Showing 434 results

Archival description
Canada With digital objects
Print preview View:

Portrait of three children with toys

Item is a pink cabinet card with red backing. In gold letterpress at bottom, "Peppiatt FERGUS." Image is of three children with toys. The youngest is seated in the centre holding a doll in her lap. On the left, a child in striped dress sits on a rocking horse, and to the right, a boy stands holding the reins to a wooden horse head lying on the floor. On verso, in pencil, "1.00".

Peppiatt

Canadian Architect magazine fonds

  • F 2009.002
  • Fonds
  • 1955-[ca. 1990]

The archive contains thousands of negatives and photographs taken for publication in Canadian Architect magazine. As announced in the magazine's inaugural issue, Canadian Architect reviewed and documented both public and private structures, including churches, homes, businesses, airports, government offices and public spaces. The subjects of the photographs are generally modern Canadian structures, but images of some International sites and early 20th century Canadian buildings can be found in the collection as well. The collection also contains images of entries to the annual national design awards program sponsored by the magazine, the "Awards of Excellence." The collection also functions as a record of the changing nature of magazine production over the latter part of the 20th century. Canadian Architect was the first business publication in Canada to make engravings on site from original photographs, allowing for a rich selection of both prints and negatives. Instructions by editors and layout artists regarding their eventual printing in the magazine are often written directly on the prints, along with photographer's stamps, credit lines or captions.

Canadian Architect

Montreal, Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archeology and History, Éperon building

The Éperon building was constructed to complement the existing historic architecture of the area, and was built to match the proportions of the Royal Insurance Company building that was previously on the site. The building matches the roof lines of the other structures on the Rue de la Commune, and the tower building (pictured) is an easily identifiable element in the museum complex.

Chen, Roderick

Montreal, Church of Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette

Exterior view of church entrance, with huge ceramic mural executed by Claude Vermette, and interior view of a decorative panel "Blessed Virgin Mary" designed by J. C. Charuet. Additional interior view of round altar in the centre of the church.

Wright, Bruce

Montreal, Montreal Life building

In the Canadian Architect article in which this image was published, the building design is discussed as an example of a sensitive revival of past architecture with a modernist aesthetic.

Associated Commercial Photographers Ltd.

Montreal, Expo 67, Air Canada Pavilion

Photographs of the exterior of the pavilion. One of the photographs has text printed at the lower margin reading " 'Man and Flight' is the theme of Air Canada's striking red and white pavilion at Expo. Plywood-clad cantilevered blades fan out from a central support column to form a dramatic roof." The verso of that photograph is stamped "Plywood Manufacturers of B.C. Photograph".

Plywood Manufacturers of B.C.

Banff Series

The file is comprised of 42 black and white acetate negatives. A selection accompanied "Banff 1958," a transcription of three addresses by Paul Rudolph at the annual Session at Banff and published in The Canadian Architect in March of 1959.

James A. Murray

Fountain in Rosedale

This file contains a series of black and white acetate negatives depicting a steel fountain by Gordon Raynor, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Meltzer of Toronto and published in the August 1958 issue of The Canadian Architect.

Gordon Raynor

Copies of Crutcher Paintings - City Scene

The file contains 3 black and white acetate copy negatives of paintings by Lewis Crutcher. Images of the paintings accompanied the article "Banff 1958 Cityscape" by Lewis Crutcher and were published in the March 1959 issue of The Canadian Architect.

Lutheran Church Bayview

This file contains 12 medium format black and white negatives of the St. Lukes Lutheran Church located at the intersection of Finch and Bayview avenues in Toronto, Ontario.

Copy Negs from J. Acland

This file contains a series of black and white acetate copy negatives produced by James H. Acland. A selection of these images appeared in the article titled Shopping Centres, a special issue, October 1958.

James H. Acland

Roy Thomson Hall

Home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. Starting date of the construction is 1978, opened in 1982. photographs of the model,different construction stages, completed building, interior and prespective view of Roy Thompson hall.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Sunlife Tower

3 exterior views of whole office building, including details of exterior facade. 4 interior views of a work area, including Women's Lounge and Board Room, of Aluminum Co. of Canada Ltd., office reception, and a private office at Massey-Ferguson Ltd.

Parkin Architects Limited

Results 1 to 100 of 434