The file is comprised of 42 black and white acetate negatives. A selection accompanied "Banff 1958," a transcription of three addresses by Paul Rudolph at the annual Session at Banff and published in The Canadian Architect in March of 1959.
This file contains a series of black and white acetate negatives depicting a steel fountain by Gordon Raynor, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Meltzer of Toronto and published in the August 1958 issue of The Canadian Architect.
The file contains 3 black and white acetate copy negatives of paintings by Lewis Crutcher. Images of the paintings accompanied the article "Banff 1958 Cityscape" by Lewis Crutcher and were published in the March 1959 issue of The Canadian Architect.
This file contains a series of black and white acetate copy negatives produced by James H. Acland. A selection of these images appeared in the article titled Shopping Centres, a special issue, October 1958.
Home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. Starting date of the construction is 1978, opened in 1982. photographs of the model,different construction stages, completed building, interior and prespective view of Roy Thompson hall.
3 exterior views of whole office building, including details of exterior facade. 4 interior views of a work area, including Women's Lounge and Board Room, of Aluminum Co. of Canada Ltd., office reception, and a private office at Massey-Ferguson Ltd.
Aerial view of the yellow brick arena with large dome, built in 1931, located at 438 Church Street in Toronto. It was home ice for the Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey team) until 1999. It was purchased by Loblaw Companies in 2004 and in 2009 it was announced that a portion of the arena would be used for Ryerson University althletics, thanks in part to federal government contribution.
Interior and exterior views during construction and after completion. Construction view printed in Nov 1983 issue of Canadian Architect magazine, while full article was published in Nov 1984. An interior view of mezzanine was used as the cover image for that 1984 issue as well.
Photographs of the architect's models. This building was given an Award of Merit by the Governor General's Awards for Architecture in 1990, and an Award of Excellence by the Ontario Association of Architects Awards in 1988.
Photographs of the exterior of a building under construction, and two interior views looking out through the steel support beams, designed with 3 cubes balanced on their points on a rectangular concrete base. The idea was licensed from Dutch architect Piet Blom by Toronto entrepreneur Ben Kutner. Designed from prefabricated steel and glass, the houses were supposed to take advantage of otherwise unusable property space in Toronto like laneways and rooftops. The house has since been abandoned and the cubes are used for commercial signage.
Exterior views of Victorian row houses originally built in the 1880s, altered in 1981. The house was first owned by Alfred Hoskin, a barrister, and is referred to in the Canadian Architect magazine issue for October 1985 as "Hoskin House".
Interior and exterior views of the City TV building at the corner of Queen and John streets in Toronto, with interior views of the main floor and production areas. One illustration of the building dated November 1986. Details of the stonework on the original Gothic Revival office building are visible.
Exterior view of the college which houses the Training and Education unit of the Toronto Police Service. The building houses classrooms, labs, a range, pool and gymnasium. A piece of paper taped to the back of the image gives the architects as: Wilson, Newton, Roberts, Duncan.
Photograph of a scale model of the 80 acre CityPlace development inserted into an aerial photo of Toronto's skyline. Developed by CN Real Estate, CityPlace is bounded by Front Street, Lakeshore Blvd., Bathurst Street and CN Tower Lands and includes Toronto's new Domed Stadium (Rogers Centre/ SkyDome). (Text taken from sticker on verso of photograph.)
Two story residence designed by Barton Myers for his own use in Toronto's Yorkville area. The house fills a narrow urban lot, approximately 25 x 188 feet. There is a central courtyard with greenhouse roof. An article on the house was published in the April 1972 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.
Building located at 10 Avoca Ave in Summerhill neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. File contains 3 photographs and 1 typed note describing the apartment development: 2 exterior views of the two residential towers and 1 interior view. Stamped by the photographer: Panda photography, and one of the prints is also stamped with the Canadian Housing Design Council logo.
Two archival photographs of the hall and auditorium, taken of the Pantages ca. 1920 and detail photographs of the theatre's restoration in 1989, including plaster mouldings and frescos. The cover image from the October 1989 issue (also of the Pantages Theatre ceiling) is not present in the file.
Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.
Parish church located at 701 Bloor Street West in Toronto. Exterior view of solid brick construction with interlocking brick corner detailing and bell tower. A piece of paper adhered to vero lists the details of the building's submission ot the OMRC Annual Design Awards in 1967. Name of Building: St. Joan of Arc Roman Catholic Church. Location: Corner Bloor St. W and Indian Grove Rd., Toronto. Date of Completion: April, 1967. Architect: William Saccoccio. Consulting Structural Engineer: E .J. Beauchamp & Associates. General Contractor: Smid Construction Ltd. Masonry Contractor: Smid Construction Ltd. Source of Structural Clay Products: Domtar Construction Materials Ltd.
Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.
Photographs of the winning design for the 1987 competition to design a combined opera and ballet performance space for the National Ballet of Canada and the Canadian Opera Company. A plot of land at the corner of Bay and Wellesley Streets in Toronto was donated by Ontario Premier Bill Davis and the buildings were demolished. In 1992, the new Premier Bob Rae cancelled the project due to excessive cost. The land was sold to commerical developers. The 'Opera Place' condominiums now occupy the location. In 2002 a new competition was launched with substantial funding from the Four Seasons hotel chain, and the house opened with a more modest design based on European opera houses in 2006 at the corner of Queen Street and University Avenue.
Architect's model for a hotel tower on the South side of Queen Street, situated across from Nathan Phillips Square and Toronto City Hall. Published in an article in Canadian Architect magazine indicating this was the winning design. The location is now home to the Four Seasons Sheraton Hotel.
View of the city skyline from one of the Toronto Island docks. A sailboat and harbourplane are visible in the picture.This image was featured in an article discussing outdoor spaces in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Photograph of a model design proposed for the redevelopment of the old stock exchange building. The design included a tower with 13 storeys of office space and 11 storeys of condominiums. The design was never implemented, and instead the Ernst & Yonge Tower was constructed on the site.
Photographs of the exterior of a trolley streetcar built into a glass enclosure on the side of a building, operated as a restaurant. A TTC streetar can be seen exiting the station adjacent to the restaurant in one of the photographs. An article on the interior decoration was published in the May 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Photograph of the exterior of a low-rise office building at night. Office has a large decorative concrete mural above the main entrance designed by Don Wallace, Primavera Design Group, and the related article in Canadian Architect magazine discusses the creation, shipment and installation of this piece.
Detail of an entranceway to the chapel wing of the Gothic revival building, showing decorative stonework typical of the style: stone tracery, pointed arches, clustered columns (collonnettes) and elaborate figure carving.
Photograph of a low-rise residential co-operative housing complex located at 1974 Victoira Park Avenue in Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of the photograph gives deails of the 1962 CHDC National Award competition for Multiple housing.
Illustrations showing an idealized reconstruction of the section of the Gardiner Expressway and Lakeshore Boulevard, crossing the Don Valley Parkway and extending to the waterfront. Drawings include mixed-use infills under the Gardiner (with the existing Lakeshore roadway relocated south toward the water), and the creation of a Garden Boulevard to the east with commercial uses on either side. Ponds, lakes and fountains are inserted along the shoreline. The designs were commissioned as part of an OAA Charrette, and the images were published in the July 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Exterior views of mid-rise concrete building, partially open at ground level to act as an event podium, supported by large concrete pillars. One view, taken at a distance, shows a statue in foreground.
File contains a letter and certificate sent by Emily Carr University Chancellor Geoff Plant, Board of Governor's chair Blair Qualey, and President Dr. Ron Burnett to commemorate President Lachemi's installation.