January 1, 1978? : The Department of Physical Resources is established with the consolidation of three existing departments:
- Campus Planning
- Physical Plant
- Communications Engineering Services
Thus, the new department's responsibilities includes new building construction, renovations to existing space, plumbing, heating, cooling, light and power, furniture inventories, and, services for computers, TV, audio, telephone, language labs, and projectors and screens, as well as safety and security [from Guide to Physical Resources Services, March 1981 in RG 8.02.]
- John Ezyk, head of Campus Planning, becomes Physical Resources Director
- Dick Crichton, Associate Director - Plant Operations
- George Hume, Associate Director - Planning
- Kurt Mayer, Co-ordinator, Communications Engineering Services.
1986 : Communications from unit, Communications Engineering Services (CES), departs from the Department of Physical Resources and amalgamates with the Computing Centre to form a new department, Computing and Communications Services (CCS) with John Johnston as Director (RG 63). With the departure of Communications, the remaining sections were Engineering, Planning, and Plant Operations; however, other services were moved from Operations and created as two additional units, Campus Services and Security & Safety.
June 1990 : The Department of Physical Resources is divided into two departments :
- Campus Planning and Construction, under Director George Hume
- Physical Plant Operations, under Director Ron MacLean