Interior and exterior views of a house renovation. The tall Victorian home was clad in grey shingle and pale wood, and the interior space was opened up and rounded statement walls painted green complement exposed metal piping. Views of dining room, kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom.
Architect's model of the building. Sticker on back of photograph reads: Model of the Homeworld mega centre in Metropolitan Toronto, looking north towards Highway 401. The semi-translucent fibreglass dome will measure 240X240 feet and soar 120 feet from ground level. Photo credit: Zeidler Roberts Partnership/ Architects. Information: 416 968 2100."
Exterior views of Victorian row houses originally built in the 1880s, altered in 1981. The house was first owned by Alfred Hoskin, a barrister, and is referred to in the Canadian Architect magazine issue for October 1985 as "Hoskin House".
Photographs of the interior of the Cabana Executive Suite, featuring a marble-finished bathroom. The is hotel located at 1 Harbour Square in Toronto and was purchased by the Westin hotel chain in 1987, then renamed the Westin Harbour Castle. The hotel was also featured in the December 1986 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Renovation and addition to a heritage property located at 2 Gloucester Street in Toronto. The original Masonic building was constructed in 1888. The addition to this building won a Canadian Architect Award of Excellence in 1972.
The gas works building located at 251 Front St., built in 1887-1888, belonged to the Consumers Gas Company and produced gas for light fixtures. It was known as Purifying House No. 2. The file contains an image of the interior of the building being gutted. The basilica-style interior space is evident in the empty room. In 1985, The Canadian Opera Company purchased the buildings north of the lane and commenced an comprehensive $10 million restoration program with Bregman, Hamann and Arcop Associates. It would later house the Imperial Oil Opera Theatre and the Joey and Toby Tanenbaum Opera Centre.
Exterior view of a house at 4 Old George Place in Toronto. The style is influenced by Japanese, West Coast Canadian and Native Canadian architecture, with sloping rooflines and durable materials that integrate with a natural setting. The structure is made of red brick, interspersed with cedar sections and glass panes.
Photographs of the exterior of a planned community in Toronto, with both high rise and townhouse structures. Views of the highrise block under construction. One interior view of a living room and dining room inside one of the two-storey townhouses.
Photographs of the exterior of the building also known as the "Flatiron" at 49 Wellington Street East in Toronto. The Romanesque Revival building was constructed in 1892 as an office building and has been designated a heritage property. The photographs in this file were probably taken to illustrate the construction of the CN Tower, contrasting with an older, well-known city landmark and showing the effects on the skyline before and after.
Interior church decoration, featuring metal letters adhered to the wall with phrases such as "God is Love". Views of altar and worship space, located at 41 Chatsworth Drive near Lawrence and Yonge Streets in Toronto.
Streetscapes, showing Ed's Warehouse on King Street West in Toronto, next to the Royal Alexandra Theatre and an advertisement for Old Ed's, one in the group of warehouse restaurants, from the Lakeshore Boulevard.
Photograph of the rear garden area of an unknown residential building near Dundas and Sherbourne Streets in Toronto. A paved walkway separates the building from the rear entrances to neighbouring homes and apartments.
Folder contains 2 b&w photographs of the Currie residence in Claremont, Ontario. Detail view of upper storey windows, clad in cedar shingling. Exterior view of backyard during winter, brick chimney and cedar shingling visible.
Office and shopping complex located at 99 Yorkville Avenue. Office space designed by Webb, Zerafa, Menkes, Housden partnership for their own use. Published in the May 1974 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Architect's model of the stepped library building, with arched main entrance, an atrium connecting six floors, curved staircases, and semi-circular balconies. Design by Moriyama and Teshima. Adhered to the same paper backing is a photo of an artist's illustration of the Crown Life building by Bregman + Hamann.
Exterior view of a mid-rise apartment building, in red brick, located at 25 Henry Terrace in Toronto. The building is constructed of four blocks, attached by elevated walkways, and houses residential apartments as well as a Catholic school.
Illustrations showing an idealized reconstruction of the section of the Gardiner Expressway in the downtown core of the city, extending to the waterfront. Drawings include the reversal of the positions for the elevated Gardiner Expressway and Lakeshore Boulevard, and improved the major east-west traffic routes through the area. The designs were commissioned as part of an OAA Charrette, and the images were published in the July 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Interior and exterior views of a high-rise office tower and lower-level shopping concourse, designed in glass and concrete. One view of courtyard outside the building. Shopping area shows a Mappins retail store and a telephone booth.
Photographs show the interior/ auditorium of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre as photographed in April 1958 for an article on acoustics in theatre design, and the Shell Oil clock tower (also known as the Bulova tower).
Interior and exterior views of the City TV building at the corner of Queen and John streets in Toronto, with interior views of the main floor and production areas. One illustration of the building dated November 1986. Details of the stonework on the original Gothic Revival office building are visible.
Photograph of a street sign situated in the middle of a grassy lawn, with office buildings in background. This image was taken as part of a commentary on colonnades for a special article in Canadian Architect magazine, titled "Citizen and the City". A part of the caption reads: "When the street is removed, both the colonnade and the building are removed from the public realm to the acropolis and we as citizens are left, not with a way through, but a way around." (p.32)
Interior and exterior views of a car dealership and service centre, showing lounge areas, showrooms with cars, mechanics' work areas, garage doors, and entrances to the building. The building is located on the Queensway near highway 427 in Toronto.
Exterior view of the college which houses the Training and Education unit of the Toronto Police Service. The building houses classrooms, labs, a range, pool and gymnasium. A piece of paper taped to the back of the image gives the architects as: Wilson, Newton, Roberts, Duncan.
Interior view of the lobby area, looking out through the windows. The building was renamed the William Tamblyn Centennial Building in 2007. It houses the Faculty of Engineering as well as classrooms and science labs. The photograph is stamped with the photographer's name: Panda/Croydon Associates.
Aerial views of the Gothic Revival castle located at 1 Austin Terrace in Toronto, and a small colour photograph of the base of the Baldwin steps, named for the original landowner and former premier of Ontario Robert Baldwin, a public pathway which connects two sections of Spadina Road and is often used by visitors to the historic castle.
Photograph of a scale model of the 80 acre CityPlace development inserted into an aerial photo of Toronto's skyline. Developed by CN Real Estate, CityPlace is bounded by Front Street, Lakeshore Blvd., Bathurst Street and CN Tower Lands and includes Toronto's new Domed Stadium (Rogers Centre/ SkyDome). (Text taken from sticker on verso of photograph.)
View of entrance lobby, with couch and reception desk. The studio is owned by Barb McLeod, who specializes in 2 and 3 dimensional fibre art. The Gallery space was owned and operated by Barb McLeod and Drew Easterbrook from 1981-1990.
Exterior views of the main Ontario Division Building office located at 800 Bay Street in Toronto. A Toronto Dominion branch bank is located on the main floor of the building, with a sign visible in one of the photographs. Interior view with workers seated at rows of desks.
Two story residence designed by Barton Myers for his own use in Toronto's Yorkville area. The house fills a narrow urban lot, approximately 25 x 188 feet. There is a central courtyard with greenhouse roof. An article on the house was published in the April 1972 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Interior views of the eating area of a café and restaurant in the York Quay Centre at Toronto's Harbourfront Park. Materials inlcude rough sawn, bleached wood, glazed steel sash and textured rubber flooring, enhanced by batiked cotton and sailcloth banners for a nautical effect. Photographs and contact prints adhered to lined 8 1/2 x 11 notepaper. The images were printed in the Sept 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Two photographs of the exterior of a low-rise public housing development. Built between 1964-68 by the Ontario Housing Corporation. The housing complex is located in the city block bounded by Dundas Street, Spadina Avenue, Queen Street West and Bathurst Street. A stamp on the back of the photograph gives the photographer as Roger Jowett.
One small colour photograph in which the sign "Hotel Admiral" is visible on the roof of the building. The two black and white prints show the hotel under construction. The building was purchased by Radisson and became the Radisson Admiral Hotel.
Exterior view of a luxury condominium development on Bay Street. A piece of paper taped to the back of the photograph gives the property developers as The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and Revenue Properties Limited.
Photograph of a six-story brick and beam office building. Built in 1913 for the manufacture of jewelry and ancillary industrial uses, renovated in 1980s by Dunlop Farrow Aitken Architects. The 1983 renovation was reviewed by Canadian Architect magazine in the December 1983 issue. This building was designated a Heritage Property by the City of Toronto in 2005.
Photograph of the extension built onto the back of the Georgian heritage property. The addition won the Award for Residential Design in 1971 from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Text on the back of the photograph gives extracts of Jury report.