Collection 2018.09 - Bass Stereoscopic Photography Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bass Stereoscopic Photography Collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Object
  • Textual record

Parallel title

The late Dr. Martin J. Bass and Gail Silverman Bass Stereoscopic Photography Collection

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

2018.09

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1850 - ca. 1996] (Manufacturing)

Physical description area

Physical description

Approximately 8000 photographs : stereoscopic photographs. - 161 pieces of photograph viewing equipment : stereoscopes. - 17 pieces of photographic equipment : stereoscopic cameras. - Approximately 73 albums : photograph albums. - 115 books.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1882-1940)

Administrative history

Underwood and Underwood was established in 1882 by Bert and Elmer Underwood in Ottawa, Kansas. Originally they distributed stereographs made by eastern photographers in the Western United States. In 1884, they had expanded their franchise across North America and by 1889 opened offices in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and Liverpool, England. By 1890 Underwood & Underwood began publishing original stereographs taken by Bert Underwood. Underwood & Underwood was considered one of the most successful stereoscope publishers in North America in 1901.Underwood & Underwood began producing 25,000 views per day and 300,000 stereoscopes annually. It is suggested that in the earlier years of the company, Underwood & Underwood used H.C. White Company’s stereoscope model until developing their own. The principle stereoscope design by Underwood & Underwood included aluminum hoods, cardholders, and a folding handle. An easy identifiable feature of Underwood & Underwood stereoscopes is the friction joint built to fold the handle.

In 1910 the firm began specialising in news photography, ultimately stopping production of stereographs in 1920. Between 1912 and 1925 the company would sell the entirety of their glass stereo collection to competitor Keystone View Co.. By 1925 both brothers retired, leading to the reorganization of the company into four independent organisations all staying beneath the title of "Underwood & Underwood." These four branches included Underwood & Underwood Illustration Studios of New York, Chicago and Detroit; Underwood & Underwood Portraits, Inc., New York, Philadelphia and Cleveland; Underwood & Underwood, Washington and Chicago; Underwood & Underwood News Photos, Inc., New York.

Name of creator

(1892-1963)

Administrative history

Founded by B.L. Singly in Meadville, Pennsylvania in 1892 as a photographic image producer and distributor. In 1930, Keystone View Company reached its height of popularity but was purchased in 1963 by Mast Development Company when lantern slides became obsolete.

Name of creator

(1865-1909)

Administrative history

Kilburn Brothers is a American and Canadian photography studio and publisher founded by Benjamin and Edward Kilburn in 1865. In 1867 the company published a series of 30 views of Montreal and Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Benjamin made all the negatives for the company until 1867. In 1877 Edward Kilburn retired leaving Benjamin to run the company until 1909.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The collection contains stereoscopic photographs, viewers, and cameras, collected by the donors between the 1970's and the 1990's and dating from the 1850's to the 1990's. Material includes a variety of viewers, cameras, photographs, and ephemera relating to three-dimensional photography.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The collection was collected by the late Dr. Martin J. Bass and Gail Silverman Bass and donated to the Ryerson University Library and Archives by Gail Bass in 2018.

Arrangement

The collection has been arranged based on material type.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

For items in the public domain, no restrictions apply. Copyright restrictions may apply to some items.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area