Showing 628 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.
Print preview View:

Doug Light, Fred Jorgenson, and Al Allman

Colour image of Doug Light, Fred Jorgenson, and Al Allman looking at a box containing a pen and pencil set.

Doug Light started at Ryerson in 1963 as part of the Metallurgical Technology department. He left in 1968 as was appointed the Vice President of Humber College until 1971. From 1971-1978 he was the President of Centennial College. And from 1978-1991 he served as President of George Brown College. Doug passed away in 1993.
Frederick C. Jorgenson was the Principal of Ryerson Polytechnical Institute from 1967-1969. He was Ryerson's first with the title of President.
Allan Allman was hired into the Industrial Chemistry department at Ryerson in 1950. He worked at Ryerson until 1983.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Alice Palin receiving a gift

Colour image of Alice Palin being presented with a gift by an unidentified woman. Eric Palin is on the right hand side of the image.

Alice Palin is the wife of Eric Palin.
Eric Leese Palin joined the newly established Training and Re-establishment Institute opened by the RCAF. He joined the staff of Ryerson Polytechnical Institute upon its incorporation on September 16, 1948. Eric Palin was the Director of the Electrical & Electronic Technology program and the later Radio & Television Arts Program. In 1959 Eric Palin became the Executive Assistant to the Principal H. H. Kerr where he worked until 1961 when he transferred to the Ontario Department of Education. In 1963 he was appointed the Assistant Superintendent of Technology and Trades Training, and then in 1966 he became the Associate Director of Applied Arts and Technology. Eric Pallin retired in 1967 and was appointed the Executive Secretary to the Advisory Council for Sir Sanford Fleming College. He passed away in 1971.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Minister of Education William Davis at podium

Colour image of Minister of Education William Davis speaking at the podium during the sod turning ceremony for Jorgenson Hall.

William Grenville (Bill) Davis, PC, CC, O.ONT, QC (born July 30, 1929 in Brampton, Ontario) was the 18th Premier of Ontario, Canada from 1971 to 1985.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Men on bulldozers

Colour image of two bulldozers - Eggy II and Eggy III. The men on the bulldozer in the foreground are Ryerson Board of Governor's chair William Kelly (no hardhat) and the man in the driver's seat is Minister of Education William Davis. This was part of the sod turning ceremony for Jorgenson Hall.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Construction site for Jorgenson Hall

Colour image of the construction site for Jorgenson Hall and the Podium building taken from the roof of Howard Kerr Hall. Image shows North end of site. Temperance Hall visible at the top of the image.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Graduate and family

Colour image of 2 men and 2 women standing in the Quad. Man on the right is in convocation robes.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Green and red dome in Kerr Hall quad

Colour image of a green and red dome set up in the Quad behind the facade. Signs for mathematics, physics, and computer science are posted on the side of it. Large crowd of people in and around the structure.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Domes in Kerr Hall quad

Colour image of a black and white, and a purple and red dome set up in the Quad. Crowd of people in and around the domes.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Library Building

Colour image of the exterior of the Library building. Photo taken looking north west from Gould Street.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Quad construction

Colour image of quad construction and landscaping. Facade is focal point of this photograph.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Quad construction

Colour image of quad construction and landscaping. Facade is focal point of this photograph.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Photograph envelopes

File contains 142 photographs. Majority of them are of the demolition of the old campus buildings, but does include other campus building photographs, and photographs of faculty and staff.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Black material on the ground

Photograph of piece of material crumpled on the ground. Covered the face of the graduate sculpture (see F 536.20.01.19), which stands over one of the Gould Street entrances to the Quad.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall south (Unit III)

Constructions workers on scaffolding and in windows of Howard Kerr Hall south over the entry way into the Quad. "The Goalie" sculpture is obscured behind the scaffolding.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: mother and child

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a seated woman holding a child. Featured on the south exterior Quad wall of Kerr Hall south. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: stand mixer

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a stand mixer. Featured on the south exterior Quad wall of Kerr Hall south. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: iron

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a clothes iron. Featured on the south exterior Quad wall of Kerr Hall south. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: microphone

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a microphone with "CJRT" over top of it. Featured on the south wall of Kerr Hall along Gould Street. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: camera

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a camera. Featured on the south wall of Kerr Hall along Gould Street. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: surveying transit

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a surveying transit. Featured on the south wall of Kerr Hall along Gould Street. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Howard Kerr Hall bas-relief: microscope

Bas-relief by Doris Pedery-Hunt featuring a microscope. Featured on the south wall of Kerr Hall along Gould Street. One of a series of 14 created to reflect the nature of Ryerson's programs at the time Howard Kerr Hall was constructed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Demolition of Ryerson Hall

Demolition of Ryerson Hall. Photograph taken from top of Howard Kerr Hall looking south west in the Quad. Third floor of both wings is gone. Centre section still at full height.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Demolition of Ryerson Hall

Demolition of Ryerson Hall. Photograph taken from top of Howard Kerr Hall looking south west in the Quad. Third floor of both wings is gone. Centre section still at full height.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Demolition of heating plant building

Heat stack in left foreground. Building at its base, between Ryerson Hall and Middle building on the west side, missing roof and full of rubble. Middle building on left has back wall still intact, and demolition of Ryerson Hall auditorium roof visible on right side.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall demolition

Photograph taken from the roof of Howard Kerr Hall looking south at the Ryerson Hall building. East wing roof missing and cupola roof almost gone.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall demolition

Photograph taken from the roof of Howard Kerr Hall looking south at the Ryerson Hall building. Third floor roof removed, and roof of cupola in progress on being removed.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall west wing demolition

Top view of the east wing demolition of Ryerson Hall. Roof is missing. A construction worker is visible through the window. Maple Leaf Gardens is centred in the background.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall

Photograph taken from the ground looking up of Ryerson Hall centre block and west wing. Roof demolition has begun. Cupola is still intact.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Envelope 5

Envelope contains 12 photographs of of the demolition of the middle and Ryerson Hall buildings.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson building demolition

Looking south towards Ryerson Hall, Residence building has been completely demolished as has west end of the Middle building

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall demolition

Looking west at east end of Ryerson Hall building. Windows have been removed from the third floor and the cupola is missing its roof.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson buildings demolition

East wing roof removed. Crane removing part of roof from centre section [?] Roof of auditorium missing. Lower right corner shows the Middle building - mostly demolished.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Demolition of Ryerson Hall

Looking west demolition of third floor of west wing. Workers on site. Photograph taken from roof of Howard Kerr Hall West.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall demolition

View looking south of Ryerson Hall demolition. East and west wings only have partial second and first storey's left. Centre section is still standing, minus the roof and back auditorium.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall demolition

View looking south west of Ryerson Hall demolition. East and west wings only have partial second and first storey's left. Centre section is still standing, minus the roof and back auditorium.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Ryerson Hall west wing demolition

View looking east of Ryerson Hall's west wing being demolished. Third storey and partial second storey are gone. Construction workers along back edge of second storey working.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Envelope 10

Envelope contains 9 photographs of buildings at Case Western Reserve University. At the time the photographs were taken it was Case Institute of Technology.

The Case Institute was located in Cleveland Ohio. It was founded in 1877 by Leonard Case Jr., a philanthropic citizen of Cleveland and early benefactor of the engineering school. He initiated a secret trust to endow a polytechnic school in Cleveland. This school would train men in engineering and applied science, enabling them to build on a young, growing nation's vast resources. Within four months of his death in 1880, the trust was administered and the Case School of Applied Science was born.

Classes initially were held in the Case family's downtown Cleveland home until a provision to Stone's gift that Western Reserve University and the Case School of Applied Science occupy adjoining campuses led to the school's relocation in 1885 to what is now known as University Circle on the city's east side. Funds for the land, however, had to be raised by the community.

A committee for the two institutions raised $119,400 from 56 donors by March 1881. A land purchase discount from Cordelia Ford and Liberty E. Holden, whose 43-acre property formed the early campus, netted $33,000. The Ford family's University Circle-area homesteads were the initial locations of the Women's College of Western Reserve University and the School of Law.

The joint land purchase was the first of many collaborations between Western Reserve University and the Case School of Applied Science. Over the years, the university developed strong liberal arts and professional programs, while the institute, which adopted the name Case Institute of Technology in, became a top school of science and engineering.

The two institutions agreed their 1967 federation would create a complete university worthy of national distinction. Case Western Reserve University immediately became a leading institution for academics and research, as well as one the nation's top-ranked universities.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Pardee Hall

Built in 1957, Pardee Hall was a 300 person dormitory for the Case Institute. Is is presently called Yost Hall and is Case Western Reserve University's administration building.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Pardee Hall

Built in 1957, Pardee Hall was a 300 person dormitory for the Case Institute. Is is presently called Yost Hall and is Case Western Reserve University's administration building.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Albert W. Smith Chemical Building

Built in 1938-39, an addition was added in 1956 - which is the section you can see in the photograph. It is presently called the Albert W. Smith Building. Now part of the Case Western Reserve University.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Albert W. Smith Chemical Building

Built in 1938-39, an addition was added in 1956 - which is the section you can see in the photograph. It is presently called the Albert W. Smith Building. Now part of the Case Western Reserve University.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Eggy in the Quad

Colour image of Eggy II standing in the Quad during convocation. His hooves and horns are painted gold and he is wearing a blue and gold blanket. An unidentified man is holding his harness.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

25 year club celebration

Colour image of group of people standing and listening to someone off camera. The man in the grey suit is RTA professor Sid Perlmutter, the man in the blue blazer is G. Bullock of Image Arts, and the man on the far right is Jim Peters, archivist and English professor. In the background are large mounted photographs of four of the inductees - Jim Peters, Chuck Worsley, Fred Travell, and Roy Horney.
1977 inductees were Jim Peters, Chuck Worsley, Fred Travell, Roy Horney, and Gladys Doyle.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Roy Horney accepting acknowledgement

Colour image of Roy Horney accepting acknowledgement from an unidentified man. They are shaking hands. Part of the 25 year club celebration.
1977 inductees were Jim Peters, Chuck Worsley, Fred Travell, Roy Horney, and Gladys Doyle.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Photographic scrapbook

Series consists of photographs once contained in a scrapbook created and maintained by Charles Roy Horney. Photographs are primarily of the construction of Kerr Hall and the demolition of the old Normal School and its outlying buildings on campus.Also included is a photograph of Roy Horney, and other staff members.
When reading descriptions of photographs of the construction of Howard Kerr Hall and the demolition of the original school buildings, please note:

Unit I - ran from the corner of Church and Gould Sts to the corner of Church and Gerrard Sts. (Kerr Hall SE, E, and NE)
Unit II ran from the corner of Church and Gerrard to the corner of Victoria and Gould (Kerr Hall N, NW, and SW)
Unit III ran from the corner of Church and Gould to the corner of Gould and Victoria Kerr Hall S)

A map of the old buildings on site has been appended to this record - please look at this to determine location of building being described.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

South campus buildings

South east section of old Normal School buildings. Construction debris can be seen in the foreground and a small piece of Howard Kerr Hall on the left in the background as well.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Terry Byram

Colour image of 2 men and a woman seated at a table. The woman has her back to the camera. Terry Byram is the man on the right side of the photo.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

C. S. MacNaughton at podium

Colour image of Minister of Economics C. S. MacNaughton at the podium during the sod turning ceremony for Jorgenson Hall.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Group on stage at sod turning

Colour image of three men shaking hands, with two holding miniature bulldozers in their hands. Group of people seated are visible behind them. Photo taken during the sod turning ceremony for Jorgenson Hall.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

George Hutchinson, Glen Eligh, and Lois Eligh

Colour image of 4 people posing together in the Quad. They are in the quad for the sod turning ceremony for Jorgenson Hall.

Glen Eligh started in the Industrial Chemistry department in 1953. During his time at Ryerson he worked in Chemistry, and Biology

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Construction site for Jorgenson Hall

Colour image of the construction site for Jorgenson Hall and the Podium building taken from the roof of Howard Kerr Hall. Image shows North end of site. Temperance Hall visible at the top of the image.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Al Sauro in convocation robes

Colour image of Al Sauro gowned and hooded for convocation.

Alberindo (Al) Sauro started in Ryerson's Department of English in 1949. In 1956 he was the acting Director of English. From 1959 - 1968 he was Ryerson's Registrar and in 1968 became the Dean of Arts, then Applied Arts and finally acting Dean of Community Services. Al Sauro was also wrote Ryerson's song and conducted Ryerson's orchestra. Al Sauro retired from Ryerson in 1979 and became the Executive Director of COSTI service agency for new immigrants and unemployment. From 1987 - 1992 he served as a citizenship judge.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Quad construction

Colour image of the Quad with construction and landscaping work being done. Photo taken from Jorgenson Hall and also shows the area south east of the campus.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Bird of Spring sculpture

Colour image of the Bird of Spring Sculpture in its original location on Dundas Street. The sculpture is one of a series of 4 sculptures by the artist Etungat, and it and the Devonian pond on campus were created through funding by the Devonian Group of Charities.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

O'Keefe House

Colour image of the O'Keefe House residence. Saint George's Greek Orthodox Church is visible on the right side of the photo.

Horney, Charles Roy, Mr.

Resultaten 101 tot 200 van 628