Showing 45 results

Archival description
Oakham House
Print preview View:

Palin Hall Campus Centre

File contains: Preliminary Plans (36" x 24") - Basement, Ground Fl., 2nd. Fl., 3rd. Fl., Rear Elevation, Sketches. c.1975-76 (after June '75, before 1977). Drawings by E. George Kneider.

E. Palin Hall, 63 Gould St

File contains:

  1. Existing Floor Plans (42 1/2" x 24") - Basement, 2nd. Fl., 3rd. Fl., Section MD-5, Section MD-6, Room Finish Schedule. Dated July, 1975. Drawings by E. George Kneider. Architects.

  2. 4 Floor plans dated October 1975. (D1,D2,D3,D4)

E. Palin Hall: Revisions to Existing Floor Plans

File contains E. Palin Hall: Revisions to Existing Floor Plans (42 1/2" x24") - A1-A-19; Plus: 2nd. Fl. Ceiling Plan; Basement Reflected Ceiling Plan; Ram's Corral & Licensed Lounge Seating Plan; Room Finish Schedule. Drawings by E. George Kneider. Architects. Dates: Nov. 3 & Dec. 17, 1975.

Candy wrapper and Pencil

This file contains a newspaper article and correspondence as well as a candy wrapper and pencil.

Invoice: From David Smith To Mrs. William Thomas

This document appears to be an invoice and is dated August 2, 1849. It is from David Smith, "Silk and Woollen Dyer, Scourer, Hot Presser & C." to Mrs. William Thomas, wife of the noted architect who designed Oakham House. This document was retrieved from the Oakham House documentation file.

Letter: To W. Thomas From Niagara Board Of Police

This is a letter to William Thomas from the Clerk of the Board of Police, Niagara, concerning the installation of the roof over the Market House and Town Hall. Thomas designed the Court House, Town Hall and Market buildings (1846-1847). This document was retrieved from the Oakham House documentation file.

Wallet

This file contains a wallet, that belonged to a resident of the Working Boys Home (now Oakham House). It was found during renovation.

Oakham House documentation files

This file contains notices and posters advertising Oakham House events and program, newsletter, memorandums, News Releases, menus.

Renderings by William Thomas

Two framed renderings by William Thomas, noted architect who designed and lived in Oakham House. One rendering is of the steeple of St. Michael's Cathedral (Thomas is credited with the main design of the Cathedral although the final design of the steeple is attributed to another architect). The other is a rendering from a book entitled, "Designs for Monuments and Chimney Pieces by William Thomas", published by John Weale of London, England. Both renderings are reproductions of originals held in the Baldwin Room of the Toronto Reference Library.

Unveiling of plaque at William Thomas gravesite

Photographs, invitation, newsletter report, videotape relating to the unveiling of a special bronze plaque next to the gravestone of William Thomas in St. James Cemetery in Toronto, and the subsequent reception at Oakham House. The plaque contains the transcribed text from the gravestone, which had become illegible over time but was available through cemetery records. The gravestone itself was partially restored. Funds for both the plaque and the restoration were provided by various heritage groups under the coordination of Mr. Stephen Otto. After the unveiling ceremony, the attendees (numbering about 25 and including relatives of William Thomas) were invited to Oakham House for refreshments, including a birthday cake in honor of the anniversary of Thomas' 200th birthday.

Kerr Hall student residents

This file contains one black and white group photograph of first Kerr Hall residents, and 3 photocopies of group photograph.

William Thomas and Oakham house

A scrapbook "William Thomas of Oakham House" containing news clippings, photographs, correspondence and committee records pertaining to Oakham House and the architect and original owner, William Thomas.

Oakham House Choir

This file contains 2 photographs of Oakham House Choir performing in its first concert at St. Michael's Cathedral on April 10, 1985, directed by Mathew Jaskiewicz.

Rowsell's City Of Toronto And County Of York Directory

This file contains Toronto City Directory (1950-1951) that was found in the floor of Oakham House during 1965 remodelling.The directory belonged to noted architect, William Thomas, who built Oakham House as his residence in 1948. File contains also articles, photocopies of selected pages from a 19th century Toronto city directory that was transferred to the Ryerson Archives; and RPI Library Circulation book card.

Brochures and pamphlets

This file contains two Oakham House Conferencing brochures "A Touch of History in the Heart of Downtown", and one Oakham House Wedding Packages brochure.

RPI Residence Scrapbooks

4 Scrapbooks, containing textual records, photographs, and graphic material documenting residence life at Ryerson Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in the 1960's. Kerr Hall as Oakham House)

Print: Oakham House

Item consists of a photograph of Oakham House and students walking away and towards the building.

Eric Palin trophy

Oversized trophy awarded to the outstanding graduate in Electrical and Electronic Technology and RTA. Winner's names engraved on small plaques on base.

Oakham House dogs

Two cast iron golden retriever dogs used as horse ties when house first built.
The dogs were designed by architect William Thomas to hitch horses to and were located in front of his Oakham House residence. Thomas lived in the house until his death in 1860. The house was sold to another family and then in 1899 the house, along with the dogs, was sold to the Society for Working Boys- a home for disadvantaged youth in Toronto. When Ryerson University acquired the building in 1958, the dogs, originally located at the building’s Church Street entrance, were no longer there. They had been removed to the new location of the Boys Home. When Ryerson retrieved the dogs in 1982, the Toronto Historical Board wanted the pair to be mounted in their historical place in the front of the house. In the interest of protecting them from vandalism they were placed inside the house, and then adopted by the Archives in 2010.

Also included are correspondence and related material to the "Name the Dogs" contest held by the Archives to celebrate the Dog's move to the Archive holdings.

Thomas, William, 1799-1860

Posters

This file contains 35 posters advertising Oakham House events.

Ryerson Events Calendar

This file contains 20 Ryerson Events Calendars, produces monthly by Oakham House with support from various Ryerson Groups.

Ryerson Institute of Technology Kerr Hall

Brass sign that was mounted outside on the building. Kerr Hall officially opened on November 21, 1960. It was re-named Oakham House after Howard Kerr Hall officially opened in 1964.

Marble clock

File contains the marble clock that was removed from a lounge in Oakham House, probably during renovations in the 1970s. Photographic evidence of its hanging location exists in the archives.