Title and statement of responsibility area
Career Centre workshops and seminars
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1975 - (Creation)
- Career Centre
Physical description area
2.5 cm textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Ryerson Placement Office was first opened in 1949 with Mr. A.H. Britton running a part-time service for graduating students seeking employment. In preparation Mr. Britton sought out numerous employers in the Toronto area. In 1949 these same companies were contacting him for employable students. The were plenty of available employment opportunities. By 1965 demands were so high for placements three placement officers were needed.
In 1967 the federal government took over the Placement Office, renaming it the Canada Manpower Centre; however, it continued to be refered to as the Placement Office or Centre. The new Student Services department opened the same year within which was the Placement Office.
Services for summer employment started in the late 1970s, The first annual Careers’ Fair in 1984. In cost-cutting measures, the federal government closed the Canada Manpower Centre in WHEN? putting the whole office at risk. Acting President Dennis Mock fought to keep the Placement Centre open (1990-1991) and the students generated a petition in support of the Centre. Both Ryerson and Employment Canada reached an agreement to keep the Centre for another year. A five-year grant of $365,000 from the private Counselling Foundation of Canada saved the Placement Centre in 1991 prompting a name change to the Ryerson Career Centre.
Expanded services included continuing education students in 1993 and to alumni in 1997.
A student referendum held in 1995 voted an additional $50 fee toward the operation of the Career Centre. A private donation of $750,000 from the Bank of Montreal was given for the new Mentoring and Career Resource Centre (separate from the Career Centre).
Another name change to Career Development and Employment Centre and then in 2014 name was changed once again to the Career Centre.
Scope and content
The file consists of brochures and flyers with workshop schedules and descriptions for writing a resume and covering letter, discovering one's work skills, job search skills, interview skills, and self promotion.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals could be expected.