continuous bands of windows and brick spandrels that create a strong horizontal emphasis. Prominent features of its design are its five-storey atrium, many open-air terraces, public courtyard and accessible mall. A strong architectural vocabulary unifies the interior and exterior. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
View of the exterior of the building, terra-cotta detail above the window and aerial level of the building. The building was constructed ca. 1890. Several interior views of hallways, windows and stairs.
The headquarters building is four storeys high, aproximetely 430 ft. long by 210 ft. wide and has a gross floor area of 340.000 sq.ft. Two courtyards occupying the center bays of the building provide natural light to interior offices and laboratories. The building programme included offices, warehousing facilities, classrooms, lecture theatre, research library and archives, cafeteria and specialized scientific facilities such as observetion domes, radar equipment and wind tunnels. Views of the courts, lobby, typical service core. Interior and exterior views.
Head office is jointly occupied by Catholic Education Center. Building cost was 33.5 million including land and construction. View of entrance, interior and exterior of the building. Images 2009.002.016.002 & 003 had yellow sticky notes attached indicating they were considered for the July 1982 cover of Canadian Architect magazine. The sticky notes were kept with the files. Images of the reception area show a ceramic mural by Angelo di Petta called Canadian Allegory. This mural is made of 84 tiles which will cover the entire third floor lobby wall.
Images of the model for the former Ontario Association of Architects headquarters at 50 Park Road Toronto, Ontario. The modernist building was designed by John C. Parkin, and served as the home of the OAA from the building's completion in 1954 until 1992. The building is now occupied by DTAH, a landscape design company.
Photograph of the exterior of a three storey office building located at 1883 Yonge Street in Toronto. An article on the building was published in the December 1970 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Architect's model for the Scotiabank office tower at the corner of King and Yonge Streets in downtown Toronto. The design incorporates the historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 story high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.
Office and shopping complex located at 99 Yorkville Avenue. Office space designed by Webb, Zerafa, Menkes, Housden partnership for their own use. Published in the May 1974 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Photograph of the exterior of a government office building occupied by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and its courtyard/entrance decoration. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph identifies the subject as the Haida sculpture in front of the building.
Architect's model of the stepped library building, with arched main entrance, an atrium connecting six floors, curved staircases, and semi-circular balconies. Design by Moriyama and Teshima. Adhered to the same paper backing is a photo of an artist's illustration of the Crown Life building by Bregman + Hamann.
Interior and exterior views of a high-rise office tower and lower-level shopping concourse, designed in glass and concrete. One view of courtyard outside the building. Shopping area shows a Mappins retail store and a telephone booth.
Exterior views of terminal building after conversion to multi-purpose building, from the water and interior views of south atrium with shopping concourse. One architectural drawing with caption: Architectural rendering of Terminal Warehouse façade when Queen's Quay Terminal at York is completed. One reprint of a newspaper photo of the terminal building when still in use as railroad terminal and offices of CN Rail.
Photographs of the exterior of the building also known as the "Flatiron" at 49 Wellington Street East in Toronto. The Romanesque Revival building was constructed in 1892 as an office building and has been designated a heritage property. The photographs in this file were probably taken to illustrate the construction of the CN Tower, contrasting with an older, well-known city landmark and showing the effects on the skyline before and after.
Maquette of two office towers with landscaping, shot in colour and black and white. A sticker on the verso of one of the photographs lists the two towers and The North American Life Centre and The Xerox Tower, to be located at the North-West corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.
Interior and exterior views of the building. This office building has a 'green roof', which reduces the amount of energy required to heat and cool the building. It also has an extensive shopping mall at the ground floor and an arboretum with a waterfall at the Queen Street entrance. The double-decker elevator cabs are found inside the atrium, which stretches the entire height of the building.
Photograph of the main entrance to the brick office building at 170 Merton Street in Toronto. The building was donated in 1969 by the W. Garfield Weston Foundation in memory of Mrs. Garfield Weston, a V.H.A. client.
Photograph of the exterior of a low-rise office building at night. Office has a large decorative concrete mural above the main entrance designed by Don Wallace, Primavera Design Group, and the related article in Canadian Architect magazine discusses the creation, shipment and installation of this piece.
Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.
Two renovated Victorian homes turned into office space in Toronto's Yorkville neighbourhood. Interior photographs showing offices, waiting areas, hallways, bathrooms, stairwells, and pedestrian underground shopping concourse.
Photograph of a long, two-storey office building with a white clapboard exterior, established as temporary offices for the Canadian war effort. A piece of paper adhered to the verso describes this structure as "Temporary Building No. 1".
Exterior views of the office building, showing the glass and porcelain curtain wall of the front entrance and the glass sign next to the entrance. The wall has a double skin: the windows are double-plate sealed units with metal-faced panels providing air space.
Architect's model of the building. Sticker on back of photograph reads: Model of the Homeworld mega centre in Metropolitan Toronto, looking north towards Highway 401. The semi-translucent fibreglass dome will measure 240X240 feet and soar 120 feet from ground level. Photo credit: Zeidler Roberts Partnership/ Architects. Information: 416 968 2100."
Photograph of a model design proposed for the redevelopment of the old stock exchange building. The design included a tower with 13 storeys of office space and 11 storeys of condominiums. The design was never implemented, and instead the Ernst & Yonge Tower was constructed on the site.