Showing 1725 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Canadian Architect
Print preview View:

823 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

People Series

This series contains photographs of people associated with and featured in the Canadian Architect Magazine. Many of the photographs appear to have been used or consulted as part of the magazine proofs. The photographs contained within this series range from the 1950s up until 1995 and consist of portraits, candids, and posed group photographs. Additionally, many of the photographs in this series do not contain dates or inscriptions.

At some point, prior to this description, these images appear to have been removed from their original order and separated out due to subject matter. This series was created because it was no longer possible to arrange these materials in their original, working order.

Canadian Architect

Folder 4 People Series

This folder consists of photographic prints of people associated with or featured in Canadian Architect magazine, includes portraits and group photographs. Architects in this folder include Alan Tregebov, Joe Lobko, Paul Jurecka, Maureen Anderson, Anthony Shine and Norbert Schoenauer. This folder also contains several black and white paper prints including copies of a 1943 or 1944 photo of architects John Bland, Alvaro Ortega, Sheila Baillie, Ray Affleck, Ted Baker and Rolf Duschenes. Several photographs are not dated.

Canadian Architect

Folder 10 People Series

This folder contains photographic prints of people associated with or featured in Canadian Architect magazine between 1986 and 1989. Architects pictured include E. Ronald Hershfield, Ontario Association of Architects president in 1989, Claude Mercier, Thomas Hodne, as well as Alan Tregebov, Joe Lobko and Paul Jurecka.

Canadian Architect

Garden Court Apartments

Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.

Kettle, John

North Bridlewood public school

Exterior view of the single-storey concrete school building, taken in winter, and two interior views of classrooms. 1 classroom with students, 1 art room, empty and cluttered.

Jowett, Henry Roger

Vancouver, 4001 Mt. Seymour Pkwy

Winner of 1974 CHDC. Jury comments: "Sensitivity to form, exellent siting with good circulation combine to create both unit and community scale very appropriate to the setting. Neighbourhoods are visually identified by use of colour changes. Although these houses are attached, there isa walkway from front to back for each unit plus a separate basement entry.

Roaf, John

Montreal, Le 2000 Peel

Artist's conception of the office complex at the corner of Peel Street and Maisonneuve Boulevard. The building was designed to be the world headquarters of the International Air Transportation Association.

Vancouver, John Grinnell residence

Folder contains 3 b&w photographs of the John Grinnell Residence of Vancouver, B.C. The residence was the 1964 Massey award.The architecture firm responsible for the project was Thompson, Berwick, Pratt & Partners, Architects, Engineers, Planners.

Pullan, Selwyn

Surrey, Ladner Mall

Folder contains an architectural rendering of the Ladner Mall in Ladner, B.C. The architecture firm responsible for the project was Thompson, Berwick & Pratt.

Canadian Architect

Vancouver, Courthouse

The provincial law courts are housed in a building designed by well known architect Arthur Erickson who created a building with an incredibly massive glass roof. From the aerial view you can also see the equally large reflecting pond that stretches out above Smythe St. Many of the lawyers and judges have lunch at the restaurant that looks out over this water feature and is open to the general public.
Folder also includes a photographic print of the Habitat Pavilion from June 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine. The project received an honour award and was built by Arthur Erikson Architects. The owner of the building is the Government of Canada.

Scott, Simon

Montreal, Expo 67, Habitat 67

Before and after construction views of Habitat. Interior views show examples of dwellings. Views at land and aerial level. Example of living and dining areas of one of ther unit by Francisco Furniture Ltd. Photographs of architect drawings and a shot of a model for Habitat.

Jowett, Henry Roger

Bowen Island, residence

This folder consists of photographs of the Bowen Island residence. Situated on two acres of a rocky island near Vancouver, the house consists of four connecting pavilions, design to give privacy to the owners while accommodating servants, guests and grandchildren. The design is Massey Medal winner of 1965. The review article was published in Canadian Architect in February 1965, p. 55. There are some B&W photos and a drawing plan of the residence.

Pullan, Selwyn

Vancouver, Beaton residence

Folder consists of 4 black and white photographs of the Beaton Residence located in West Vancouver, B.C in
September 1971. The architect on the project was Arthur Mudry.

Pullan, Selwyn

Montreal, La Cour Notre Dame

Photographs of the exterior of the building showing the historic facade and renovated courtyard, as well as interior shots of typical rooms in the apartments. Part of a renovation project begun in 1985.

Studio K-3

Montreal, Expo 67, Man Pavilions

Construction views and one view of a finished interior, showing the 1967 theme pavilions Man the Explorer and Man the Producer. The various other Man-themed pavilions (not represented in the collection) included: Man in the Community, Man the Provider, Man and his Health, and Man the Creator.

Plywood Manufacturers of B.C.

Laval, Papineau house

Photograph of the interior of the house. Owned by Andre Benjamin Papineau. Federal heritage building; art gallery. House was build for Montreal architect Andre Benjamin Papineau is located on a river edge. Materials of the house; fieldstone, red cider. Furniture designed be Papineau, except chairs.

Samulewitz, Hans

Avoca Apartments

Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.

Panda/Croydon Associates

44-46 Castle Frank road, Toronto

Photograph of a series of semi-detached houses. A piece of paper taped on the back of the photograph gives the location, designer, owner and the award decision from the Canadian Housing Design Council in Ottawa: National Design Award 1969. The photographer's stamp gives the studio as: N. & H. Studio.

N. & H. Studio

Montreal, Place Bonaventure

Photographs of building under construction, different views of exterior, terrace, swimming pool. Photographs of architectural model, illustrations of the building. Eight photographs of Concordia Hall including under construction and development views. Aerial view.

Jowett, H.R.

Westmount Square

Exterior view of office buildings within Westmount Square, Montréal. The four buildings, two of which are residential, were designed by architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The complex opened on December 13, 1967. (www.wikipedia)

Jowett, H.R.

St. Lawrence neighbourhood, Toronto - MISSING

Aerial views of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, a group of townhouses clustered around interior loop roads buffered from adjacent traffic arteries by higher density apartments containing street level retail arcades and with a linear promenade park strip along its entire length. The images were reproduced in an article on the St. Lawrence neighbourhood in the June 1981 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.

Vancouver, Canada Place

Canada Place, [Expo '86] is title of the article published in Canadian Architect in 1986 July, v.31, no.7, p.20-32. Article included aerial photo., site plans, photos., maps. Canada Place, situated on the downtown waterfront of Vancouver, British Columbia, opened in 1986 as the Canada Pavilion at Expo 86. It was later converted into the Vancouver Trade & Convention Centre. The theme of Canada Place is nautical. The building adorns the downtown waterfront with a superstructure resembling a large ocean vessel, a powerful prow thrusting into the harbour and a roof line of five white sails.

Lenscape Incorporated

Vancouver, Bayshore apartments

Folder consists of 4 photographic prints of the outside of the Bayshore Apartment complex. The building is attributed to Henriquez and Partners Architects, 322 Water Street, Vancouver, B.C.

Otte, Gary

Winnipeg, Green Blankstein Russell office

Picture shows a tree being transported to the front yard of the offices at 222 Osborne Street in North Winnipeg. A second picture shows the interior of the office space, with desk, tyepwriter, telephone and plant in foreground.

Phillips-Gutkin and Associates Ltd.

Rogers Centre (SkyDome)

Photographs of the architect's model and illustrations for the SkyDome, a covered convertible dome over a baseball field and entertainment stadium. Artist's illustrations of proposed designs from The Webb Zerafa Menkes Housdon Partnership and The Robbie/Adjeleian/Norr Consortium. Later photographs show the construction of the dome, and an aerial view of hte site. The building was renamed the Rogers Centre in 2005.

Lenscape Incorporated

Metropolitan Toronto Convention Centre

Interior and exterior views during construction and after completion. Construction view printed in Nov 1983 issue of Canadian Architect magazine, while full article was published in Nov 1984. An interior view of mezzanine was used as the cover image for that 1984 issue as well.

Burndy Canada Ltd. office & plant : Scarborough

The industrial building and offices has a steel frame, bolted in the factory area, and bolted and welded in the office area. The curtain wall of windows in the office area is accented by exposed exterior columns. This architectural detail (the columns) was originally developed by the architects for a school building, to aid in the addition of a second storey. The building has concrete floors throughout and a steel roof deck.

Canadian Architect

British American Oil Company Ltd., Ontario Division

Exterior views of the main Ontario Division Building office located at 800 Bay Street in Toronto. A Toronto Dominion branch bank is located on the main floor of the building, with a sign visible in one of the photographs. Interior view with workers seated at rows of desks.

B-A Oil Photo

Roy Thomson Hall

Home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. Starting date of the construction is 1978, opened in 1982. photographs of the model,different construction stages, completed building, interior and prespective view of Roy Thompson hall.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Fairview mall

Interior views of the Simpsons department store, and views of the shopping concourse between Eaton's, Simpson's and the Hudson's Bay Company (all major anchor stores in the mall). One exterior view of the mall, showing the Hudson's Bay Company store.

Panda/Croydon Associates

Central Technical School

Interior and exterior views of a high school campus. Several interior views of the school's Art Centre, which was profiled in Canadian Architect magazine in the July 1963 and 1964 issues.

Panda Associates Photography and Art Services

Vancouver, Burrard Marina

Located within the inner harbour of Vancouver, at the area known as False Creek, it functions to satisfy the needs of the average citizen with small boats (up to 40 ft.). The Marina is equipped with toilet facilities, a lounge with food vending machines, office for the manager and a caretaker suite.

Fulker, John

Sunlife Tower

3 exterior views of whole office building, including details of exterior facade. 4 interior views of a work area, including Women's Lounge and Board Room, of Aluminum Co. of Canada Ltd., office reception, and a private office at Massey-Ferguson Ltd.

Parkin Architects Limited

Toronto, St. Lawrence neighbourhood apartments

Photographs of the exterior of an apartment complex, including aerial views, walkways between buildings and construction views. Two illustrations show the proposed central green space between buildings and the placement of the apartments on a map.

St. Lawrence Market

Exterior photographs of the South Hall market, constructed in 1844 by William Thomas, J. Winston Siddall and H.B. Lane. This barn shaped brick building is located at 51 Front Street East in Toronto. The nearby classical revival hall, located at 151 King Street East, was originally built in 1851 and restored in 1967. Photographs include exterior views of renovation, and interior views of the hall ballroom.

North York City Hall

Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.

Applied Photography Ltd.

Hamilton, City Hall

Interior and exterior views of the concrete and glass building, including stairwells, patios, office and meeting space, lobby and main entrance.

Canadian Architect

Victoria, Centennial Square Project

Mayor Roderick Finlayson's first objective after his election to office in January of 1878 was to erect a city hall. Overriding the opinions of the townsfolk who considered the whole idea an unnecessary extravagance, $10,000 was allocated and a competition announced for plans. The winner was John Teague. City Hall was to contain a corn market, surveyors' quarters, apartments for the assessor, a jail, a police court, a council chamber, committee rooms, and a museum gallery. The final form was a rectangular block, now comprising the south wing of the present City Hall. A good example of the Second Empire style, it is built in red brick with a tin mansard roof. The 1881 addition consisted of a small wing on the south-west corner for the Fire Department. In 1891 City Council approved a bylaw for the borrowing of $35,000 for the completion of the northeast addition. The new wing added to the existing building constitutes the present City Hall as it is seen today. In 1891, the main entrance was moved to the base of the tower block at the center of the Douglas elevation. The facade is divided into three bays, the projecting center bay carries the thrust of the 140-foot-tall brick and stone tower block. The entrance is further accented by a balustrade over the indented porch. On May 6, 1891, C.E. Redfern was awarded the contract for the installation of the clock which had been manufactured by Messrs. Gillet & Johnson of Croydon, Surrey, England. Four 500-pound dials each 706 inches in diameter and the 2,170 pound bell had to be lifted into place. The clock requires winding once a week. Since 1891 there have been no major alternations, except those connected with the Centennial Square project in 1963. At this time the interior was completely renovated and an International Style addition was constructed at the west end. This was carried out by the architectural firms of Wade, Stockdill, Armour & Partners and R.W. Siddall & Associates, under the direction of Rod Clack, city architectural consultant and director of special planning projects.
Architect: John Teague
Additions: Wade, Stockdill, Armour, R.W. Sidall, R. Clack

http://www.maltwood.uvic.ca/Architecture/ma/urban_planning/centennial_square/city_hall.html
The focal point is a fountain, its balustraded rim reminiscent of pieces from Oscar Niemeyer's Brazilia scheme (1958), and the mosaic concrete totems by local artist J.C.S. Wilkinson. The fountain was a centennial gift to the City from neighbouring municipalities.
This folder also contains photographs of the Civic Square in Victoria, B.C from June 1965.

Fulker, John

Maple Ridge, Municipal Town Hall

Folder contains photographic prints of the Maple Ridge Municipal Hall & Plaza in B.C. The architecture firm responsible for the project was Henriquez and Partners Architects of Vancouver, B.C.

Canadian Architect

Vancouver, Edgemont Terrace

Folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Edgemond Terrace in Vancouver, B.C. The architects on the project were Wilding & Norman S. Jones, M.A.I.B.C., President.

Mr. Jones received a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of British Columbia in 1957. Later he was awarded the B.C. Electric Post Graduate Fellowship for study in Europe. Mr. Jones became a registered member of the Architectural Institute of B.C. and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada in May 1960. He has been in private practise continuously
since that time.

Awards and Recognitions:

Canadian Housing Design Council Awards
Edgemont Terraces, North Vancouver, BC

Fulker, John

Cloverdale, Dogwood Gardens

The folder consists of 4 b&w photographs of Dogwood Gardens at 5850 177b Street is an 86 unit complex in the heart of Cloverdale. This complex boasts many great features for families including an outdoor pool, clubhouse, fish pond, putting green, playground, plenty of gardens and greenspace. Close to shopping, transit, restaurants, schools and parks.
Dogwood Gardens was the Canadian Housing Design Council winner of the award for Residential design in 1971. Caption on verso: "A fine example of medium density housing. The random placing of blocks around four activity areas offer unit variety and identity with special inner spaces. Although a number of different materials and forms are used this is done with great skill and there is a consistant and unified whole to the housing."

Boutry, Bryan

Vancouver, Denman Place

CHDC Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971
Verso: "An excellent mixed-use complex of housing, shops, restaurants, theatre and hotel space which relates well to its urban setting and serves as a catalyst for the improved development of the area." Developer of the project was Confederation Life Assurance Co. of Toronto, Ontario. Designers were Norman S. Jones, MRAIC of Vancouver and James A. Murray, FRAIC of Toronto, Ontario.

Pullan, Selwyn

Vancouver, Choklit Park townhouses

A winner of the Canadian Architect award of excellence in 1983, the Choklit Park Townhouse project comprises four townhouses on a 15 by 33m site. This site, which has a 15m vertical drop, overlooks downtown, False Creek and the North Shore mountains. Folder also contains 1 colour photograph taken of the Choklit Park Townhouses in October 1985.

Sherlock, John

Port Moody, Cecile Drive residence

Typed note on verso:
NATIONAL DESIGN AWARD 1969
This condominium housing - a pioneer of it's kind in BC, through the simple use of local materials and good siting achieves a very natural architectural character. The retention of treed areas, the consideration of grading for access, and siting for views, indicate the high degree of attention given to living considerations. The suites are well planned. The vertical stacking of the suites was necessitated by requirements in the early BC strata titles act concerning individual ownership which have since been changed. Good housing provided at a reasonable cost.

Central Mortgage & Housing Corporation

Vancouver, Bedford Glen

The folder consists of one black and white photograph of The Bedford Glen. The Bedford Glen (Annau Associates, 1976) is a remarkable ensemble that won several architectural awards. It's such a strange building, almost wedding-cake in its exuberance with those arches and a remarkable bridge spanning its units, underpasses, and overpasses, yet it holds together.

Canadian Architect

Alexandra Park housing cooperative

Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.

Jowett, Roger

Resultaten 1 tot 100 van 1725