Showing 467 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Canadian Architect magazine fonds Toronto
Print preview View:

190 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Roy Thomson Hall

Home of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra and the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir. Starting date of the construction is 1978, opened in 1982. photographs of the model,different construction stages, completed building, interior and prespective view of Roy Thompson hall.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Toronto Pearson International Airport, Old Terminal 1

Interior and exterior of the development of the Toronto International Airport, showing photographs of planes, baggage claim, parking garages. Design drawings were published in the May 1958 issue of Canadian Architect. The airport was originally known as the Malton Airport, opened in 1937, and was redeveloped as an International Airport in the 1960s, and renamed in 1984 for former Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.

Jowett, H.R.

Sunlife Tower

3 exterior views of whole office building, including details of exterior facade. 4 interior views of a work area, including Women's Lounge and Board Room, of Aluminum Co. of Canada Ltd., office reception, and a private office at Massey-Ferguson Ltd.

Parkin Architects Limited

Art Gallery of Ontario

View of the entrance of the building including details of extarior and interior, main lobby, staircase and Henry Moor Gallery. Contains images of models for the façade [196-?]. Images from two exhibitions can be found in the collection: "Contemporary Furnishings" from 1958, showing Walker Court with chairs and items from local stores, and "The Bauhaus: 50 Years" from 1970. With 45,000 square metres (480,000 sq ft) of physical space, the AGO is one of the largest art museums in North America.

Applied Photography Ltd.

CIL House Offices

Head office is jointly occupied by Catholic Education Center. Building cost was 33.5 million including land and construction. View of entrance, interior and exterior of the building. Images 2009.002.016.002 & 003 had yellow sticky notes attached indicating they were considered for the July 1982 cover of Canadian Architect magazine. The sticky notes were kept with the files. Images of the reception area show a ceramic mural by Angelo di Petta called Canadian Allegory. This mural is made of 84 tiles which will cover the entire third floor lobby wall.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Canada Trust building

Height approx. 263.0m, completed 1968. Building is located at 110 Yonge Street in Toronto. View of the main entrance. This building was designated a heritage property in 1990.

Panda Associates Photography and Art Services

Toronto, Bank of Montreal, 30 Yonge Street

Built in 1885 for the Bank of Montreal, this branch bank was one of the few buildings in the are to survive Toronto's Great Fire of 1904. Designed by Darling and Curry, the architects who had recently completed the equally august Victoria Hospital for Sick Children on College Street, the Bank of Montreal's head office was the most striking of Toronto's nineteenth-century bank buildings. The building remained a branch until 1982. The Hockey Hall of Fame officially opened in this building, incorporated into the BCE Place development, in 1993. The new $35 million facility has almost 60,000 square feet of floor space. There is access from shopping mall concourse level at BCE Place. The Hockey Hall of Fame is a world-class sports and entertainment facility and is one of Toronto's prime tourist attractions drawing hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. "Hockey Hall of Fame - About Us," Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum, 2010. Accessed on October 21, 2010. http://www.hhof.com/html/gi20300.shtml

Meteorological Headquarters building

The headquarters building is four storeys high, aproximetely 430 ft. long by 210 ft. wide and has a gross floor area of 340.000 sq.ft. Two courtyards occupying the center bays of the building provide natural light to interior offices and laboratories. The building programme included offices, warehousing facilities, classrooms, lecture theatre, research library and archives, cafeteria and specialized scientific facilities such as observetion domes, radar equipment and wind tunnels. Views of the courts, lobby, typical service core. Interior and exterior views.

Toronto Eaton shoping center

View of the model, details of exterior and interior of the constructed building. Aerial views of the center. Total retail floor area 159,979.0 m2. It has five floors and fist was opened in 1977

Crang & Boake Inc.

Confederation life building

View of the exterior of the building, terra-cotta detail above the window and aerial level of the building. The building was constructed ca. 1890. Several interior views of hallways, windows and stairs.

CN Tower

Photographs of the CN Tower before, during and after construction. Mainly aerial views of exterior.

Panda Associates Photography and Art Services

Fairview mall

Interior views of the Simpsons department store, and views of the shopping concourse between Eaton's, Simpson's and the Hudson's Bay Company (all major anchor stores in the mall). One exterior view of the mall, showing the Hudson's Bay Company store.

Panda/Croydon Associates

Maple Leaf Gardens

Aerial view of the yellow brick arena with large dome, built in 1931, located at 438 Church Street in Toronto. It was home ice for the Toronto Maple Leafs (Hockey team) until 1999. It was purchased by Loblaw Companies in 2004 and in 2009 it was announced that a portion of the arena would be used for Ryerson University althletics, thanks in part to federal government contribution.

North York City Hall

Interior view of office space on main level. The building ceased to function as a municipal city hall after North York was amalgamated into the Toronto Metropolitan Area in the late 1990s. It now serves as the North York Civic Centre, located on Yonge Street north of Sheppard Avenue.

Applied Photography Ltd.

Rogers Centre (SkyDome)

Photographs of the architect's model and illustrations for the SkyDome, a covered convertible dome over a baseball field and entertainment stadium. Artist's illustrations of proposed designs from The Webb Zerafa Menkes Housdon Partnership and The Robbie/Adjeleian/Norr Consortium. Later photographs show the construction of the dome, and an aerial view of hte site. The building was renamed the Rogers Centre in 2005.

Lenscape Incorporated

Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - subway stations and streetcars

Reprints of historical photographs of streetcars, including the Bay Streetcar (May 1, 1937) and streetcar track construction at Bay and Wellington streets (May 8, 1925). A streetcar enters the St. Clair West subway station (date unknown). View of Rosedale Valley subway bridge by John B. Parkin & Associates. Interiors of Dupont subway station (January 26, 1978), Saint Clair West station (date unknown), and Yorkdale subway station (date unknown). View of Yorkdale subway station (date unknown).

St. Lawrence Market

Exterior photographs of the South Hall market, constructed in 1844 by William Thomas, J. Winston Siddall and H.B. Lane. This barn shaped brick building is located at 51 Front Street East in Toronto. The nearby classical revival hall, located at 151 King Street East, was originally built in 1851 and restored in 1967. Photographs include exterior views of renovation, and interior views of the hall ballroom.

Metro Toronto Reference Library

Built in 1977, this building was featured in the July 1984 issue of Canadian Architect magazine on atriums. Interior and exterior views. The name was changed to "Toronto Reference Library" in 1998 when it was incorporated into the Toronto Public Library system. It is the biggest public reference library in Canada.

North York, Joseph Shepard Federal office building

The Joseph Shepard Building is located in the urban core of the North York region of Toronto. The fourteen-storey, modern office complex is pyramidal in form with stepped massing and an asymmetrical plan. The building's walls are clad in rust-red and brown clay brick and have continuous bands of windows and brick spandrels that create a strong horizontal emphasis. Prominent features of its design are its five-storey atrium, many open-air terraces, public courtyard and accessible mall. A strong architectural vocabulary unifies the interior and exterior. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Applied Photography Ltd.

Nash house

Interior and exterior views of a single family dwelling, a Queen Anne Victorian townhouse with third storey addition and 1960s interior remodeling. Rounded, stuccoed walls and wood panneling can be found in the interior.

Jones, Edward

Neilson building, Toronto

Photographs of a 3-storey glass and concrete office building, square in shape and symmetrical in design. Photographed in winter, with snow on the ground.

Jowett, Henry Roger

New York life building, Toronto

Skyscraper office building located at 121 Bloor Street East in Toronto. The building was completed in 1982, and this image was published in the November 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.

North American Life Centre and Xerox Tower, Toronto

Maquette of two office towers with landscaping, shot in colour and black and white. A sticker on the verso of one of the photographs lists the two towers and The North American Life Centre and The Xerox Tower, to be located at the North-West corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue.

Lenscape Incorporated

North Bridlewood public school

Exterior view of the single-storey concrete school building, taken in winter, and two interior views of classrooms. 1 classroom with students, 1 art room, empty and cluttered.

Jowett, Henry Roger

Northeast Court restaurant development

Exterior view of restaurant with glass atrium and steel(?) roof. Signs for "Pappr's good eats" and "St. Hubert Bar-B-Q" in the foreground. Designed for Northeast Land Incorporated by E.D.A. Collaborative Inc., Landscape Architects and Alfred Szeto Architect. Building was located at Finch Avenue, East of Kennedy Road in Toronto.

Our Lady Queen of Croatia Church

Interior and exterior views of a brick church building. A central rose window with icon of Mary and Child are photographed both front and back. Other photographs include views of the nave and altar, and decorative panels depicting the Stations of the Cross.

Pantages Theatre

Two archival photographs of the hall and auditorium, taken of the Pantages ca. 1920 and detail photographs of the theatre's restoration in 1989, including plaster mouldings and frescos. The cover image from the October 1989 issue (also of the Pantages Theatre ceiling) is not present in the file.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Paul Kane house

Photographic reproduction of an architectural elevation on postcard backing. The original stucco cottage built in 1853 was renovated twice by the original owner, Paul Kane. It was owned by the Kane family until 1903, then it was briefly used as a church hall by the Evangelical Church of the Deaf. The property was leased by the Church-Isabella Residents Co-operative Inc. in 1985 and incorporated into a larger residential development.
(Information taken from Toronto Historical Board plaque on property.)

Posluns house

Single-family dwelling. Exterior views of brick and wood home in landscaped property; interior views of living room.

Jowett, Henry Roger

Four Seasons Sheraton hotel

Architect's model of a hotel complex, and illustration showing hotel in streetscape at 123 Queen Street West. The finished building was featured in an article in Canadian Architect magazine in May 1973. One photograph of the building, taken from the east along Queen Street.

Panda Associates Photography

Harbourfront Revitalization

Views of the Harbourfront boardwalk or promenade, stretching 2 1/2 miles along Toronto's waterfront. One of the photos has been edited using a white wash. Also views of condominium developments along the quay, and contact prints include images of York Quay Centre, Power Plant Gallery at Harbourfront Centre, and Spadina and Bathurst Quays.

Sandler, Tom

Don Mills, Southill Village

Interior and exterior views of a townhouse complex. Exteriors of the two and three storey buildings are pictured, as well as interiors. The housing plan was devised by Roy P. Rogers Enterprises Ltd. and based on the success of Chatham Village in Pittsburgh, USA, a planned community established in 1932 as a "social and economic demonstration." In Southill Village, the first unit type was two storey with a split-level entrance, the second was similar but the entrances are emphasized through two floors as a contrast. The third unit type had a flat roof and the last type was a split-level building which appears to be a one-storey building from the street.

Fleet, Max

Lord Simcoe Hotel

Exterior views of high rise hotel constructed ca. 1957, located at 150 King Street West. It was replaced by the Toronto Stock Exchange Tower in 1983.

Scaramouche restaurant

Interior views of restaurant dining and lounge areas. Lighting features rows of exposed brass bulbs, painted drywall and pale wood accents.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Western section, Gardiner Expressway, concept drawings

Illustrations showing an idealized reconstruction of the section of the Gardiner Expressway between Bathurst Street and Sunnyside Pavilion (near the base of Parkside Drive), extending to the waterfront. Drawings include the addition of a new waterfront park, viewing platforms hung under the raised expressway, Front Street is extended to the west, and an amusement pier at Sunnyside. The designs were commissioned as part of an OAA Charrette, and the images were published in the July 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.

Scotia Plaza

Architect's model for the Scotiabank office tower at the corner of King and Yonge Streets in downtown Toronto. The design incorporates the historic Bank of Nova Scotia head office building at 44 King Street West, which was designed by architects Mathers and Haldenby (with Beck and Eadie), and built from 1946 to 1951. This 115 m (377 ft) tall, 27 storey building was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Toronto in 1975. It was completely renovated with major, historically sensitive architectural design changes including a 14 story high glass atrium connecting the original building to the new, 68 storey structure.

Canadian Architect

Sears house

Additions and alterations to a single family home, completed with stucco and decorated with a Southwest theme.

Educational buildings, SEF program (Study of Educational Facilities)

Photographs of buildings constructed under the SEF (Study of Educational Facilities) program by the Metropolitan School Board. These buildings were featured In the article "SEF - A Critical Evaluation" published in Canadian Architect, February 1972, pp.26-33. The buildings are used as a critique of the SEF program by prominent Toronto Architects, including:Howard V. Walker, Ronald M. Glaiser, W. T. Pentland, George A. Robb, John N. Shaw, and Alan Wilcox. The buildings themselves are not named in the article, but Denlow Public School, Brooks Road Junior Public School, and Don Valley Junior High School have been identified. Articles on SEF also appeared in Canadian Architect, December 1969 and April 1971.

Simpsons Tower

Photographs of the interior and exterior of a glass and concrete high rise office tower, showing elegant dining area, escalators and stairs, and hallways.

Panda/Croydon Associates

Single family home renovation

Interior views of a remodelled 3-storey, semi-detached Victorian home, showing hallways with transom windows, stairwells, kitchen banquettes, shower stalls, and one exterior view of a Juliet balcony.

Burley, Robert

Southern Pacific hotels services offices

Two renovated Victorian homes turned into office space in Toronto's Yorkville neighbourhood. Interior photographs showing offices, waiting areas, hallways, bathrooms, stairwells, and pedestrian underground shopping concourse.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Toronto, St. Lawrence neighbourhood apartments

Photographs of the exterior of an apartment complex, including aerial views, walkways between buildings and construction views. Two illustrations show the proposed central green space between buildings and the placement of the apartments on a map.

Toronto, St. Joan of Arc Roman Catholic Church

Parish church located at 701 Bloor Street West in Toronto. Exterior view of solid brick construction with interlocking brick corner detailing and bell tower. A piece of paper adhered to vero lists the details of the building's submission ot the OMRC Annual Design Awards in 1967. Name of Building: St. Joan of Arc Roman Catholic Church. Location: Corner Bloor St. W and Indian Grove Rd., Toronto. Date of Completion: April, 1967. Architect: William Saccoccio. Consulting Structural Engineer: E .J. Beauchamp & Associates. General Contractor: Smid Construction Ltd. Masonry Contractor: Smid Construction Ltd. Source of Structural Clay Products: Domtar Construction Materials Ltd.

Geerling, Hans

Toronto, Standard Life building

Photograph of a design concept drawing for an office tower located at 121 King Street West in Toronto. The artist's signature is visible on the lower left corner: Connelly Sept 1985.

Connelly

Toronto, Sutton Place hotel

Photograph of the Sutton Place Hotel, taken from the corner of Bay and St. Joseph Streets, looking South on Bay Street. Two car dealerships are visible on opposite sides of the street, advertising car brands Imperial, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Valiant.

Jowett, Henry Roger

Toronto, Tartu College [student residence]

Exterior view of a high rise residential building. A piece of paper adhered to verso gives details of the Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design that this building received in 1971. Extract from Jury report: "The jury admired the planning approach which resulted in the living groups formed by the plan of this building. It is a good, competant structure which is clean in appearance, positive and strong. Its relationship to the street is very good." Designer: Elmar Tampold, J. Malcolm Wells Architects. The building is located at the corner of Bloor Street and Madison Avenue in Toronto and is a co-ed housing complex for post-secondary students, founded by the Estonian community in Toronto.

Panda/Croydon Associates

Independent Order of Foresters building / Temple building : Toronto

Exterior photograph of one of the first skyscrapers in Toronto, built in 1896 at the corner of Richmond and Bay Streets, and briefly the tallest building in the city. It was designed with a cast-iron frame and had a red-brick and Credit Valley stone façade designed to complement the Romanesque revival design of nearby buildings: Old City Hall and the Confederation Life building. It was demolished in 1970, and the property was re-developed by Y and R Properties into a new office complex at 390 Bay Street.

Garden Court Apartments

Exterior photographs of an art-deco low-rise apartment building in a manicured landscape, with ivy-covered cottages behind the main gate. Completed around 1939-41, this apartment complex covers a 5.5-acre site located in the Leaside nieghbourhood of Toronto at 1477 Bayview Avenue. The apartment buildings are grouped around a large, central courtyard, landscaped by Dunington-Grubb and Stensson. The building plans eliminated long corridors by having separate entrances and stairways serving four to six apartments, and each apartment extends from one side of the building to the other. Architectural drawings for The Garden Court Apartments are in the Page and Steele Collection at the Archives of Ontario. Five original drawings for the landscape survive in the Dunington-Grubb/Stensson Collection at the University of Guelph.

Kettle, John

Toronto, Toronto Ballet Opera House

Photographs of the winning design for the 1987 competition to design a combined opera and ballet performance space for the National Ballet of Canada and the Canadian Opera Company. A plot of land at the corner of Bay and Wellesley Streets in Toronto was donated by Ontario Premier Bill Davis and the buildings were demolished. In 1992, the new Premier Bob Rae cancelled the project due to excessive cost. The land was sold to commerical developers. The 'Opera Place' condominiums now occupy the location. In 2002 a new competition was launched with substantial funding from the Four Seasons hotel chain, and the house opened with a more modest design based on European opera houses in 2006 at the corner of Queen Street and University Avenue.

Rosenthal, Steve

Toronto, Toronto Design Centre

Illustration of a 5600 square metre showroom for interior design and contract furnishings, with a 2-storey granite and glass entry lobby, a landscaped inner courtyard and a 185 square metre exhibition space.

Toronto, Hilton Hotel

Architect's model for a hotel tower on the South side of Queen Street, situated across from Nathan Phillips Square and Toronto City Hall. Published in an article in Canadian Architect magazine indicating this was the winning design. The location is now home to the Four Seasons Sheraton Hotel.

Jowett, Roger

Toronto, Toronto French School

Photographs of the exterior of a three-storey brick school building with bay windows located at 101 Mildenhall Road in the Don Mills neighbourhood of Toronto. A piece of paper adhered to the verso of one of the photographs gives details of the building's submission to the OMRC Annual Design Awards in 1971. A loose paper gives details of a Merit Award received (possibly OMRC). An excerpt from the jury report: "Located on a difficult by very beautiful site in a well established residential part of Toronto,... The Jury felt that the architects had succeeded in creating with the simplest forms of construction and the most economical finishes interior and exterior environments conducive to the learning process, to a feeling of well-being and to a greater awareness of the empathy that can and should exist between student and the natural world."

Panda/Croydon Associates

Toronto, Cityscape

View of the city skyline from one of the Toronto Island docks. A sailboat and harbourplane are visible in the picture.This image was featured in an article discussing outdoor spaces in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.

Legg Brothers Ltd.

Toronto, Queen's Quay Terminal building

Exterior views of terminal building after conversion to multi-purpose building, from the water and interior views of south atrium with shopping concourse. One architectural drawing with caption: Architectural rendering of Terminal Warehouse façade when Queen's Quay Terminal at York is completed. One reprint of a newspaper photo of the terminal building when still in use as railroad terminal and offices of CN Rail.

Spalding-Smith, Fiona

Toronto Stock Exchange building

Photograph of a model design proposed for the redevelopment of the old stock exchange building. The design included a tower with 13 storeys of office space and 11 storeys of condominiums. The design was never implemented, and instead the Ernst & Yonge Tower was constructed on the site.

Toronto West Dentention Centre

Photograph of an illustration for a proposed addition to the centre, with an artist's signature in the lower right corner: P. Liang '83. Photographs of the main portion of the building were printed in the February 1978 issue of Canadian Architect magazine, and the original architects were Moffat, Moffat and Kinoshita Architects.

Resultaten 1 tot 100 van 467