Photograph of a nineteenth century clapboard church with bell tower which was removed from its location (pictured) due to the rising waters of the St. Lawrence seaway. (Information from typewritten caption pasted on verso.) The area being submerged was one of the earliest settled in Upper Canada and a key battle site during the War of 1812. This church was preserved as part of Upper Canada Village (Morrisburg, Ontario), a restored historic village operated as a museum and recreation area.
Exterior view of church entrance, with huge ceramic mural executed by Claude Vermette, and interior view of a decorative panel "Blessed Virgin Mary" designed by J. C. Charuet. Additional interior view of round altar in the centre of the church.
Interior and exterior views of a brick church building. A central rose window with icon of Mary and Child are photographed both front and back. Other photographs include views of the nave and altar, and decorative panels depicting the Stations of the Cross.
In 1971 a feasibility study investigated the possibility of demolishing the existing church and placing it in the body of a multi-storied high rise complex designed by Arthur Erickson. Although the redevelopment was supported by the majority of the congregation, it was opposed by the public, and after much lobbying, in 1976 the cathedral was named a Heritage building in the municipality of Vancouver and the Province of British Columbia. Architecture firm on the project was Erikson/Massey Architects of Vancouver, B.C.
Interior church decoration, featuring metal letters adhered to the wall with phrases such as "God is Love". Views of altar and worship space, located at 41 Chatsworth Drive near Lawrence and Yonge Streets in Toronto.