Showing 179 results

Archival description
Canadian Architect magazine fonds Quebec (prov)
Print preview View:

139 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Canadian Centre for Architecture Exhibition Photos: "Cités de l'Archéologie Fictive : Oeuvres de Peter Eisenman, 1978-1988/ Cities of Artificial Excavation: The Works of Peter Eisenman 1978 - 1988"

Photographs of the exhibition installation as well as images of the architectural plans and finished buildings featured in the exhibition. This exhibition focused on Eisnman's drawings and models for four key works: submission to the International Design Seminar in Cannaregio Venice, Italy (1978); the submission to the South Friedrichstadt housing competition of the Intrernationale Bauausstellung, Berlin (1980-81); the project for the University Art Museum for California State University in Long Beach (1986); the submission Choral L. Works for the Parc de La Villette, Paris (1985-86).The exhibition was curated by Jean Francois Bédard and ran from March 2 - June 19, 1994.

Canadian Centre for Architecture Exhibition Photos: "Surface du Quotidien : La Pelouse en Amérique/ The American Lawn: Surface of Everyday Life"

The American Lawn is the fifth and final exhibition in the series The American Century, which seeks to cast a fresh eye on critical aspects of modern America’s architectural culture – its promises and disappointments, its roots and offshoots, its unparalleled worldwide impact. Other exhibitions include Scenes of the World to Come: European Architecture and the American Challenge, 1893–1960 (1995); Frank Lloyd Wright: Designs for an American Landscape, 1922–1932 (1996); Viewing Olmsted: Photographs by Robert Burley, Lee Friedlander, and Geoffrey James (1996); and The Architecture of Reassurance: Designing the Disney Theme Parks (1997). Among the objects and documents displayed in the exhibition are Space Age lawnmowers, lawn ornaments, stereoscopic photographs of the “border crossings” between lawns, excerpts from the cinema of the lawn (such as Blue Velvet), vintage television footage of protests on the Washington Mall, sports shoes with high-tech cleats and patented grass. Photographs in the file include College Station, Texas; Grounds of Mrs. Harold W. Hacks, Short Hills, New Jersey and Weyerhauser Corporate Headquarters. The exhibition ran from June 16 - November 8, 1998 and was curated by Beatriz Colomina, Elizabeth Diller, Alessandra Ponte, Ricardo Scofidio, Georges Teyssot and Mark Wigley with Mark Wasiuta and Gwynne Keathly.

Stoller, Ezra

Quebec, Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous photographs of various buildings in Montreal, Quebec. Buildings include University of Montreal Science Library, Le Marche Hamel, World Trade Centre, Montreal, Novotel, Place Minto. File also includes Press releas regarding the Asquith Green Art Competition, 1987.

North Hatley, Minton Hill House [project folder]

Project binder describing the construction of Minton Hill House, a private residence for a single occupant in Quebec's Eastern Townships. The binder contains information on the architect, client, and consultants as well as a brief description of the landscape and the design influences. Floorplans and elevations are included as well as photographs of the finished residence.

Affleck + de la Riva Architects

Côte Saint Luc, Sports and Recreation Center [project folder]

Project binder describing the construction of the Côte Saint Luc Sports and Recreation Center in Quebec. The binder contains information on the architect, client, and consultants as well as a brief description of the landscape and the design influences, including the architects' incorporation of an existing pool pavilion adjacent to the building site. Floorplans and elevations are included as well as photographs of the finished building.

Affleck + de la Riva Architects

Canadian Centre for Architecture Exhibition Photos: "Dieter Appelt : La catastrophe des choses/ The catastrophe of things"

Images in the exhbition featured the attic of the Künstlerhaus Bethanien in Berlin. Fascinated by sites charged with history, German artist Dieter Appelt uses his examination of the attic to inquire into the invisible, mysterious, and indefinite forces of decay that lie beyond everyday experience. By concentrating on structural details, and by confronting the surfaces of the wooden beams, he has photographed the attic in such a way that it becomes a new reality, marked by the corrosive signs of passing time. Photographs of images in the exhibition: No. 3, 5 and 14 from the sequence Bethanien, 1984-91.

Appelt, Dieter

Montreal, Expo 67, Aerial views

erial views of the Exposition grounds during construction. The site after construction of new land. The site of Expo then and ow. One photograph (2009. 00.1303.001) is site just before work began on enlarging in July 1963 and the exhibition grounds after.

Montreal, Expo 67, Place d'Accueil

La Place d'Accueil is the main gate for Expo 67. A huge plaza of 2½ acres is on a middle level, above a bus station which is also used by taxis and the terminals of the Expo-Express and the Trailer Train which connects to Ci du Havre points.On the middle level, and on a third level, are information booths, travel offices, accommodation bureaux, shops, banks, a liquor store, restaurants, snack bars, lounges and a day hotel. There is a direct footway from the plaza to the International Broadcasting Centre. A striking architectural feature of the place is its roof -- in the shape of a huge umbrella. It is made up of seven plexiglass hexagons.

Harder house

Exterior views of a house. "Harder House" inscribed on all versos. Stamped "JOSEPH BAKER ARCHITECT / 1500 SHERBROOKE STREET WEST - MONTREAL25, QUE."

Montreal, Les Terrasses

Views of the exterior of the building and the entrance. Les Terrasses was a shopping mall that operated from 1975-1983. Centre Eaton de Montréal opened on the site in 1991. A stamp on verso gives the project name as "Les Terrasses," the Architectural firm as Webb, Zerafa, Menkès, Housden, and the Proprietors as Rose Quebec Ltd. & First Quebec Corporation, D.W.S. Holdings & Gerald D. Hines & Interests.

Montreal, Pointe-à-Callière, Montréal Museum of Archeology and History, Éperon building

The Éperon building was constructed to complement the existing historic architecture of the area, and was built to match the proportions of the Royal Insurance Company building that was previously on the site. The building matches the roof lines of the other structures on the Rue de la Commune, and the tower building (pictured) is an easily identifiable element in the museum complex.

Chen, Roderick

Montreal, La Comédie-Canadienne theatre

Photographs of the renovation of the former Radio-City cinema in Montreal. It was purchased by Gratien Gélinas for La Comédie-Canadienne in 1957 and renovated by André Blouin.

La Comédie-Canadienne was active from 1958-1969. The company produced Canadian and Québecois theatre, dance and music productions. The company closed down in 1973 and its theatre became the permanent home of the of Theatre du Noveau Monde (http://www.tnm.qc.ca).

Taillefer, Paul

Jonquière, Alcan Industrial Complex

From Canadian Architect magazine, July 1985: [the building] features a curved profile at the top in aluminum cladding. Light enters large windows at the building's ends and middle and through translucent panels on the south wall and stairwells. Openings below the floor allow for ventilation and are coupled with a plenum in a heat distribution system.

Granby, Ave Maria School

Photographs of the exterior of the single storey elementary school building. 16 classrooms and offices are grouped around a central auditorium. View of entrance mural above main entrance painted by Adrian Vilandré. The building has a light steel structural frame with brick veneer and tongue-and-groove boards for exterior finishing. All windows are double-glazed, ceilings are perforated fibreboard, flooring is vinyl asbestos tile.

Studio Alain Enrg.

Montreal, Church of Notre-Dame-de-la-Salette

Exterior view of church entrance, with huge ceramic mural executed by Claude Vermette, and interior view of a decorative panel "Blessed Virgin Mary" designed by J. C. Charuet. Additional interior view of round altar in the centre of the church.

Wright, Bruce

Montreal, Cormier House

The house Cormier built for himself (1930-31) in the Golden Square Mile, an elegant Montréal neighbourhood. Cormier experimented with a variety of styles in the house: Art deco on the facade, monumental on one side and more modernist in the back. Cormier created most of the furniture, with remaining pieces acquired at the 1925 Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes in Paris

Merrett, Brian

Colisée du Québec, Québec

Photograph of the coliseum after renovations in 1982. A sticker on the back of the photograph reads: "Distinction en architecture 1982/ L'agrandissement du Colisée du Québec/ Bégin et Rodrigue/ Photo: Jocelyn Huard"

Huard, Jocelyn

Montreal, Le Drug

Photographs of the interior of the shop and entranceway. Le Drug was a multipurpose building that also functioned as a popular theatre, dance hall, art museum and caffe in Montreal's art scene.

Montreal, Le Château Champlain - Place du Canada

Photographs of the exterior of the building, as well as interiors of L'Escapade and Caf' Conc' (dining areas). The 38 floor hotel is known today as the Marriott Chateau Champlain Hotel.
The interior of the hotel was designed by David T Williams (New York) and Earle A Morrison (Vancouver).

Canada Pacific

Mont-Joli, Maurice Lamontagne Institute

Image of a model for the building.
Located near Mont Joli, Quebec, MLI has been the world's leading francophone marine sciences centre since it was established in 1987 by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO). It is primarily involved in providing the federal government with methods of conserving marine resources, protecting the marine environment, safe marine navigation, as well as research, monitoring and assessment of fisheries, marine mammals, oceanography, and habitats of the Estuary and Gulf of St. Lawrence and Northern Quebec. The Canadian Hydrographic Service at the MLI is responsible for the nautical charts for the region. Also contained within the MLI are the Laurentian Regional Science Branch and the Regional Oceans Branch of the DFO. The MLI takes part in joint projects with the Groupe interuniversitaire de recherches en océanographie du Québec (GIROQ), the Université du Québec à Rimouski, and the Institut maritime du Québec.

Martinez house, Saint-Bruno

Photograph of the exterior, side-view, in winter. A sticker adhered to the back of the photograph reads: "Distinction en architecture 1982/ La résidence Martinez-Camps/ Jorge Martinez-Camps"

Montreal, Monastère du Bon-Pasteur

Aerial view of the buildings. A sticker adhered to verso reads "The Monastère du Bon-Pasteur/ Montreal, QC/ Grand Prize/ The Montreal Trust - Credit Foncier Award". The monastery, the main building on the site, was built to house the Sisters of the Cornmunauté de Notre-Dame du Bon-Pasteur d'Angers, who came from France in 1844 at the behest of Mgr Bourget. Today the Bon Pasteur siteis a multipurpose complex, combining housing, cultural amenities and services, etc.

Cours Mont-Royal (Mont-Royal Hotel)

Illustration of the exterior of the building and interior view, looking up towards the glass ceiling. Originally the site of a 1046 room hotel built by Ross & Macdonald. Renovated in 1989 by Arcop Group into a mixed-use complex with condominiums, office space and retail/restaurant space. The renovation preserved much of the exterior.

Centre Eaton de Montréal

Photograph of an illustration of the building before completion. A piece of paper adhered to the back of the photograph reads "The $50-million Eaton Centre will feature 244 retail outlets, siz movie theatres and underground parking for 525 cars."

Results 1 to 100 of 179