View of the entrance of the building including details of extarior and interior, main lobby, staircase and Henry Moor Gallery. Contains images of models for the façade [196-?]. Images from two exhibitions can be found in the collection: "Contemporary Furnishings" from 1958, showing Walker Court with chairs and items from local stores, and "The Bauhaus: 50 Years" from 1970. With 45,000 square metres (480,000 sq ft) of physical space, the AGO is one of the largest art museums in North America.
The Joseph Shepard Building is located in the urban core of the North York region of Toronto. The fourteen-storey, modern office complex is pyramidal in form with stepped massing and an asymmetrical plan. The building's walls are clad in rust-red and brown clay brick and have continuous bands of windows and brick spandrels that create a strong horizontal emphasis. Prominent features of its design are its five-storey atrium, many open-air terraces, public courtyard and accessible mall. A strong architectural vocabulary unifies the interior and exterior. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Photographs of the architect's models. This building was given an Award of Merit by the Governor General's Awards for Architecture in 1990, and an Award of Excellence by the Ontario Association of Architects Awards in 1988.
Photograph of a model design for the office tower. From a typewritten description taped to the verso of the photograph: Maquette of the new office complex which will be built by Louis Dreyfus Properties on McGill College Avenue. The first tower, to be located at the corner of Maisonneuve Boulevard and McGill College, will become the BNP tower.
Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.