Showing 214 results

Archival description
Toronto With digital objects
Print preview View:

Toronto, Bank of Montreal, 30 Yonge Street

Built in 1885 for the Bank of Montreal, this branch bank was one of the few buildings in the are to survive Toronto's Great Fire of 1904. Designed by Darling and Curry, the architects who had recently completed the equally august Victoria Hospital for Sick Children on College Street, the Bank of Montreal's head office was the most striking of Toronto's nineteenth-century bank buildings. The building remained a branch until 1982. The Hockey Hall of Fame officially opened in this building, incorporated into the BCE Place development, in 1993. The new $35 million facility has almost 60,000 square feet of floor space. There is access from shopping mall concourse level at BCE Place. The Hockey Hall of Fame is a world-class sports and entertainment facility and is one of Toronto's prime tourist attractions drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. "Hockey Hall of Fame - About Us," Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum, 2010. Accessed on October 21, 2010. http://www.hhof.com/html/gi20300.shtml

Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - subway stations and streetcars

Reprints of historical photographs of streetcars, including the Bay Streetcar (May 1, 1937) and streetcar track construction at Bay and Wellington streets (May 8, 1925). A streetcar enters the St. Clair West subway station (date unknown). View of Rosedale Valley subway bridge by John B. Parkin & Associates. Interiors of Dupont subway station (January 26, 1978), Saint Clair West station (date unknown), and Yorkdale subway station (date unknown). View of Yorkdale subway station (date unknown).

Toronto Pearson International Airport, Old Terminal 1

Interior and exterior of the development of the Toronto International Airport, showing photographs of planes, baggage claim, parking garages. Design drawings were published in the May 1958 issue of Canadian Architect. The airport was originally known as the Malton Airport, opened in 1937, and was redeveloped as an International Airport in the 1960s, and renamed in 1984 for former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

Jowett, H.R.

Toronto Eaton shoping center

View of the model, details of exterior and interior of the constructed building. Aerial views of the center. Total retail floor area 159,979.0 m2. It has five floors and fist was opened in 1977

Crang & Boake Inc.

Sunlife Tower

3 exterior views of whole office building, including details of exterior facade. 4 interior views of a work area, including Women's Lounge and Board Room, of Aluminum Co. of Canada Ltd., office reception, and a private office at Massey-Ferguson Ltd.

Parkin Architects Limited

St. Lawrence Market

Exterior photographs of the South Hall market, constructed in 1844 by William Thomas, J. Winston Siddall and H.B. Lane. This barn shaped brick building is located at 51 Front Street East in Toronto. The nearby classical revival hall, located at 151 King Street East, was originally built in 1851 and restored in 1967. Photographs include exterior views of renovation, and interior views of the hall ballroom.

Shelter Bay

This item contains two black and white acetate negatives of images published in the November 1958 issue of The Canadian Architect. The photographs are part of the article "Shelter Bay: Project for a New Mining Town on the St. Lawrence" concerned with the work of the archtectural firm Rother/Bland/Trudeau.

Lapointe Magne & associes

Roy Thomson Hall

Home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. Starting date of the construction is 1978, opened in 1982. photographs of the model,different construction stages, completed building, interior and prespective view of Roy Thompson hall.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Rogers Centre (SkyDome)

Photographs of the architect's model and illustrations for the SkyDome, a covered convertible dome over a baseball field and entertainment stadium. Artist's illustrations of proposed designs from The Webb Zerafa Menkes Housdon Partnership and The Robbie/Adjeleian/Norr Consortium. Later photographs show the construction of the dome, and an aerial view of hte site. The building was renamed the Rogers Centre in 2005.

Lenscape Incorporated

Portrait of a female graduate

Item is a dark brown card with gold letterpress at bottom centre, "J. FRASER BRYCE/ 107 KING STREET WEST, TORONTO". Picture is 3/4 view of a woman in cap and gown, holding a book in her left hand, with a white fur hood draped across her shoulders, possibly indicating an undergraduate degree obtained. A sticker on the verso reads "$1.00/ D".

J. Fraser Bryce

Paddy Sampson fonds

  • F 2010.003
  • Fonds

Fonds consists of audio reels and video tapes (VHS, U-Matic and Betacam) with excerpts of interviews, television shows and specials intended for broadcast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's (CBC) English Television Network. The tapes were compiled by Paddy Sampson during the course of his employment with the CBC as a television producer.

Sampson, Paddy

North York, Joseph Shepard Federal office building

The Joseph Shepard Building is located in the urban core of the North York region of Toronto. The fourteen-storey, modern office complex is pyramidal in form with stepped massing and an asymmetrical plan. The building's walls are clad in rust-red and brown clay brick and have continuous bands of windows and brick spandrels that create a strong horizontal emphasis. Prominent features of its design are its five-storey atrium, many open-air terraces, public courtyard and accessible mall. A strong architectural vocabulary unifies the interior and exterior. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Applied Photography Ltd.

North York, Burns Hall, Canadian Forces College

Interior and exterior views , including aerial views of the historic brick and ivy building with the concrete and brick additions and parking lot. Interior views include stairwells, library space, and hallways. One copy of an axonometric drawing of the newer addition to the building.

Evans, Steven

North York City Hall

Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.

Applied Photography Ltd.

No. 1A Pocket Kodak

Item is a folding camera for 2 1/2 x 4 1/4 in. exposure on A116 film. The Autographic feature allowed notes to be made on the film by scratching them into the film paper with a special stylus. A window opened in the back of the camera to expose the backing paper. Has a Kodak F-79 lens.

Metro Toronto Reference Library

Built in 1977, this building was featured in the July 1984 issue of Canadian Architect magazine on atriums. Interior and exterior views. The name was changed to "Toronto Reference Library" in 1998 when it was incorporated into the Toronto Public Library system. It is the biggest public reference library in Canada.

Meteorological Headquarters building

The headquarters building is four storeys high, aproximetely 430 ft. long by 210 ft. wide and has a gross floor area of 340.000 sq.ft. Two courtyards occupying the center bays of the building provide natural light to interior offices and laboratories. The building programme included offices, warehousing facilities, classrooms, lecture theatre, research library and archives, cafeteria and specialized scientific facilities such as observetion domes, radar equipment and wind tunnels. Views of the courts, lobby, typical service core. Interior and exterior views.

Maple Leaf Gardens

Aerial view of the yellow brick arena with large dome, built in 1931, located at 438 Church Street in Toronto. It was home ice for the Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey team) until 1999. It was purchased by Loblaw Companies in 2004 and in 2009 it was announced that a portion of the arena would be used for Ryerson University althletics, thanks in part to federal government contribution.

Lutheran Church Bayview

This file contains 12 medium format black and white negatives of the St. Lukes Lutheran Church located at the intersection of Finch and Bayview avenues in Toronto, Ontario.

Results 1 to 100 of 214