Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.
Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.
Architect's model for a hotel tower on the South side of Queen Street, situated across from Nathan Phillips Square and Toronto City Hall. Published in an article in Canadian Architect magazine indicating this was the winning design. The location is now home to the Four Seasons Sheraton Hotel.
Photograph of a model design proposed for the redevelopment of the old stock exchange building. The design included a tower with 13 storeys of office space and 11 storeys of condominiums. The design was never implemented, and instead the Ernst & Yonge Tower was constructed on the site.
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.
Interior and exterior views of the building. This office building has a 'green roof', which reduces the amount of energy required to heat and cool the building. It also has an extensive shopping mall at the ground floor and an arboretum with a waterfall at the Queen Street entrance. The double-decker elevator cabs are found inside the atrium, which stretches the entire height of the building.
Exterior view of a mid-rise apartment building, in red brick, located at 25 Henry Terrace in Toronto. The building is constructed of four blocks, attached by elevated walkways, and houses residential apartments as well as a Catholic school.
Illustrations of the office building at 95 Wellington Street West, and one photograph of the site plan. Stamp on verso of photographs gives the architectural firm as Pellow Architect. The building is part of the Toronto-Dominion Centre complex in downtown Toronto.
1 photograph of the exterior of the office building and another of the interior lobby area. The interior view has been cut and adhered to a clear plastic backing, and bears the photographer's stamp for Applied Photography Ltd.
Photograph of a design concept drawing for the McMurrich Street Condominiums, a joint venture by the Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Belmont Construction Company Limited. A piece of paper is taped to the back of the photograph.
Interior and exterior views of a single family dwelling, a Queen Anne Victorian townhouse with third storey addition and 1960s interior remodeling. Rounded, stuccoed walls and wood panneling can be found in the interior.
Architect's model for the Scotiabank office tower at the corner of King and Yonge Streets in downtown Toronto. The design incorporates the historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 story high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.
Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.
Aerial views of the St. Lawrence neighbourhood, a group of townhouses clustered around interior loop roads buffered from adjacent traffic arteries by higher density apartments containing street level retail arcades and with a linear promenade park strip along its entire length. The images were reproduced in an article on the St. Lawrence neighbourhood in the June 1981 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Photographs of the exterior of a planned community in Toronto, with both high rise and townhouse structures. Views of the highrise block under construction. One interior view of a living room and dining room inside one of the two-storey townhouses.
Interior and exterior views of a high-rise office tower and lower-level shopping concourse, designed in glass and concrete. One view of courtyard outside the building. Shopping area shows a Mappins retail store and a telephone booth.
Maquette of two office towers with landscaping, shot in colour and black and white. A sticker on the verso of one of the photographs lists the two towers and The North American Life Centre and The Xerox Tower, to be located at the North-West corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.
Photographs of the exterior of an apartment complex, including aerial views, walkways between buildings and construction views. Two illustrations show the proposed central green space between buildings and the placement of the apartments on a map.
Photograph of the Sutton Place Hotel, taken from the corner of Bay and St. Joseph Streets, looking South on Bay Street. Two car dealerships are visible on opposite sides of the street, advertising car brands Imperial, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Valiant.
Small photograph adhered to clear plastic showing exterior of a skyscraper, sometimes referred to as the "Inside-Out Building" because many of its pipes and conduits are exterior to the building. The building was the topic of a critique of office buildings with exposed structures in the February 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine titled "Exposing High Tech". The Llyod's building is sometimes
Exterior view of a high rise residential building. A piece of paper adhered to verso gives details of the Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design that this building received in 1971. Extract from Jury report: "The jury admired the planning approach which resulted in the living groups formed by the plan of this building. It is a good, competant structure which is clean in appearance, positive and strong. Its relationship to the street is very good." Designer: Elmar Tampold, J. Malcolm Wells Architects. The building is located at the corner of Bloor Street and Madison Avenue in Toronto and is a co-ed housing complex for post-secondary students, founded by the Estonian community in Toronto.
Photograph of the exterior of a high rise apartment building that has been retrofitted by Westeel. The new exterior cladding is advertised as thermally efficient and durably constructed, and was featured in a Spec Sheet for Preformed Metal Siding in Canadian Architect magazine for July 1985.