Photographs of the architect's models. This building was given an Award of Merit by the Governor General's Awards for Architecture in 1990, and an Award of Excellence by the Ontario Association of Architects Awards in 1988.
Photographs of the exterior of a trolley streetcar built into a glass enclosure on the side of a building, operated as a restaurant. A TTC streetar can be seen exiting the station adjacent to the restaurant in one of the photographs. An article on the interior decoration was published in the May 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
Interior and exterior views of the building. This office building has a 'green roof', which reduces the amount of energy required to heat and cool the building. It also has an extensive shopping mall at the ground floor and an arboretum with a waterfall at the Queen Street entrance. The double-decker elevator cabs are found inside the atrium, which stretches the entire height of the building.
View of the rear of the building, a 4 storey brick structure with mansard roof and turret dating to 1881, overlooking a waterfall. A piece of paper has been taped to the back, indicating the building was entered in the 1977 Design Award Program for renovations converting the mill to a hotel.
Photographs of the exterior of the single-storey brick building, with flower beds lining the parking lot and a view of the lawn in the rear. A sticker on the back of one of the photographs gives the details of this building's entry into the OMRC Annual Design Awards by Anthony Kemp, Architects.
View of the entrance of the building including details of extarior and interior, main lobby, staircase and Henry Moor Gallery. Contains images of models for the façade [196-?]. Images from two exhibitions can be found in the collection: "Contemporary Furnishings" from 1958, showing Walker Court with chairs and items from local stores, and "The Bauhaus: 50 Years" from 1970. With 45,000 square metres (480,000 sq ft) of physical space, the AGO is one of the largest art museums in North America.
Interior views of the eating area of a café and restaurant in the York Quay Centre at Toronto's Harbourfront Park. Materials inlcude rough sawn, bleached wood, glazed steel sash and textured rubber flooring, enhanced by batiked cotton and sailcloth banners for a nautical effect. Photographs and contact prints adhered to lined 8 1/2 x 11 notepaper. The images were printed in the Sept 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
1 photograph of the exterior of the office building and another of the interior lobby area. The interior view has been cut and adhered to a clear plastic backing, and bears the photographer's stamp for Applied Photography Ltd.
Photograph of a model design for the office tower. From a typewritten description taped to the verso of the photograph: Maquette of the new office complex which will be built by Louis Dreyfus Properties on McGill College Avenue. The first tower, to be located at the corner of Maisonneuve Boulevard and McGill College, will become the BNP tower.
Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.
The Joseph Shepard Building is located in the urban core of the North York region of Toronto. The fourteen-storey, modern office complex is pyramidal in form with stepped massing and an asymmetrical plan. The building's walls are clad in rust-red and brown clay brick and have continuous bands of windows and brick spandrels that create a strong horizontal emphasis. Prominent features of its design are its five-storey atrium, many open-air terraces, public courtyard and accessible mall. A strong architectural vocabulary unifies the interior and exterior. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.